My new ABNP!!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks! So just as an update, I tried to feed him an algae wafer last night, but I stayed under the filter the hole time. There is no intake under the filter, it's on the side, so that might be his new hiding place! :)

So should i try to feed him Zucchini? Or cucumbers? I still have some blanched cucumbers left for my Zebra Nerite snail. I don’t need to feed him cucumbers any more, because I have plenty of algae. :)

So should i try to feed him Zucchini? Or cucumbers? I still have some blanched cucumbers left for my Zebra Nerite snail. I don’t need to feed him cucumbers any more, because I have plenty of algae. :)
Either are fine. Zucchini has a little more nutrients but use up what you have first.

Ok, thanks guys!

(Also, anyone have a good name for him/her?) :)

I like to figure out personalities/sex before I name my fish, but you could go with something neutral or that ties in with the names of your other inhabitants?

They do keep growing if conditions are good. Mine is around 7" and over 15 years old. He was one of a group of 4 fry I bought. I sold 3 of them when I downsized my tank about 5 years ago.

ADORABLE. I just bought two of these myself about a month ago - I got the blue eyed yellow colored ones but they look exactly like yours. The smaller of the two I am concerned about - haven't seen her in days - the bigger one (I THINK) I see some bristles on his head so he's a male - is out and about all the time. The other fish are super curious about him and he only freaks out when too many of my large Gourami's start getting in his face - but never have I seen him attacked so I am going to assume the other one is fine. I know I do not have a spot of algae anywhere on the tank, on the "toys" or caves (they like caves or dense follage) they clean leaves without eating them. I didn't know about the driftwood - I only have one small piece in there - they show no interest. I just never see them eat or even show interest in the pleco algae pellets or just algae pellets. Per, I believe, Colin's suggestion I am growing algae in a bowl on some really large pebbles so I can put a few in there for when they run out and then remove the clean ones

I was told they grow to 4 inches but mine are plumping out as much as getting longer.

I also fell in love with a Gold (it's actually yellow) Dojo Loach. I bought two of those and they look like they have pink blush on the sides of their yellow faces. I was told they live 10-70 years. Then to spend even more money for that free shipping I bought a Blue Phantom Pleco - looks like a kind of super cool catfish. Blue with yellow polka dots. Only about 1/2" long WHEN you can locate him - he melts into the substrate and black background and lives in a cave - he will grow eventually to over 7 inches Only seen him 3 times since I purchased him - I never see him come out. I bet I see him once he's 7 inches. I LOVE weird fish. Wish I had the space for an Oscar.

I need a 3rd tank - once some of these grow to full size it's frightening how crowded it starts looking and I swore I'd never over crowd an aquarium - and I'm doing it already. So many fish, so little space. Thanks to my darling deceased husband - I also have plenty of money to invest in my hobby. (within reason and I still wish I had my husband back instead of the money)

I had a Blue Phantom Pleco a few years ago. Funny story how I got him: I had ordered maybe 12 tetras and other fish for my 35 gallon tall hex tank via an online Fish store. Overnight shipping was about $30. Well the following morning, the package came. I looked at the rather small box and said to myself ... how could they pack all the fish I ordered in this small box. I then opened the box and lo and behold I see this Blue Phantom Pleco in the bag. He looked really cool but I wanted to know where my fish I had ordered was. I called the company I had ordered from and told them about my issue. They figured out that I was sent the wrong order. They told me I could keep the Blue Phantoom Pleco and they would resend the fish I had ordered. They had sent my 12 fish to another customer...that customer was also told he could keep the fish sent in error.

I kept the Pleco for several month but was told by members here it would outgrow my tank. I decided to give my Pleco ( I named him Lucky) to a member of our forums for no charge if they had a suitable tank. A member responded who had a nice large tank . I shipped it to her at my cost for shipping. She received it in 2 days. She was a happy camper.

I had named the Pleco "Lucky" because when I was drip acclimating it in a bowl , I dropped the bowl. The bowl shattered but the Pleco survived. He was "Lucky" to be alive...thus the name I gave him.

They do keep growing if conditions are good. Mine is around 7" and over 15 years old. He was one of a group of 4 fry I bought. I sold 3 of them when I downsized my tank about 5 years ago.
What? Life expectancy is 5 years. Amazing!

Dang, you’re right. I read just last night 5 years. So much for that article.

I read 10 years or longer for Plecos. In the wild plecos can live for 20 years.

Last edited:
Like when you own a parrot which has a lifespan of 40 to 80 years, maybe we need to list the beneficiary of our Plecos and also provide for their upkeep in our wills to make sure they get cared for properly after we leave this earth. ;)

Last edited:
Ha ha! Almost. I feel like pleco’s are kind of smart fish, for fish. Mines definitely used to my routine. He will come stare at me when it’s wafer time and he always looks in the spot I normally drop them first. Sometimes I throw him off and drop it somewhere new. It’s entertaining watching him dart from cover to cover looking for it. My other fish come to the top looking for food if I’m by the tank, but it’s different. Took him a long time to be as comfortable as he is now. Most pleco’s hide all day and for the most part he does. But when it starts getting darker out that’s wafer/veggie time and he will come out even if the tank light is still dimming.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back