Interested in SW...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
you don't need any sand in the tank

alot of ppl just have for the look

the other reason is if have fish, snails, starfish that sleep or live and feed in the sand

I’m going to have sand, because 1) I like the look of it, 2) because I may have some sort of goby in the future, and 3) because it will help support the rocks.

Now that being said, is it generally recommended not to have over an inch of sand in a saltwater aquarium?

ok but you put the rocks directly on the aquarium floor or rest it on egg crate, this is to stop it moving and possibly breaking any of the glass.

that tank will not be big enough to support a sand shifting goby unless you get one that will eat other food sources.

if you want agoby get acouple of yellow gobies, they stay small and dont live or clean the sand

you can have sand bed from 1 mm to 9 cms ( granted if you goto 9 cms, then it becomes a deep bed sand filter)

i would put about 1/2 inch in the bottom, you can add to it if needed

also you may need some form of coral/anemone(fake or real) for the clowns to feel safe or they may just hang around one of the corners not leaving

i would put about 1/2 inch in the bottom, you can add to it if needed

also you may need some form of coral/anemone(fake or real) for the clowns to feel safe or they may just hang around one of the corners not leaving
I just used an online calculator, and it said that I would need around 18lb for 1 inch of sand, which works out perfectly, because I’m getting a 20lb bag of sand.

I do have a small, artificial anemone now, but I’ll look into gett some more artificial.

Here is the artificial anemone I have now:
08F1FE1D-02DA-493E-B039-76D286CC2430.jpeg
20C7DB5C-0A84-4CFD-8964-A1B8EC6A66ED.jpeg

(I put it in my 20g long just to see how it looked underwater)

The neon green ones are kind of cool, but what color do clowns prefer?

Amazon has a bleak selection, so I may check at my LFS.

that would be fine, both the sand and anemone

don't think the clowns will be bothered about the colour, i've had clowns host hairy mushrooms, torch coral and RTBA(red tipped bubble anemone)

I’ll see if I can find more of the white ones online. I would prefer that over say pink, but the white ones aren’t that long. :/

just make sure they are marine water safe, salt water is more harsh on plastics than fresh water.

so even though it's a marine animal it might not be safe

Most of the ones I were looking at were silicon, are these typically safe?

——

I might be able to sell/return my GBFT’s to my LFS tomorrow!

most can but should state if they are

this one does
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGSYZXO/?tag=ff0d01-20

so if you get store credit, moving ever closer

you realise it will start with 2 clowns in a tank then it will be like this and a few thousand quid/dollars lighter

Attachments

• Best_Reef_Aquarium_LED_lighting.jpg
    Best_Reef_Aquarium_LED_lighting.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 44
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That’s actually the one I have right now. I’m afraid the “strings” aren’t long enough for the clowns to hide in...

thought you meant the marine tank at first :)

buy 2 and put them together/next to each other.

alot of the time anemone dont have very long tentacles anyway. it is just to make them feel safe and somewhere to dive back into, without this they do tend to stick it out around powerheads or corners of the tanks

Ok, great news! My LFS will buy them back from me for $1 each, which is fair. (That's the price he gets for them, from the breeder)

Catching these little guys in going to be extremely hard, especially with a 2 inch net. :S I will probably have to drain the tank and remove lots of plants. :rolleyes:

---

This will definitely get the ball rolling. I probably won't be able to take down the tank tomorrow, but I will have plenty of time on Wednesday.

Not sure when I can get all that stuff ordered; depends on when I get payed.
everything-is-going-xake5l.jpg

Most reactions

Back