Black Water Extract

NickAu

Fish Connoisseur
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I was looking at ordering some EasyLife water conditioner online when I came accross Black water Extract.
As I have softwater fish, Gourami, Rasboras, and shrimp, I already add IAL ( Indian almond leaf ) so I know my tank will look " dirty " , I was wondering ifĀ  this stuff is any good, I am quite happy to pay the $20 as long as it benefits my fish, And black water tanks look kool.
Ā 
Ā 

Blackwater Conditioner 1 Litre

Black water Extract

Overview

So you've decided to go for the natural south American river basin look for your discus, catfish, apistos, angels or tetras and make your aquarium a black water bio type or you want to make your tank more acidic and induce breeding.
Black water Extract is a specific mix of tannins produced from select extracts. It has also been improved with better water softening properties.
Not only will your fish and inverts prefer the Acidic tannins it also has health properties for a natural medication. Black water extract contains minerals and trace elements.
Black water extract has a two fold effect, apart from containing a pure form of peat which contains Tannin and Humic acids (essential to replicating Amazonian type water), it also has a Calcium specific de-ionizer that assist in softening water. In the process of doing this it also removes the toxic effects of Calcium Hydroxide in Town Water. Because of this profoundly well researched principle of Calcium removal this product is unparalleled by any other of this type.

Size 1 Litre

Dose Rate:

Start with 10ml Per 20 Litres (Higher dose can be used)
Ā 
http://www.thetechden.com.au/Black_Water_Extract_Water_Conditioner_1_Litre_p/bw1l.htm

hmm interestingĀ 
Ā 
Ā 
I'm saving for a brand new tank and it will be brand new everything and it will be blackwater inspired. Of that much I'm certain

I think it's TTA that uses rooibos tea for the same purpose, there are plenty of ways of making blackwater that are probably cheaper, but you do get the convenience with a bottle.

yes, I've heard of the tea method too. Not tried it yet though. I could try it with my current tank I suppose and see if I still like it before going the whole hog

DrRob said:
I think it's TTA that uses rooibos tea for the same purpose, there are plenty of ways of making blackwater that are probably cheaper, but you do get the convenience with a bottle.
Indeed he does. He buys it in bulk, and even sold me some very cheap. It works great and has no effect on the pH. It also adds polyphenols to the water.

does anyone know if all the rooibos tea are safe or if there are only certain one's and how do I go about this? Would I just need to drop a tea bag in each bucket when I water change or is there some secret special method?!

The answer to your question is exactly what you think: Ā Heat some water - steep the tea leaves in it for as long as you'd like to darken the water. Ā Slowly pour the 'tea' (once cooled) into the tank. Ā Repeat until desired color is attained. Ā  Repeat as necessary after water changes.

okay, I might have a go. Thanks :D

Here is the text of the handout I offer folks at fish evenets when I am selling Roobibos.
Ā 
Rooibos Tea

• [SIZE=12pt]Is beneficial for fish, 100% caffeine and tannin free and you can drink it too.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Will stain water like peat, almond leaves or alder cones and can be used with them.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Will not soften water or lower pH. It is more likely to bump pH up by 0.1. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Can be brewed like tea and poured into the water or can be put into a bag in oneā€™s filter. Once brewed it can be stored refrigerated for about a week.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]When brewing, allow it to boil for a bit after the tea is added to the hot water.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]It is hard to overdose. Start with about 1 rounded tablespoon per 10 gal. (38 L) of water and adjust from there to find the color you like.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Buying Rooibos helps to support the local farmers in South Africa.[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Wikipedia (at [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt])[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]states:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Rooibos tea (meaning red bush in Afrikaans and pronounced roy + boss) has nothing to do with traditional tea, which comes from the Chinese plant Camellia sinensis in the family Rosaceae. Rooibos comes from the plant, Aspalathus linearis, a legume in the family Fabaceae- it is related to peas and beans. The bush is more like a broom than a bush. The top of the bush is cut off, dried and oxidized before packing in tea bags or sold as loose tea.[/SIZE]
Ā 
Rooibos is becoming more popular in Western countries, particularly among health-conscious consumers, due to its high level of antioxidants such as aspalathin and nothofagin, its lack of caffeine, and its low tannin levels compared to fully oxidized black tea or unoxidized green tea leaves. Rooibos also contains a number of phenolic compounds, including flavanols, flavones, flavanones, and dihydrochalcones.
Ā 
[SIZE=12pt]For fish keeping we are interested in the plant phenolic compounds that act as antioxidants and also as antibacterials (it wonā€™t harm filters). This is similar to the humic acids found in natural ā€œteaā€ stained water. Oak leaves contain a lot of the plant phenolic quercetin (from the Latin name for the oak tree, Quercus robur) and rooibos also contains some quercetin plus the compound aspalathin, which is closely related to quercetin. [/SIZE]
Ā 
[SIZE=12pt]Research at the University of Stellenbosch shows that rooibos also has natural stress relieving properties. It is entirely safe to use and is beneficial for keepers and fish alike. The "organic" label is unnecessary for rooibos as it is grown naturally without using insecticides and herbicides, they are just simply not needed and can actually harm the plant. [/SIZE]
Ā 
[SIZE=12pt]Here is an email I got from an Altum keeper:[/SIZE]
Ā 
Hey Chris, just wanted to let you know that my big bag (almost gone, I guess we are using it more than my altum!) is NOT ORGANIC, just the regular.
Last night I wrapped some (rooibos) with sphagnum peat moss in a fine mesh bag that my wife made for the purpose and I simply put it in one of the overflow boxes. You gotta see how nice the water and the fish look today.
Ā 
Bear in mind that most of the water in Amazon basin is not tea stained even though it is soft and has an acid pH. "The Amazon and some of its tributaries, called "whitewater" rivers, bear rich sediments and hydrobiological elements. The blackwater and clearwater rivers, such as the Negro, TapajĆ³s, and Xingu have clear or dark water with few nutrients and little sediment." (from zebrapleco.com).
Ā 
I started out using tea bags and after a couple of months and upgrading the tank size, I switched to bulk.Ā  I control the pH in the tanks where I need stained acid water by other means which are more exact than simply adding things like IAL, alder cones or peat. I use all of these as well as the rooibos. However the tea is easier to use, less messy and a lot cheaper. I also buy my IAL in bulk.
Ā 
Because the rooibos provides the bulk of the staining, it makes the color much easier to control than the other items.
Ā 
If you want to try rooibos, make sure you get pure rooibos, that is, no other flavors added.

