Is This True?

That how they used to cycle tank in the old days so I heard, human urine, lovely.
I wouldnt do it.
Also you have to be careful if you take meds, or drink alcohol.
 
Do fish pee? I wouldn't have imagined they do but hey I never asked one.

I suggest reading the first post on the thread lol..

The question was, is it true, some people use to pee in thier to tank to start the cycle because pee contains ammonia :)


I did read it - I was asking about this comment.


yet you put your hand in a tank that has had many fish crap and pee in it, seems like faulty logic to me.
 
ok, let my try and explain how to cycle using urine.

once you have urinated in the tank and the filter has cycled.
you do a 100% water change. this way you remove all traces (or as much as makes no difference)
of any other waste product your body creates.
the urine is only in there as a source of ammonia for the nitrifying bacteria to break down.

personally, it is not something I'd do but it can be done and is safe provided the urinator is healthy.
 
It's mainly a matter of the ammonia we are adding, usually up to 4ppm, is more than the fish will produce on their own. I full stock of community fish for instance, won't produce 4 ppm of ammonia per day, probably not even 1 ppm. It may not hold for messy fish such as oscars or plecos but does for community. Actually, you could test it by simply taking an uncycled tank, stocking it and then testing daily to see how quickly the levels rise. Of course with our test equipment, it would be difficult to do since ours only measure so high. After a few days, the levels would be too high to differentiate.
Ahh thank, that makes perfect sense, forgive me, i was not challenging you comments. just trying to get my head around the subject.

i value the lives of animals more than the lives of most humans. i don't want to hurt my fish but
with proper care, a fish in cycle can be no more dangerous than living in the wild as far as chemical levels go. it just takes work. regardless of the circumstances, fish all live in a small amount of ammonia and nitrite.
you make a good point here.

As for the urine, yes, it will work but I would personally never do it. After all, I'm not tall enough.... :lol:
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: . think how i feel! my tanks are cycled on top of a fridge freezer, just on six feet tall :blink:

ok, let my try and explain how to cycle using urine.

once you have urinated in the tank and the filter has cycled.
you do a 100% water change. this way you remove all traces (or as much as makes no difference)
of any other waste product your body creates.
the urine is only in there as a source of ammonia for the nitrifying bacteria to break down.

personally, it is not something I'd do but it can be done and is safe provided the urinator is healthy.
though this is the first time i have seen it written down, that is just how i do it. not bad when all i was told was, pi$$ in the tank and throw some good soil in.

i understand how some may feel about doing this, perhaps the way i have to lead my life makes me less squeamish. It is however totally safe, for both humans and fish. lol and if you have kids, its far easier to keep the Ammonia safe. i do find this method faster than any other cycling system, though i agree cloning is probably the fastest method.

it does however cause my wife great amusement, her new battle cry is " Are you Pi$ing around with those fish again"? :rofl:
 
This post is from Jan. months ago
 
Made good reading though

i go on other forums and no one moans when old threads are brought up... why do ppl moan on here?
 
Made good reading though

i go on other forums and no one moans when old threads are brought up... why do ppl moan on here?

You've used the plural. One person has moaned, not the whole community.
 
LOl... whats the one plural of moaned


god ,i have probs with my kids homework and hes only 9!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top