Internal Parasites? Help please.

Care_bear

Reaction score
Hi

Tank size: 24L (5.27 gallons, or 6.34 US gallons)
pH: 8.1 (API master test kit)
ammonia: 0.25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 5
kH: between 15 and 20 (6 in 1 test strip)
gH: 16 (6 in 1 test strip)
tank temp: 24
Cl: 0

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

My daughter has a small tank with some platy fish. One has lost weight, spends a lot of time sitting at the bottom of the tank. Swims for food but doesn't seem to find it as easily as before. Most of the time it curls around when it is sat down and sometimes when it swims. It mostly curls to one side of its body but sometimes it does curl the other way instead. By curls I mean as if it were trying to look at its tail. Sometimes when it goes to sit down it moves around in a circle in the way that a dog or cat sometimes do to fit in a small spot!
Sometimes it curls to its side and 'judders' (shakes), it's got progressively noticeable over the last few weeks. It doesn't swim as well as it used to, it looks an effort.
There are no noticeable marks, injuries, spots or red patches. No worms attached that we can see.
I really feel that the fish will continue to deteriorate slowly and eventually die, but really want to know what the problem is and treat if we can.
Platy is about 5 months old, female, not pregnant.
It has got some dark spots (or small patches) on its top fin that it didn't have when it was younger. They don't appear to be sitting on the fin but are part of it.

Weekly water changes, of 50% or more.

We have been using 'Love Fish' tap safe (Pets at Home own brand), until recently we ran out and now use API stress coat+.
Two days ago I dosed with King British Disease Clear.
In the past occasionally, but not within the last month, we have used 'Love Fish' Filter Boost, and Seachem Replenish.
Sponge? filter (not carbon).

Tank inhabitants:
5 little platys, all born in the tank. 3 are about 5 months, 2 are about 4 months. The mother and some other babies since died. All female.

No recent additions.

Exposure to chemicals:
Only ones already mentioned.

They are fed Aquarian Complete flakes, occasionally green stuff. We have tried the process with peas to help their digestion but it hasn't made any difference.

Please can anyone tell me what might be wrong? If I need to treat them I need products I can get in the UK and hopefully not too expensive as its such a small tank we won't use much.

Digital photo (include if possible):
Sorry about the poor quality of pictures
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 10.46.35.png
Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 10.46.21.png

Thank you.

EDIT: To correct the GH and KH readings.

Last edited:
I took a little film clip but I don't know of a way to upload so it can be seen here.

Thank you Barry. My first ever uTube clip! Not that it's very interesting.

I'm afraid the fish is being stressed by the tank he's in, and the water.

I hate to tell you but 24 litres is way too small for platies. And a GH of 6 is too soft for platies.
Platies need a tank that is at least 60 x 30 x 30 cm, and a GH of over 10. The stress of being in a tank that's too small makes fish more susceptible to infections; and hard water fish kept in soft water suffer from calcium depletion.

I know you don't want to hear this, but it would be best for the fish if they are returned to the shop and your daughter keeps fish that are more suited. The ideal fish for this tank is a betta (siamese fighting fish), just the one on his own. They can be kept in tanks this size, and the GH is perfect for them.

Hi Essjay

That doesn't sound right to me, so I've checked the record sheet and we must have made a mistake. I got the GH and KH values the wrong way round, and also the KH couldn't have been 6 because the previous day it was 15.
I'm sorry.

Mon 27 Jan (I tested with the test strip only)
GH 16+
KH 15

Tue 28 Jan (We tested with the master kit and because it doesn't cover GH and KH we also used a test strip)
GH between 8 and 16, closer to 16
KH 6 (value read out by a 10 year old and written down myself - think we got it wrong)

Now, Thur 30 Jan
GH 16
KH between 15 and 20 (in the red zone).

I can see that the NO3 is getting high today so will need to give them a clean.

Does your advice change please Essjay? We certainly wouldn't want to get a betta to find the water is wrong for them.

It does change one part of my advice - the water is fine for platies.

But the tank is still too small, I'm afraid.

Something I forgot to ask earlier - how long has the tank been set up? If it's very new, you need to be able to test for ammonia which are not included in the strips. Ammonia is the first thing to show in a new tank unless it has been fishless cycled first by adding ammonia to the tank. But if it has been running with the platies in for more than 2 months, there should be no ammonia by now.

the tank size isn't the main issue and isn't causing this.

there is too much water movement for the fish.

I can't read anything on this forum so I can't comment on whatever you wrote. if you can sum it up n 1 short sentence I might be able to help

Oh dear we were given bad advice from the LFS then, they said up to 12 platys would be okay in a 24L tank. Better than we learn the truth now before getting any more, thank you.

I presume our water quality wouldn't be suitable for a betta instead then? I know the pump would need changing as the water flow is too fast for a betta.

Tank has been set up 6 months, fishless cycle.

I would still like to know whats wrong with the fish. Is it illness caused by stress due to tank size then? Nothing that can be done?
I don't want to move them to someone elses bigger tank if they are contagious.

Hi Colin
1 platy skinny, sitting on bottom a lot, sometimes curling and twitching. 5 months old, female, not pregnant. 4 tank mates ok, all platys similar age.

Oh dear we were given bad advice from the LFS then

The most important lesson in fishkeeping is don't trust shop workers. There are some good ones, but the rest haven't a clue.

I'll leave the health issues to Colin as he knows much more than me about fish diseases.

Once you've sorted the platies' health, a few male endlers should be OK in the tank and your water. No females as they are bigger and will have lots of fry.

Try adding some salt to the tank.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate will affect some plants. The lower dose rate will not affect plants.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Thank you Colin

I really appreciate the help.

Is the salt safe to use with the King British Disease Clear that is already in the tank please? It says not to use with any other medicines.
We have only the 5 platys and no live plants.

This the the info on the pump we have. It came WITH the tank as part of a set. It does seem strong for the tank.

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 22.53.35.png

Can anyone please suggest what pump we should have for a 24L tank please? It's my 10 year olds, she saved up for everything.

Thank you all again.

Most reactions

Back