thanks TTA ... I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'm going to have a look for some ... I'll let you know how I get on :D

Ā 
[SIZE=12pt]Will not soften water or lower pH. It is more likely to bump pH up by 0.1. [/SIZE]
So in other words this Roobibos tea is useless to me as it dont soften water like peat moss extract.

If your goal is specifically softening the water, then no, it won't help with that. Ā But, if your goal is the look, then it will achieve that and the added benefits that TTA outlined.
Ā 
Ā 
What are your water conditions? Ā Ā 

The only reliable and controllable way to soften water (which may also lower pH) is with ro water.
Ā 
Ā 
Peat moss softens water and reduces its hardness (GH). The most effective way to soften water via peat is to aerate water for 1-2 weeks in a bucket containing peat moss. For example, get a (plastic) bucket of the appropriate size. Then, get a large quantity of peat (a gallon or more), boil it (so that it sinks), stuff it in a pillow case, and place it in the water bucket. Use an air pump to aerate it. In 1-2 weeks, the water will be softer and more acidic. Use this aged water when making partial water changes on your tank.
Ā 
Peat can be bought at pet shops, but it is expensive. It is much more cost-effective to buy it in bulk at a local gardening shop. Read labels carefully! You don't want to use peat containing fertilizers or other additives.
Ā 
Although some folks place peat in the filters of their tanks, the technique has a number of drawbacks. First, peat clogs easily, so adding peat isn't always effective. Second, peat can be messy and may cloud the water in your tank. Third, the exact quantity of peat needed to effectively soften your water is difficult to estimate. Using the wrong amount results in the wrong water chemistry. Finally, when doing water changes, your tank's chemistry changes when new water is added (it has the wrong properties). Over the next few days, the chemistry changes as the peat takes effect. Using aged water helps ensure that the chemistry of your tank doesn't fluctuate while doing water changes.
Ā 
Hard water can also be softened by diluting it with distilled water or R/O water. R/O (reverse-osmosis) water is purified water made by a R/O unit.
from http://fins.actwin.com/aquariafaq.html

A shout out for TTA!! I need your help!
Ā 
I got some tea today and I just want to confirm it's the right thing! It's a redbush. It says on the packet as follows
Ā 
RedBush Pure: Carefully sourced from the Cedarberg region of South Africa. 100% Natural, hand picked from the rooboi plant, grown only in the Western Cape of South Africa, before being cut and dried - nothing is added.
Ā 
Ā 
Is this the right stuff for my tank? It's tea bags not loose (couldn't find any loose) but I'm guessing I can just cut open a bag or two! Can you just let me know this is the right thing before I add it to the tank. Cheers :D

Yes it is. Rooibos means red bush in Afrikaans. There is never a need to pay up for an "organic" label on rooibos because the plant is so sensitive that the types of things that might make it non organic because "The "organic" label is unnecessary for rooibos as it is grown naturally without using insecticides and herbicides, they are just simply not needed and can actually harm the plant. "
Ā 
[SIZE=12pt]Unlike normal teas, this one should be allowed to boil for a bit after the tea is added to the water.[/SIZE] I premix my new water and add all things to it before it goes into the tank and this included the brewed tea. One can also put it into a bag in one's filter like you would with peat. But this is more messy and more effort than simply brewing and pouring the tea into the tank of water container. So much easier and cheaper than IAL and peat or alder cones. I use it to reduce my need for these things. I achieve the lower TDS and pH by using ro/di water and muriatic acid. I would never even consider making peat extract etc. instead of the methods i do use. I control my water parameters very closely and you cannot do this with extracts etc.
Ā 
In order to keep the use of IAL and rooibos reasonable in terms of cost, I buy both in bulk wholesale. I simple sell part of them which exceed my needs. I have a lifetime supply of rooibos and my IALs last me a couple of years even though I sell some. The sales simply help me defer my own costs.
Ā 
But in order to control the parameters I have a continuous monitor for pH, temp and TDS on the tank and I move the probes into the changing water container when I mix it up to insure I control exactly what is going back into the tank. Despite what folks read all over the net, for the fish in this tank, I have dropped the pH by 1.0 in under 5 minutes and the fish didn't even blink. However, the TDS were essentailly unchanged.

Most reactions

Back