is this a cichlid? what kind, if it is?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hard to tell from the quality of the pic itself but my guess would be some sort of Jewel Cichlid

01%20cichlid_jewel_turquoise.jpg

jewel3.jpg

it's all grey, like the fish i mentioned in the poster. the only color besides grey is the blackish dot right behind it's eye.

a ton of fish have that shape...i found that out yesterday. the thing in the poster is the closest. i'm nearly 100% positive that it's that one. i just need to know what kind of bass that is! :blink:

Well, it's not a rock bass, my brother had one of those, and I had a very small one once and they have dark markings on them before they're even half an inch long, and since I don't see any red on it's eye so it can't be a red-eye. I'd say it's definetely a bass of some sort though.

i saw a killie fish that looked like that once, well the said it was a killie fish anyways

It's DEFINITELY a small sunfish... like a blue gill...
In Florida we call them Brim...

They sneak in as "contaminates" with the feeder fish or Ghost shrimp deliveries to your local fish store...
They're fun... Not too aggressive but will eat small fish...

Cian McLiam said:
Geophagus jurupari???

Thats what it looks like to me:
Geophagus+jurupari.jpg

K
I have a geo, closely related to that, so, I think not. Mild Bill, thank you for agreeing with me, It definately looks like a bluegill :thumbs:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH crud.

That's a BASS?!!! If it is, then I AM in trouble! I got one of those at a Meijer's feeder fish tank, too. I thought it was a bluegill or a crappie or something, and seeing as my mom wanted a couple of bluegills in her pond, I put it in there. But if it's bass, man, those poor goldfish in the pond are in trouble once that thing grows up! As it is, I think I'm gonna let my mom figure that one out on her own... :whistle:

steppy104 said:
well, i looked it up some more, and all i can figure is that it is the bass pictured below in the right row, 3rd from the top......and here is a list of all the names to these bass: Alabama Spotted Bass, Florida Largemouth Bass, Guadalupe Bass, Largemouth Bass, Northern Spotted Bass, Redeye Bass, Roanoke Bass, Rock Bass, Shoal Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Striped Bass, Suwanee Bass, White Bass, White Perch, White Rock, and last but not least Yellow Bass.
i just don't know which one goes to which picture :grr:

freshwater_bass_NA.jpg

does anyone know?
Try and get some more pictures .

It looks like some kind of sunfish , long ear , blue gill , pumkinsead .

Sunfish are a member of the pearch family as are bass , cichlids and a few other species of fish .

This helps to explain the confusion . A full grown sunfish should be around 7" or less[ under 12 " ] a bass would end growing a bit larger , quite a bit [ over 12" , well over ]

Maybe you should post something in the cold water section , someone may be more definate with an answer .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back