🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF! :)

I just went to my LFS today, for the Labor Day sale, and fell in love with this Albino Bristle Nose Pleco. Now before you jump on me about how this thing is to small for a 10 gallon tank, I specifically asked if it was a small variety (2-3 in max.) and he said it was. He breeds his fish himself, so I trust him, take a look! ;)
image.jpg

He is only 1/2-1 1/2 in. Now, so he still has some growing to do. If you think of a name for him, please tell me! (How do you tell gender BTW?) :)

@Deanasue, I know you have plecos, is it common not to see them for a while? I just put him in, left for 15 min. And when I got back he’s “gone”. :)

Plecos generally hide during the day unless you drop in an algae wafer. Then they will usually take the algae wafer back into their cave or other hiding spot. A 10 gallon is too small for a bn pleco as bn pleco grow to about 5 inches.

Last edited:
A 10 gallon is kind of small for a pleco.
But this is the small variety. It’s max size is only 1 to maybe 2 in. :)

Do you think I should add a cave? I have a lot of plants/driftwood (as you can see in my TOTM entry.).

I don’t know if there is a small variety of bn pleco. I believe from what I’ve read that they grow to 4 to 5 inches long. If so, it would be better in 29 gallon tank.

It needs driftwood to gnaw on and a place to hide- such as behind or under large driftwood or lots of plants or a cave which you can make out of a piece of slate or large flat rock siliconed to smaller rocks as support. Or you could use a piece of pvc pipe or a small clay flower pot on its side.

Last edited:
Agree on all counts. Mine are both over 4”. Get some driftwood quick. He needs it for digestion. He will eventually need a larger tank as they have a large bioload. Mine only come out at night. Feed him before you go to bed . Very cute!

Agree on all counts. Mine are both over 4”. Get some driftwood quick. He needs it for digestion. He will eventually need a larger tank as they have a large bioload. Mine only come out at night. Feed him before you go to bed . Very cute!
Thanks! I have 3 pieces of driftwood, so he should be good. I had an adult there, and it was only 3 in. Long. I know the one there is an adult because he has been there over 1 year. :)

If there is algae on the glass you might see him sucking on it as they love algae.

A cute little guy. I love pleco's and Oto's- some of my favorite fish.
Here is a picture of my Blue Phantom Pleco:

One of the only times ( a very brief period) that I used anything other than sand for substrate. I hated it. It was soon gone.

J6t7SBX.jpg

I know the males eventually have bristles on their nose and sides of their mouths.The females do not. You have to wait until they are roughly 6 months old to see bristles. Mine are both males.

Last edited:
Congrats on your BN pleco. I love mine. I’ve never seen any under 4-5” matured so if there is a dwarf or Pygmy variety that’s something new to me. Very cool.

Thanks guys! :thanks:

Yes, I do have algae on my glass.

This is good night from the ole” PheonixKingZ! :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back