African Tiger Scat advice?

BullTerrierChild12 2

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 7, 2025
Messages
136
Reaction score
93
Points
28
Location
New York
My lfs is carrying a 2” African tiger scat and I’m wondering if I’d be able to purchase it regarding some circumstances.

I have read that this species of scat can tolerate full freshwater and only get around 6-10 inches in captivity. I wanted to see if one can work in my 75 gallon freshwater aquarium consisting of various catfish, as well as hardy festivums, Severus, and other South American cichlids. If I could have someone support or refute these claims about the fish and let me know if it’s an acceptable idea or not, I would be very thankful. I was already told it would work by an employee.
 
I wonder if anyone told the fish… 30 years ago, scats were all listed as brackish… I’ve also been thinking about them, as I have extremely hard alkaline water
 
They are a euryhaline species, evolved to move between salt and fresh.

What's brown, sounds like a bell and is a Scat's natural diet?

Dung.

Scat means dung and phagus is eating, so they are easy to feed...

My 'gut' reaction would be a no, since your SA Cichlids don't need the kind of hard water a euryhaline scat would need. They can live in fresh, but not fresh that isn't very hard. It's the kind of fish that gets its own tank. Years ago, a friend kept argus, and they were cool fish. He didn't have them long, but that may have been his own doing.
 
if I get that corner 90 gallon tank I mentioned in another thread from Mrs. friend, she thinks it should go into one of 2 corners, in the living room, as far away from my RO water source, as I could get in the house… so it would be most easily serviced with the hose I use to fill well water into my sword tank… so most practically that tank would be a well water ( rock hard, alkaline ) tank… the swords are thriving in that water… I thought I may try some scats… I had 3 different varieties, when I had tanks 30 years ago, and maintained a couple brackish tanks… we’ll see if it works out with Mrs illness, if I have time to collect the tank…

out of stock from this supplier, but the care part of the description seems to indicate thriving in fresh water

 
back then I also had mono’s which I see are also listed as transitional between salt, brackish, and fresh water today… so that may be a possible tank mate….
IMG_9633.webp
 

Most reactions

Back
Top