In Uk, Stuck For Ammonia?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joeskandal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Homebase sell it!!

I rang boots and spoke to the pharmacist there and he explained that theirs has preservative in it, this being no good.

But Homebase sell 9.5% ammonia with no other ingredients. :hooray:

Bit of advice though, if you are a curious person, as i am, and wanna know what it smells like, dont take a big sniff!! it burnt my nose and the smell was horrendous! :sick:

Yeah, ammonia is poisonous, glad to hear you are okay!

-FHM

I did the same thing when I got my first ammonia from Homebase :rolleyes:.

I heard it was dangerous but was curious as I had been told that science teachers used to tell kids to sniff it in class, and weightlifters often use it as a boost before lifting.

Took a small sniff and didn't smell a thing, so moved closer and got way more than I bargained for, my eyes were watering and I rushed to wash my mouth/nose out in the sink :lol:.

I used the boots one and it took a while but I got there eventually. It didn't mention any preservative on the bottle?
Whereabouts is it in homebase?

I used the boots one and it took a while but I got there eventually. It didn't mention any preservative on the bottle?
Whereabouts is it in homebase?

Usually the household cleaning section.

Cheers.

Just to bring things down to earth a bit here as there are children present.

It is extremely dangerous to sniff at ammonia solution and it should not be joked about :no:

*steps down from his soap box*

You sniffed it? I'm surprised it didn't kill you...and I'm being serious.

yeah man, i took in a right lungful too.
I have put worse things up my nose before..!
drool.gif

good god! you knew what it would smell like too :lol: ( you must be waaay too inquisitive)
same tho, glad your still standing :)

The Boots one doesn't seem to have any perfume or detergent in it, certainly not the one that I got about a month ago. Ask them for the MSDS on it, and it has no mention of any other ingredients. I think the guy was just talking out of his backside - there's no need for preservative in ammonia solution. It's already highly soluble in water, so you don't have any problems with it gassing off, and it is a fairly strong disinfectant anyway, so no need to stop any bacterial growth.

"smelling salts" used to revive people who have fainted are ammonia. will wake you up alright. glad no ill effects from it. just thought id add that.
cheers

I think it must be a UK thing, I was also curious to know what it smelled like, so took a good deep noseful, and pretty soon wished I hadn't.

I've just looked at the (Homebase version) bottle and it does say don't inhale, so there you go. I haven't had my usual winter (xmas) cold yet, so perhaps it's good for you after all. :lol:

ammonia is used to get people to come around after fainting,
they just put it under thier nose and it wakes them up...
well thats what a pharmasist told me

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back