Is this normal?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stefan3289

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I temporarily have my polar blue parrot cichlid in my 29 where I have my 10 cories. Whenever a Cory comes close to them, he tries to give them a little chase, but they always outrun him and he gives up after a second. He is only about 1.5 inches, while my cories range from juvenile (.5 to about 2”). He doesn’t seem to be territorial and the cories just go back to syphoning the gravel. Should I be concerned?

So I temporarily have my polar blue parrot cichlid in my 29 where I have my 10 cories. Whenever a Cory comes close to them, he tries to give them a little chase, but they always outrun him and he gives up after a second. He is only about 1.5 inches, while my cories range from juvenile (.5 to about 2”). He doesn’t seem to be territorial and the cories just go back to syphoning the gravel. Should I be concerned?
Meant to say siphoning sand

I don't think so, I have heard that parrots aren't super aggressive. Also he is just a lad and probably isn't going to be super territorial till sexual maturity. Get a second opinion though.

The PB parrot is very active and whenever anyone comes to the tank he comes to the front and follows you around. He also likes to chase his reflection..

The PB parrot is very active and whenever anyone comes to the tank he comes to the front and follows you around. He also likes to chase his reflection..
Huh, thats interesting. If you just got him it could be he is still apprehensive of other fish, and in bigger numbers. At this point I'm going out on a limb perhaps @Wills or @Byron could step in and take it from here.

He was kept in an only species tank and I did just get him about a week or two ago so maybe he is just curious?

He was kept in an only species tank and I did just get him about a week or two ago so maybe he is just curious?
Probably. I'd expect that the tank was packed full, he's probably excited not to be chased and nipped. You plan on keeping him in there?

Parrots are really unpredictable because of the crosses of species that are in there - its a bit of a guarded secret but its usually accepted that there is a Severum and a Midas somewhere in there. These polar variants look like they have been crossed with a Convict - possibly a Honduran Red Point so that brings in even more genes pointing to agressive/assertive behaviour.

Equally they can be quite laid back which is presubably the Severum trait in them but they are still a cichlid so shouldnt be assumed to be totally placid like other large fish.

Hopefully the cories will learn in time but its certainly something to monitor very closely.

Wills

Probably. I'd expect that the tank was packed full, he's probably excited not to be chased and nipped. You plan on keeping him in there?
I have heard many different reviews. Someone who lives in Thailand says that there is a lot more info on them and that they only grow 3.5”. Others say he grows up to 10 like a King Kong Parrot...However, most people seem to agree that they have a mildly aggressive temperament. I know @PheonixKingZ said he has seen some at 7” but the YouTube videos I have seen and pictures in another forum they seem to be around the 3.5”

I have heard many different reviews. Someone who lives in Thailand says that there is a lot more info on them and that they only grow 3.5”. Others say he grows up to 10 like a King Kong Parrot...However, most people seem to agree that they have a mildly aggressive temperament. I know @PheonixKingZ said he has seen some at 7” but the YouTube videos I have seen and pictures in another forum they seem to be around the 3.5”
Probably varies species to species. I'm sure there are smaller varieties you could keep in a 29

It is also mentioned that are easy to breed like convicts, however, I am not sure
Probably varies species to species. I'm sure there are smaller varieties you could keep in a 29
I know mine is the “polar blue” species I can see it on his chest and fins. I also found another name they go by “zebra parrot” but those don’t seem to have the blue and that could be the bigger one. The person from Thailand said they call them “mini parrot” there, they meaning the PB ones

The blood parrot I have is temp. In a 28 gallon with some rams and corys... he is extremely shy and has done the same kind of gone up and nudged at the Cory's and then gone back to his hiding spot...him and the rams get along really well though as rams are not super active and kinda just sit there..

Most reactions

trending

Back