Long Fins For A Female?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sami the cichlid

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i was wondering, does she have long fins for a female or is it just normal?
IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

smile.gif

Most likely a juvi male you've got there going by the pics, those ventrals are rather long, nice double tail though :good: do you know the age of the fish? looks like a youngster to me so should have plenty more growing out to do, see how it reacts to a mirror and give it a poly cup or an almond leaf in a quiet part of the tank, a male will build a bubble nest soon enough! :nod:

Most likely a juvi male you've got there going by the pics, those ventrals are rather long, nice double tail though
good.gif
do you know the age of the fish? looks like a youngster to me so should have plenty more growing out to do, see how it reacts to a mirror and give it a poly cup or an almond leaf in a quiet part of the tank, a male will build a bubble nest soon enough!
yes.gif

i thought she might have been a he! i bought 3 "girls" and thought he looked slightly.....male?
laugh.gif
yeah they are young, they are quite small so im hopeing if she is a he that he will grow out big a beautiful
biggrin.gif
the other two deffinately look like girls

females can have long fins, this is m HM female

11t9bex.jpg

Can you see an ovvie spot on her, be inbetween the ventrals. What size is she in cm's/inches?

Her anal fin is straight, to me looks like a female, although, I would like to see a more clear side on photo.

females can have long fins, this is m HM female

11t9bex.jpg

Can you see an ovvie spot on her, be inbetween the ventrals. What size is she in cm's/inches?

Her anal fin is straight, to me looks like a female, although, I would like to see a more clear side on photo.

she is about 1.25" in size, rather small and cute! i cant really see the ovvie spot, at least its much easier to spot on the other two. here are some more pictures, sorry she is really fast and wont stay still!
IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

sorry, iphone camera quality isnt the best.

hmmm higher chance of being a male.

Can you make her flare, good indicator on what her/his beard is like, will tell you male or female

hmmm higher chance of being a male.

Can you make her flare, good indicator on what her/his beard is like, will tell you male or female

i saw her flaring at one of the others! i just saw the beard, i remeber it being red and fairly big. i cant get a picture tho! she wont flare for the cameras. hmm, i'll keep people updated on his/her progress. :)

is it a big beard? Or just a small one?

i only just saw it, behind some plants, but i would say it was big, and red. if i get a better flare i'll give more detail :) i think she is more likely a he now, but who knows!

Females lack the middle bit of the beard - it will look heart-shaped when they flare :)

looks like a young male to me, the ventrals are long IMO, but then I have had a long-ventralled girly before, really confused me! :fun: colour is also nice and bright - a bagged female tends to show stress lines.

Females lack the middle bit of the beard - it will look heart-shaped when they flare :)

looks like a young male to me, the ventrals are long IMO, but then I have had a long-ventralled girly before, really confused me! :fun: colour is also nice and bright - a bagged female tends to show stress lines.

I have a female with long vetricals (about twice as long as the other girls) but she's definately a girl :).

hi!
managed to get some alright pics of him/her! i dont know if they'll help but its worth a try.
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

ok, well, first of all, he/she looks much brighter and colourful than the pics show!
also, if it is a male, shoud he be making bubble nests at this age/size?

It looks female to me. Have you compared her fins to the other females because remember DTs have shorter bodies so it might just be that the short body makes the fins look longer.

It looks female to me. Have you compared her fins to the other females because remember DTs have shorter bodies so it might just be that the short body makes the fins look longer.

she is the same body size as the others but has fins almost twice as big, her ventrals and very big and long, double the size of the other females. she's very confusing!! but very beautiful male or female

she is the same body size as the others but has fins almost twice as big, her ventrals and very big and long, double the size of the other females. she's very confusing!! but very beautiful male or female
It just doesnt look like she has enough finnage to be a young male. And if it was a DT X PK cross then it would have such a double tail.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back