Mac

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wasn't meaning 50 tick boxes literally... :rolleyes:

I noticed the attempt at "sarcasm", though I don't think I've ever seen anything more than 2 clicks and like I said they are usually EULA. In fact isn't it a little reassuring you're having the option to install rather than the program just letting loose on itself?

Edit:

I didn't mean to sound like a dick by the way, was just in a rush to respond.

Linux all the way for me, thought I'd just to throw that in there
laugh.gif

But then I like to fiddle and have full control of what my OS has and does, I am running Arch Linux on PC hardware that has remained unchanged since 2006, and the thing still flies.

I still use windows at work though, I have to because I develop software for windows unfortunately, and I admit to running windows 7 in a virtual machine on my linux OS, so I can develop on that too.

The way I see it, the argument for Apple is that they are in control of the hardware and software combined, so can provide an overall system which just works, but you pay a price for it which I am not willing to cough up.

At the end of the day, this topic was started by someone who wanted to buy a Mac, and did, and is happy with it.

There are always going to be people pro Windows or pro Apple. I for one have used both for a number of years, and prefer Mac. The downside is work's computers are often Windows because they are so much cheaper. I worked with a company who developed software and we all used Windows, as all the programs they used were Windows exclusive. I'm afraid all it did was reinforce my preference for Mac :lol:

The way I see it, the argument for Apple is that they are in control of the hardware and software combined, so can provide an overall system which just works, but you pay a price for it which I am not willing to cough up.

I think that is the best summary of what Apple Macs are compared to PCs I've seen yet. I have to admit I have a grudge against Apple purely because of this iPod/iPhone fad, I don't understand how they create so many fan boys and yet they still don't have the best products out on the market they just have the most popular! I can't buy and iPod/iPhone or anything like that from Apple because I know nearly all the cost in the product is the advertisement cost for them. Whereas a smaller or another electronic giant which doesn't dominate the market like Apple do tend not to flirt with the public and thus end up selling it at a lower price, sometimes with more functionality.

For example I just had a quote from the manufacturer of my graphics tablet for a replacement pen and yeh it's only £10! However I Know for a fact that when I look at my pen there is less plastic than a christmas cracker but they're just breaking my balls.

As far as i am concerned about the whole iPod / Zune / cheapo MP3 player deal is that I am millions of others have had the best success with iPod's. If I ever had a problem with iPod's I wouldn't buy them again. I have gone through cheapo MP3 players though. A couple years ago my mom bought my bro and I mp3 players. We went through 4 of them. They would turn on, play a couple songs, and break. They were like 40 or 50 dollar mp3 players. Pay another 100 dollars, get 6G of more space, a good warranty, and a product that works. I don't even think it's a choice, really. I know some people who own Zunes and they like them. But they have had some problems, which are expected of any electronic device. I know people who have like 80 dollar mp3 players who like them, but aren't impressed with their music buying software, or their appearence of their mp3 player, or the quality of it. I have owned an 8G iPod Touch (2 Generation), for almost 2 years. I just took it back and got a replacement. It was getting to be painstakeingly slow at browsing the internet and I figured that the hard drive was dying, or the processor was. So I took it to bestbuy and used my warranty. My new one should be here on wednesday. My friend has the original 1st Generation iPod Touch. It still works. Albeit it was a digital crack on it (a.k.a. dead pixels), is kinda slow, has been dropped MANY times, from various hieghts on various types of flooring (mostly concrete). But in the end, it still works. Apple doesn't even make software updates for it anymore, and he called it the "iPaperwieght". He still likes it though. He can still play music, and browse the web, and play games. Which is what he bought it for over 3 years ago.

I think you stumbled across one of the best parts about buying into apple there. I have an iPod, an iPhone, an iMac and some windows stuff. What's great is how it's a full solution. I plug my phone into the mac, it charges it, it updates the calendar on the mac with any changes I made on the phone, and it updates it on the phone with any changes I made on the mac, same with address book. It syncs music. It syncs different music to the iPod since my wife uses that. The other computers have iTunes installed and can access all the music from my mac using home sharing (ok not a mac only feature but iTunes is an apple thing) buying music online is made easy either via computer or iPhone. The second you step outside the apple world with something important things get more complicated. My wife has an htc desire. It's a pain to get music onto. You can't link the calendar or the address book easily (though you could transfer events one at a time and copy vcards over to a program that supports them). There are several upsides to this. All my music being in one place means backing it all up is easy. All my contacts are duplicated across a few devices so if my phone dies then when I sync my new one suddenly I have them all back.

The best thing about buying into apple is how well every different bit talks to each other.

im wondering hy this thread isnt dead yet....

Just a tidbit of information, it turns out a girl from my work has the 2001 MacBook Pro. It just died on her. She has dropped it many times (evident by the dents on it), she is not tech savvy at all, and has done plenty of illegal downloading with frostwire ect... and she has never had it repaired. It from as far as I can tell, has a dead hard drive. It wont turn on, and she replaced the battery, but that is to no avail either.

There is actually a fairly common problem with the psu section on the main board on a few bits. It used to require a full new board until apple decided people might not want to pay £700+ to get their computer repaired. It's probably that and will now cost in the region of £150 over here. But still, someone like that and it lasted almost 10 years?

There is actually a fairly common problem with the psu section on the main board on a few bits. It used to require a full new board until apple decided people might not want to pay £700+ to get their computer repaired. It's probably that and will now cost in the region of £150 over here. But still, someone like that and it lasted almost 10 years?

Yep. It is like, the original Macbook Pro. It's aluminum. The corner of it is completely smashed in. But it worked fine after being dropped. I wouldn't have been surprised if it stopped working. It is a HUGE dent.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back