My Africans Are Going Skinny

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

australia

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi all. im just wondering if anyone knows what is the cause and how can i fix this problem......i have 2 tanks with mainganos, cobalt blues, & electric yellows in one apart from the odd couple most of them are going realy skinny...i feed them 3 times a day on sera flora.....what could be wrong? i am treating the tanks and the fish with clout atm im hoping this helps....

what medication will killl this problem?

hi all. im just wondering if anyone knows what is the cause and how can i fix this problem......i have 2 tanks with mainganos, cobalt blues, & electric yellows in one apart from the odd couple most of them are going realy skinny...i feed them 3 times a day on sera flora.....what could be wrong? i am treating the tanks and the fish with clout atm im hoping this helps....

i dont think its actually to do with the medication all you need to do is get cichlid stick food or just more food in the menu .

i dont think its actually to do with the medication all you need to do is get cichlid stick food or just more food in the menu .

no mate i forgot to say i have been feeding them pellets as well!

what do u guys think it would be?

Hey fellow Victorian! :)
What are your tank stats? ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, how long its been running, decor etc
Do you have pics of them? How skinny is skinny? My mangiano's are skinny but not sickly skinny. Sounds like parasites. I have the same mix in my cichlid tank and havent had this problem. We got ours from a great aquairum (www.fantasticfins.com.au) out in Lilydale,Victoria. If you ever go through that way the guys in that shop are amazing with handing out advice and the right stuff. Theres a great food we got and repeatedly get from there called Spectrum Grow by New Life. It has all sorts of goodies and vitamins in it and they love it. I only have to feed them once a day on it aswell. Perhaps even give the guys a call and see what they say about your fish health (ask for Luke or Josh if you do). My fiancee and i go in there nearlly every weekend and they will take the time out to talk to you if needed.

Like said above, we need your water stats.

Also, you should also be feeding them some kind of frozen food, like frozen brine shrimp or blood worms like twice a week.

Are the skinny ones still eating as much as they usually do? If they are still eating as much, then it might be internal parasites, but we need to know your water stats?

Also, are the cichlids staying near the bottom or near the top all the time?

You can try to PM wilder, she will help you out greatly with this situation!

Check out this for help with meds.

-FHM

Need more info like members have asked for on water stats.
Being skinny can be not feeding enough, fish tb, old age, internal parasites.
What does it look like when the fish goes to the toilet.
Check the fish anus to see if its enlarged or red and inflamed.

sorry i have been away.....my fish are still skinny! and my wife has been feeding them alot!

My tank stats are ph 7.8 , ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 40ppm, nitrate 10ppm

what is the best medication in australia to treat this?

i am treating them with some clout atm to see if this helps....do use think it will?

i have lost 10 fish out of my colony so far... all the electric yellow and mainganos have stayed alive.....they are all still eating but not gaining and weight....they are still very skinny!!!

what should i do?

this problem started in my 6x2x2! then i moved fish to a 3x2x18 and iinfected that tank aswell and now i have put some fish in a 2 foot tank and i guess that tank and fish are now infected!

im hoping this clout will help???

if clout will cure this how many days do i need to treat for? also if this medication is no good...what medication here in australia do use recomend me to use?

also i am treating all 3 tanks with clout.

also my main tank has been running for 1 year the rest only a few months.

i have a albino catfish in the 3x2x18 and its pooing white stringy stuff!
& have a pair of african cichlids in there and they are realy skinny......

It depends on which internal parasite you are treating for.
I would pm colin t as not sure what meds are available in your country.

Clout
Manufacturer: Aquarium Products
A very strong and effective medication for parasitic and protozoan infestations. Treats: Ich, Hydra, leeches, Planaria, Epistylis, Trichodina, Hexamita,Tetrahy-mena, body fungus, digenetic flukes, parasitic copepods, monogenetic flukes and anchor worms.

My tank stats are ph 7.8 , ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 40ppm, nitrate 10ppm
That's very bad..., undoubtedly has contributed to the fish getting parasites and is going to make getting rid of them harder?

What size of tank is it and what filter do you have, as well as what media?

Also, when you maintain the tanks (water changes, filter cleaning), how do you do so?

Any improvement since using clout.

just a update...............

i have moved all the fish from my 6x2x2 to a 3x2x18 the fish look a little better im just hoping they get better.

now i am worried about putting new fish into my 6x2x2 as it might have the infection in the tank? or is it just in the fish? im not sure what todo as im getting new fish and i dont want to risk loosing them if the tank has a problem!

i have treated all three tanks including the 2 foot hospital tank 3 times each with clout at full strength, i have no more clout left so i cannot continue treatment....do use think i will need to get more clout?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back