Indian Almond Leaf basic

TheBettaMan

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I used some IAL before for some of my betta jars. I didnt need to use any type of chemicals for the tap water. I just poured the water in the jars, placed some IAL in, left it for 24 hours and my bettas live happily. The thing I dont like about it is that they make the water turned into browish tea looking water.
I am planning to put some IAL into my shrimp tank. What are some tips for using IAL? What can I do to get rid of the browish color because I want to see my tank clear and also want to see my shrimps too. I have red crystal shrimps, 5 gallon tank.

The brown colour is tannins, a common "side effect" with driftwood and IAL. Fish love it, breeders often purposefully make blackwater tanks for spawning purposes.
I don't think you can get rid of it without water changes, with would end up removing the IAL. You could try a lower dose.

The brown colour is tannins, a common "side effect" with driftwood and IAL. Fish love it, breeders often purposefully make blackwater tanks for spawning purposes.
I don't think you can get rid of it without water changes, with would end up removing the IAL. You could try a lower dose.

Thank you! But If I do water change, will it take away the purpose of the leaves?

If you're using so much IAL that it's changing the Ph of the tank, then yes, water changes would affect that. However, if you're using something like a HOB filter, the cartridges that are made to run in that filter will almost always contain activated carbon(which will look like pebbles of charcoal in the cartridge) activated charcoal will prevent tannins from staining the water.

If you're using so much IAL that it's changing the Ph of the tank, then yes, water changes would affect that.

Not necessarily, When I prepare water I always pre treat the water including adding IAL to the bucket then I let the whole thing " mix" for 2 days, the ph of the new water is only a point or 2 different to the old water.

dpfiKMP.jpg

However, if you're using something like a HOB filter, the cartridges that are made to run in that filter will almost always contain activated carbon(which will look like pebbles of charcoal in the cartridge) activated charcoal will prevent tannins from staining the water.

In my opinion.
Activated carbon is only useful for removing medication from the water, I spend money on IAL for its tannins and the benefits those tannins provide, There is NO way I would use activated carbon to remove them.

In my opinion.
Activated carbon is only useful for removing medication from the water, I spend money on IAL for its tannins and the benefits those tannins provide, There is NO way I would use activated carbon to remove them.

I understand but his question was how to avoid the water staining, I don't know any other options for removing tannins besides water changes and activated carbon. It sounds like you know a lot more about IAL than I do though so maybe you can assist him further.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back