Male Endler fish harassing other males with mating dance

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bethv

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Has anyone had any experience with a male only Endler fish tank? I've had 4 male endlers for 2 weeks now and I noticed one of my males kept following another male everywhere and doing the mating ritual constantly. I introduced 2 male guppies 2 days ago and now 3 of my male Endlers are harassing one of the male guppies and will NOT leave him alone for 5 seconds, non stop mating ritual.
I'm really scared this is going to stress my new guppy out as he doesn't get a minutes peace. I didn't buy any females as I don't want them breeding.

Any ideas on what to do or is it just something I have to put up with. I bought these fish online so I can't return them to the store as it's a 2 hour drive.
Thanks in advance.

If you have no females in the tank with the males, the male guppies will begin trying to mate with their friends thinking its a female.

Maybe the guppy is just a pretty boy and the Endler's like him in a peculiar way, if you know what I mean :)

Turns out I must've been given a female instead of a male... there seems to be some eggs laid in one of the plants and one of the newer fish is protecting it... oh dear

Livebearers don't lay eggs.

If you post pictures of the fish and eggs we can tell you what sex the fish are.

I agree with @essjay, there is another thread going on with this same question...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back