Reaction score
I have a 30 gallon tank.

I want to put
-9 tiger barbs
-6 zebra danios
-6 serpae tetras
-1 opaline gourami
-6 Cory cats, most likely albino

-1 pleco (currently in but will donate if I need to)

I will have sand soon.
I have an aquaclear 50 filter (1 sponge and 2 mesh bags of ceramic media) and will be adding a homemade moving bed media filter with the k-1 or hel-x media.

Criticize please

They aren't currently bullying any fish in the tank.

Afraid the advice on the barbs is spot on. If size isn't an issue why not go for a shoal of harlequins? Although smaller they are much prettier in my opinion. That would allow a pair of gourami's which I think always looks better.

I have 8 barbs in my 120ltre tank along with lemon tetras, beacon tetras and harlequins rasboras and so far no probs at all. The tigers are too busy chasing themselves hence defo do need a group I'd say higher than 6 but bigger the better but touch wood they don't pay my other fish much attention & I think they are awesome fish!!! Just don't get any with long flowing find like male bettas, etc and in my novice experience all should be find as it is for me!!!

You'll probably be alright with that stocking however you're on the very upper edge. Track your nitrates each week for the next few weeks and compare them to your tap water to give you an idea of how high the bioload is. Also you'll probably want to over filter to be sure there is enough media for bacterial growth (although a single correctly sized filter 'should' be ok).
You're going to have to be very diligent with water changes. Especially as they continue growing to full size. It'll make going on holiday/leaving the tank for extended periods of time much more risky unless someone can do water changes for you.

Personally I'd remove the 'pleco' - but do you know what type it is?

Also I really wish people would stop saying that tiger barbs can't go in communities as though it is a fact. There ARE certain fish which I'd agree they're too risky to mix with. But like Dazzler said, so long as they're a decent sized group (9 in this case), they should keep eachother occupied fine in alot of cases.

Thinking about moving the 5 zebras and 3 serpaes to a 10 gallon. Would that be a good idea if I want like 20 barbs?

I dont think 10gal is suitable for fish as active as danios. However I reckon the sepae would be happy in there. I thought it was 6 danios and 6 serpae though?

What sort of tank are you wanting? Is it just the barbs activity that you really like? If so maybe consider just keeping the barbs and the corys. If it were just the barbs and corys then you could definitely up the number of barbs, I'm not sure how many though. Possibly not 20.

Like a said you really need to track how high your nitrates are compared to your tap water each week before adding more fish.

I wanted to get 6 of each lol. Righht now its 1 opaline gourami, 3 serpae, 5 zebra, 6 tiger barbs(very tiny), 1 pleco, and 3 bigger sized tiger barbs in a 10 gallon waiting to be moved. The other numbers is what I wanted to get.

You'll probably be alright with that stocking however you're on the very upper edge. Track your nitrates each week for the next few weeks and compare them to your tap water to give you an idea of how high the bioload is. Also you'll probably want to over filter to be sure there is enough media for bacterial growth (although a single correctly sized filter 'should' be ok).
You're going to have to be very diligent with water changes. Especially as they continue growing to full size. It'll make going on holiday/leaving the tank for extended periods of time much more risky unless someone can do water changes for you.

Personally I'd remove the 'pleco' - but do you know what type it is?

Also I really wish people would stop saying that tiger barbs can't go in communities as though it is a fact. There ARE certain fish which I'd agree they're too risky to mix with. But like Dazzler said, so long as they're a decent sized group (9 in this case), they should keep eachother occupied fine in alot of cases.

Didn't say it was fact. I said it CAN happen :)

If you really like your tiger barbs (which yes, they are nice fish) keep an eye on aggression. Especially aggression towards the cories. I have heard of them tearing up cories. As long as you know what to look for (nipped fins and such) you will be okay. Keep the 10g as a spare on the off chance you have some issues

They can go in community tanks, they are just one of the barbs that are notorious for fin nipping. Iv had a group of 12 in a 260 litre and they were a nightmare after a while lol tried all sorts with them even other barbs like Odessas but had to rehome the tigers in the end

Tiger Barbs can be fantastic fish when kept in a group of six or more. I've never had any of my Barbs nip any of their tankmates. Anything is possible. My Barbs can be great but another group of Barbs in another tank could be different. Shouldn't paint fish with a broad brush. Too many variables involved.

The stocking should be fine if the filter is good enough. You have to be able to determine for yourself if the stocking is to high or not with water test and observing your fish behavior.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back