is this a cichlid? what kind, if it is?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

steppy104

Grarr
Reaction score
these wierd lookin things came in with their goldfish, and the person working in that department (a friend of my bf's) said "yeah...thats a cichlid....but i get to sell it at goldfish price....15 cent each."

i haven't seen any cichlids like this so far....only colorful ones....here is mine:
Photo0014.jpg

thanks for checkin this out :D

i'll try...i haven't got a dig. camera, so i gotta stretch the cam over to the tank to get a pic.....i'm lucky to even get that pic! lol...the things move too much!

Photo0031.jpg

here are the newer tank mates i just put in....so far the cichlids don't like them, but i'm hoping they'll get over it.

I'm sorry I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone will be along soon who can ID it.

Looks like some kind of coldwater fish... :unsure: It looks like a sunfish :thumbs:
We have fish like that on Long Island+in N.Y., do a google search on north american sunfish :thumbs:

ok...i'll look into the sunfish thing.

but i find it quite odd that sunfish would mistakenly come in with a bag of goldfish at one of our local grocery stores....there was about 10 of them total out of about 4 or 5 bags that the goldfish come in. (i'd say at least 30+ in each bag)

oh ya, these things are very aggresive and about the same size as the pictured gourami.

well, i looked it up, and it VERY looks like some kind of sunfish or bluegill. my dad keeps insisting it's a bass of some type....but the fins look more like the sunfish :D thanks alot! ya figured the mystery! :cool:

well, i looked it up some more, and all i can figure is that it is the bass pictured below in the right row, 3rd from the top......and here is a list of all the names to these bass: Alabama Spotted Bass, Florida Largemouth Bass, Guadalupe Bass, Largemouth Bass, Northern Spotted Bass, Redeye Bass, Roanoke Bass, Rock Bass, Shoal Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Striped Bass, Suwanee Bass, White Bass, White Perch, White Rock, and last but not least Yellow Bass.
i just don't know which one goes to which picture :grr:

freshwater_bass_NA.jpg

does anyone know?

i'm so confused....i'm bout to call them "it"'s :dunno:

:EDIT: i just did a google search on triggers....it doesn't look anything like them! :crazy:

steppy104 said:
well, i looked it up, and it VERY looks like some kind of sunfish or bluegill. my dad keeps insisting it's a bass of some type....but the fins look more like the sunfish :D thanks alot! ya figured the mystery! :cool:
Yeah, that's all I catch when I go FW fishing in N.Y. :dunno: :lol:

How many do you have?

If those are sunfish and you have a breeding pair, they will kill every fish in your tank. :(

Most reactions

trending

Back