My New Malawi Landscaping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tigermad

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have finished landscaping my 4ft tank with ocean/tuffa rock. I am hoping to use it for Mbuna Cichlids. Can I please have your honest opinions of the landscaping?

tank.jpg

Hi Guys

I have finished landscaping my 4ft tank with ocean/tuffa rock. I am hoping to use it for Mbuna Cichlids. Can I please have your honest opinions of the landscaping?

2159107440034445636PoDARn_ph.jpg

You're picture isn't coming up.

I would say that it looks nice! your sand does look a bit on the deep side and may cause you problems in the future. could I be cheaky and ask you how much you paid for all your ocean rock? cheers.

thanks dave. only enquiring as just put some monster pieces up for sale at £60 for 5. there not for the average sized tank and there far too nice to break. thanks again.

I cant speak for Tigermad but mine has a similar amount of rock and it cost me £45.

Blimey Dave, mine cost me £150 in total, there is about 75kg in there.

Regarding the sand. Can I just remove some of the sand from the front of the tank? I don't fancy taking all the rocks out again.

I have the same depth of sand, even deeper in parts and the only thing you need to do is while doing water changes make sure you vacc the sand to the bottom, lethal gas pockets can get going if maintenance is not done right and on a weekly schedule. Any documentation of it i've seen though reflects disgusting water conditions where people have neglected water changes for months...

IMHO leave the sand alone just utilize your Python well and stir stir stir the sand with each w/c.

PS

the tank looks GREAT!!!!!!

Thanks Mama

I will change the water every week. There may be a period of 2 weeks when I go away in July. I use to keep a marine tank so I fully understand the need for regular maintenance.

Do you think the gas pockets could form behind the rockwork? Obviously I cannot clean the sand behind there.

hi tigermad. it develops were there is not much circulation in the substrate and I dont wish to be a scaremonger but it can cause devistation to your fish, I personaly would only put an inch layer of sand in. I am as we speak taking out my gravel and replacing it with sand, no more than an inch thick. it would be better to do it now than wait till you have fish in there. have a read of this post from another forum, it should help you.

http://www.malawikeepers.com/phpBB2/viewto...ighlight=#10520

hi tigermad. it develops were there is not much circulation in the substrate and I dont wish to be a scaremonger but it can cause devistation to your fish, I personaly would only put an inch layer of sand in. I am as we speak taking out my gravel and replacing it with sand, no more than an inch thick. it would be better to do it now than wait till you have fish in there. have a read of this post from another forum, it should help you.

I have taken quite a bit out at the front of the tank.

My lfs said 2 inches would be ok?

I have taken quite a bit out at the front of the tank.

My lfs said 2 inches would be ok?

Nooooooooooooo, I want Mr Gobys tank. Those pebbles look awesome!

Blimey Dave, mine cost me £150 in total, there is about 75kg in there.

You have been robbed mate.It isnt cheap i know but £150 is way too much to pay.
I have about 55kg and cost £45 so maybe if i got 75kg the price would be about £65.Certainly lower than the price you paid.

Tanks looks great though.

The only thing I would change is to remove the red and pinkish rocks. I think they "clash" with your white setup and might steal attention from the fish. But it's a matter of taste i suppose.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back