My Gourami Keeps Attacking The Thermometer!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What size tank are they in?  I mean, it could work if it's at least a 30 gallon or so.  Just keep an eye on them to be safe and good luck!  I love all my Gouramis, they're my favorite type of fish bar none.  There's so many kinds available in natural form as well as selected color variants that it's hard to get bored with them.  They're tough little SOB's too, and they'll usually try to rule whatever tank they're kept in.  My male Dwarf G named "Topper" currently rules my son's 55 gallon which also has a medium sized Moonlight Gourami, a large Lyretail Molly, a Bolivian Ram, 2 Medium Sized Koi Angels and various semi-aggressive Tetras.  He takes no "carp" from any of them and claims whatever space he wants...........I once kept him with a female Paradise Fish, which are known for being nasty, and he spanked that fish so much I need to move her to my 36 gallon!

rofl.gif
  Topper sounds like a right old fella.

I've been looking at moonlight gourami, the DG doesnt actively fight with him or the angels?

No, he doesn't really chase them at all. He just goeswhere he wants and they all move aside!

A worm could be what he thinks it is. It's bright red it has to be attractive to him.

He is probably saying....what an ugly thermometer/decoration
tongue2.gif
 . Can we get rid of it? 
tongue2.gif
lol

My other male dwarf gourami (the one NOT hitting the thermometer ) doesn't seem to swim around much :/ he will just rest in the same spot all day and occasionally come out then go back in. He also spazzed out earlier! started darting and jittering everywhere, then stopped. He does come out sometimes at feeding time and eats a bit but not much. He has been like this since I got him and I thought he was just shy but I've had him 2 weeks now and he still does this :( I also think he looks a bit thinner than the other DG because he's not eating enough. I shall do a large water change tomorrow to see if fresh water will cheer him up but I'm afraid I shall be watching him waste/fade away :'( he doesn't put his dorsal fin up at feeding time like he did when I first got him/like the other one does. Dwarf gouramis are lovely fish and also expensive, this is bothering me a lot it's not fair, is it my fault!?
Also, last time I tested the pH was 8 :/ I know it's high but my tap water is just so hard! Should I refill the tank with bottled/mineral water instead?

Sounds like it could be an internal bacterial infection or some sort of parasite.

Should I refill the tank with bottled/mineral water instead?          

Don't use mineral water in the tank.

DreamertK said:
Sounds like it could be an internal bacterial infection or some sort of parasite.
I have melafix, should I use it to treat the tank? ( also, I can't quarantine the gourami as I don't have a spare heater yet ) I also have King British Disease Clear. It says use when fish appear lethargic and have clamped fins, and for bacterial infections, contains Silver Proteinate 0.151% w/w. I'm worried the king British one would kill my tank's good bacteria. Which one should i use!?

Well some people say that Melafix stuff isn't good for labyrinth organ fish, as well it's not actually something that cures anything. I'm not sure about that disease clear, but if it treats infections you should soak some food/worms in it and feed it to the gourami. A little salt (non kitchen salt) helps unless you have scaleless fish or inverts.

Okay I have frozen daphnia so when I defrost them in a bit of tank water, in a cup I could add some disease clear. I need to buy some aquarium salt. I really don't want my gourami to die :(

I feed my fish individually with a 1mL plastic pipette, if you have one you should feed the gourami as directly as possible so the medicine goes right in him and doesnt wander off into the aquarium water.

Try other fungus med. Can you see any white slime on the fins etc....close fins means he isn't feeling well and need to be treated asap. My Bluey(bl00-eeee) did it the other day. down and doing nothing...not eating. I used fungus med and he is moving about and temp. is on warm too. 

BTY....fungus med should take care of parasites....unless its internal parasite. try it. 

becketlady said:
BTY....fungus med should take care of parasites....unless its internal parasite. try it. 

This is true.  I've used Kordon Rid Fungus when I wasn't sure what ailment the fish had and it's worked more times than not.

It's a bit of a stretch to say the fish has any particular disease that's been mentioned based on the description you gave, you would need to elaborate more to even have a chance at serious diagnosis.  Unfortunately it could be Dwarf Gourami Disease, which I believe killed my 2 first Dwarf G's, or it could be something totally different.  Who knows, he might just be stressed out from getting his butt kicked and dominated by the other Dwarf G.  A stressed out fish will have a lower immune system, less slime coat and be much more susceptible to Ich, as well as many other parasites, diseases, etc. 

Okay I am determined to cure him. Should I try salt or medication first? I feel so bad for him and he's such a pretty fish :( he only puts his fins up when the other gourami comes near him so I guess he's trying to look bigger so he won't get picked on/ to stand up for himself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back