My River Reef 94 Marine Adventure!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Well after many questions and lots of advice from Seffie and others (thanks) my marine set up is under way
After 19 yrs asa fishkeeper stretching from coldwater, tropical and brackish I have finally taken the plunge and I am backto being a novice again and I didn;t have a clue where to start!!

The tank is only small its my sons 24x14x12 and it has been home to a breedingpair of snakeheads for a couple of years. He and my daughter want Nemos!!!

It will be live rock only with 2 clown fish and hopefully this will be the start of more marines as my eyes have been openedto how wonderful this hobby is, I;ve developed an interest in corals etcand really want more tanks now so I can try a reef tank

First job was to clean the years of algae that were all over the tank as the tank was previously a breeding tank for snake heads which like mess and no water changes it was messy!!!
I then used Ronseal royal blue tile paint to do the back and one side, It made a huge difference!!! Paint £16.99

002-19.jpg

I then added 8 kgs of tropical marine sand , there may be too much in there I shall keep an eye on it and maybe syphon some out when set up completed to my satisfaction 8kgs of sand £11.98
005-14.jpg

I then got ready mixed RO water from my LFS £5.50 for 5 gallon, I;ve added two so far and almost one more will be added today £11

Next item was a marine white T8 bulb,£15.99 the difference on the blue from the old style bulb was amazing

My search for live rock then started I was let down by a seller initially but then got some last night from a nice guy in Warrington £50 for just over 10 kgs, I only needed 7kg but surely I;m ok with this much??? I have no idea what I am buying but the guy said this was decent stuff?/ Caveat Emptor lol
001-17.jpg

002-18.jpg

003-16.jpg

004-14.jpg

Theres a couple of patches of purple one slight patch of algae on there as well. does it look ok to you?

Put it in the tank and the water was very cloudy, my koralia 1 hasn;t arrived yet so just using the old internal filter for water flow at moment
005-13.jpg

The rock watching started, ages spent looking at a inactive item!! the suspense was electrifying lol saw some tube wormsand thatwas the most exciting feeling so far!! I have life in my tank then a couple of white bugs that ferret at great speed over the rock with white feelrs at the front, about half an inch? no idea what they are!!! I shall keep watching lol
Next morning the cloudy water ad cleared to a great extent, need to clean the ghlass really but I will wait till the water is topped up today
001-16.jpg

The rocks are not set up how I want them to end, I;ll let things settle and have a good think how to change it once the power head in

My one problem at the moment is temperature, something has happened to the heater, its on minimum and showing 30 c, its only a 100watt heater????? I;m sure it was never that warm before with snakeheads in

I want too add a form of CUC can I have hermits and snails and if so how many and when?

I love the toadstool corals when could I add one if at all and lastly 2 young clownfish will be added!!! can;t wait!!!

Hey good to see you got your journal started. Ive been reading for your posts and waiting for this. Im currently trying to get stuff together to start up my first reef tank. Ill be watching your progress and good luck.

James

ps told you tile paint is ace, looks good m8. thats what ive used!

Hey good to see you got your journal started. Ive been reading for your posts and waiting for this. Im currently trying to get stuff together to start up my first reef tank. Ill be watching your progress and good luck.

James

ps told you tile paint is ace, looks good m8. thats what ive used!

ha ha cheers pal, I;m really impressed with the paint I thought you;d see brush marks but it dries flawless after two coats!!

Yea thats what I thought when I first put mine on but the other side (viewing side) comes up peeeerfect! :hyper:

You sorted out your heater yet? or have you got a spare one?
And I know what you mean about clownfish. They are gonna be the first introduction to my tank after the CUC of course. The misses loves them! :good:

Keep it up m8 and dont forget pics!

James

well my Koralia 1 power head has arrived , just put it in and it seems to create decent flow so I;m happy with that so far
Just off to test the water for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and then into the loft to dig out old heaters to tr yand get this temp down. This one must have a faulty thermostat as its on lowest setting and yet still reading 30!!

just checked my test kits and they are freshwater kits bar the nitrite? poo will have to buy a saltwater one tommorrow

nitrite was 0
I used my freshwater kit API one and nitrate was 5.0, ph was 8 and ammonia 0.25. Not sure how relevant they are bearing in mind freshwater kit

Not sure am guessing you need proper marine ones most use the Salifert tests

and then into the loft to dig out old heaters to tr yand get this temp down. This one must have a faulty thermostat as its on lowest setting and yet still reading 30!!

hi simonas have you checked if your heater is suetable for salt water as most say on the box suitable for fw and some say suitable for fw+sw

i dunno but id check it out

and then into the loft to dig out old heaters to tr yand get this temp down. This one must have a faulty thermostat as its on lowest setting and yet still reading 30!!

hi simonas have you checked if your heater is suetable for salt water as most say on the box suitable for fw and some say suitable for fw+sw

i dunno but id check it out

I didn;t realise there was a difference, I haven;t got the box I;ve got all kinds of heaters etc in loft, this was just the one that worked fine in tank prior to change, I need to go in loft tonight and get others out. cheers for the heads up though

Its certainly expemsive this salt water malarky! lol

Bought test kits for ammonia nitrate and nitrite today saltwater kits at that as well. I shall test the water tonight see how I;m getting on, they were £29

I bought a refractometer which looks like a vibrator!! Cost £40!!

a night of testing for me later

Hehe aye test kits are fun at least you have the nice easy ones wait till you start doing mag, Cal and KH ;) phosphates are easy though

ha ha
Its a TMC one
I need to test wit deionised water? Funny enough I don;t have any handy!!!does boiled water do the same job?
Ehhh, testing what though Simon :blush: :rofl:

Seffie x
[/quote]

well just used my test kits, they are Sera kits bougt today

Nitrate 25
nitrite 0
ammonia 0.5

the temp has stabilised at 27 is that too high and how bout my readings what does that indicate?

not yet figured out the refractomter lol

I keep my tank at around 27/28

Your tests indicate some die off, so the start of your cycle woo hoo...........

Seffie x

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back