Jack Dempsey with Other Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Cichster

Reaction score
I have two fish tanks, a thirty gallon that consists of an Electric yellow cichlid, a Kenyi cichlid, and 2 peacocks, all in the range of about 3.5 inches. I also have a 55 gallon tank only with a jack Dempsey. The cichlids donā€™t seem to be doing to well in the 30 gallon, mostly hiding and such. I was thinking of moving the cichlids over to the 55 with the jack, all except for one peacock, who is kind of like the runt, and is bossed around a lot. Iā€™ll leave him in the 30 for now until he buffs up a bit, but i donā€™t know how well my 4 inch jack will do the the other cichlids. Any ideas?

African cichlid should never be mixed with Americans, especially in small tanks (55gal is considered on the small side for larger cichlids). JD are aggressive and quite territorial so there's a good chance it will go after the Africans. That being said, African cichlid are not nice either and they may be the ones going after the JD.

A 55gal is actually the minimum size I'd keep Africans in as a 30gal will not allow enough room for males to establish territories nor for you to overstock the fish, as it is recommended to do with Africans. I say get another tank, at least 55gals, and put the Africans in there while adding a few more to spread aggression. I've got around 15 Africans in my 55gal and only the new guys get harassed for a bit till things settle down once more.

Yeah I would agree with above - I'd rehome the JD, move the Africans to the 55 and up their numbers then find more suitable fish for the 30g.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back