My River Reef 94 Marine Adventure!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

well I just sold all the corals and rock and CUC plus some bits and bobs for £150. I paid a lot more for it all lol so a bargain for the chap whos bought it

Ive been looking at the river reef tank which i still have in my bedroom with some tiger barbs in and having the feeling of going marine again but slower and cheaper this time so seriously considering setting the tank up again and drawing from my experiences with the last tank
I will certainly have less coral in, wait and buy better live rock and add fish much later and see where that atakes me :)

so see you salty peeps soon :good:

I spent the morning & early afternoon at the hospital. My mom fell & fractured her shoulder. She'll be ok. I'm exhausted.

Reading this last post has brightened my day. Look forward to having you back, Simon. :)

oooo nasty difficult place to heal as well hope she is ok

it wont be immediate but its going to happen :) once i get a chance I'll be emptying and cleaning and then marine substrate and then the salt water mix and well no stopping me then :good:

Muwahaha! Addict! :shifty:

EDIT: just noticed in your sig you have a yellow annie and a FWC as well as boa now!! How cool! You have such good tastes!

Muwahaha! Addict! :shifty:

EDIT: just noticed in your sig you have a yellow annie and a FWC as well as boa now!! How cool! You have such good tastes!

he he yeah only updated the sig the other day, had the boa over 2 yrs and the fwc and annie since april and julyish. quality snakes I really want to find the space for a burmese

oooo nasty difficult place to heal as well hope she is ok

it wont be immediate but its going to happen :) once i get a chance I'll be emptying and cleaning and then marine substrate and then the salt water mix and well no stopping me then :good:

Well, as a fan of your tank and one of the reasons I finally went Marine, I'll be very happy to see you with a SW system again.

She's home now and much better. So glad I made the call to take her to her normal clinic. This isn't her first shoulder fracture. Last time, she was bused to an ER and was sooo uncomfortable and the recovery was terrible. Now, she's much better already.

L

Ime currently without marine ( sold mine too ) but can see me setting up another one too at some point it's hard not to have marine :crazy:

But watching with interest :good:

cheers mate
well the plan is over the weekend is to redistribute the fish from that tank which is only 6 tiger barbs and a pair of kribs into the other tanks then take everything out sand water plants etc and get the substrate for the marine

in my last set up I struggled with ph and calcium contetent bothh being too low and i wondered whether the substrate played any part in this , what is the best substrate for a marine?

Coral sand :) it comes in quite a lot of grades though... from almost dust right through to gravel sized.

Aragonite sand is another name for it. Depending on the tank, I'll have reef grade, oolite (for the planted marine), or live sand. A lot people knock livesand. I got a great batch that must have been very fresh because my picos are doing very well for now.

I think the thing that I learned from watching other systems & now having them myself is to make sure you have almost all your stuff before you setup, but especially the LR. I wish you guys could procure Haitian rock. I've been very impressed with it's quality. It has a lot of surface area.

Ooooooooo, I'm excited! Can't wait to see you setup.

Stocking plans?

L

its going to be very different than my last set up in the sense i paid a fortune for everything in the last one wheras im going to set it up with initial money spent on live rock water and salt and the sand and go from there slowly as Im so much skinter than i was at the start of 2011

one thing i did learn last time is that bargains are to be had so looking at xeniam mushrooms, zoas kenya tree a toadstool and fish wise deinately a lawnmower blenny, a coral beauty and another that i havent decided with a couple of cleaner shrimps. However unlike last time the stocking will be very slow

Yeah, I tend to stock fast, but I also do huge water changes compared with the average Marine hobbyist. Got used to large water changes with the planted tanks, so it doesn't phase me & it seems to be working well.

I love softies. No shame in just having those. They are cheaper too & so forgiving with regard to water quality. Not that I have bad water quality, I don't, but it's nice knowing I can take a day off. My nps tank is different, I have to be on top of that one.

Yeah, I spent a lot more money on the equipment, substrate, & LR. My most expensive coral right now is my big old Pumpkin Yuma. She cost $50. The orange sun is next at $40. If I get the red sun, she'll be the most expensive at $90. Otherwise, the average price is below $10. My biggest waste of money? Two Yasha gobies at $45 each. They jumped. My yellow watchman was $12 & what a great fish! No more expensive ANYTHING!! :lol: Miami is a great place for this hobby though.

L

Be carefully with the coral beauty in that size tank :) they do get to be pretty big fish but i swear they are all really clumsy! Keep knocking into corals...

Chalk Bass and Tobacco Bass are well worth looking at! Great little fish!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back