Finding Ammonia In The Uk

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mola Mola

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just posting this in case it could be of use to others.

I've had a bit of a hard time finding ammonia to do a fish-less cycle. It seems that my local Boot's stores used to stock it, but have stopped. The same with Wilkinsons and HomeBase. I've also tried various hardware and pound stores, but to no avail.

I finally managed to get some at Robert Dyas, and at least the couple of local stores I called had it.

The ingredients are not too clear, but I have called the manufacturer today (Homecare Products), and they confirmed to me that it is just ammonia and water (they also said that it was "1 to 10%", which I didn't quite understand), but they also said that they have heard of it used in fish tanks.

I've attached a couple of shots of the bottle.

Hope this is helpful, and I'd also appreciate any advice on how to best figure out how much to use in my tank (80L).

Attachments

• RD_Ammonia_1.JPG
    RD_Ammonia_1.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 25
  • RD_Ammonia_2.JPG
    RD_Ammonia_2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 23
To get it from Boots, one needs to order it on their website, then collect it from the shop (free) or have it delivered to one's house.

"1 to 10%" means that it is a 10% solution. Boots ammonia is 9.5%, and another common concentration is 25%.

For a standard fish-less cycle, you want to dose about 2 ml for 4 ppm, taking substrate into account.

Want to experiment with a theory of mine? Dose 1 - 1.5 ml to get about 2 ppm ammonia, once ammonia and nitrite hit 0 ppm, dose about 1.5 - 2 ml, next time around dose 2 ml and 2 ml each time thereafter. Always wait for both ammonia and nitrite to both hit 0 ppm before redosing. I reckon this method will reduce the likelyhood of stalls, but it is untested yet (I am looking for volunteers ;) ).

There are various threads all over the forum and in peoples signatures to find Ammonia in the UK, although i havent seen the above. Im glad you called to confirm its only Ammonia and Water, as the bottle above states "Ammonia Solution". On that alone, i wouldnt use it, as some companies put surficants etc into them to make them clean better. Since its going to be used for fishless cycling, not only is this not helpful, its EXTREMELY harmful to the fish.

The 1 to 10 thing they are talking about is likely the concentration. Most that people use Ammonia on this forum (UK anyway) comes from either Boots online, or Homebase, from the store (where i got mine). These have a concentration between 9-10%, or 1:10 ratios, 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water = 10%. Either way, its pretty potent stuff.

I reckon this method will reduce the likelyhood of stalls, but it is untested yet (I am looking for volunteers ;) ).

I read your blog quite early on, so maybe if others are doing the same, place something on their asking for volunteers. I would have done it if i had known Kat!! :)

MOLA - The amount you need for your tank is 3ml, in order to reach he normal 4ppm. This is based on using a 9.5% Ammonia solution (Homebase brand straight from the bottle.) You'll need 4ml to reach 4ppm if using 9% (Boots i think).

Try this http://www.stanlee.plus.com/AmmoniaCalc.htm (Becuase i cant find our one, and i never can!).

There are various threads all over the forum and in peoples signatures to find Ammonia in the UK, although i havent seen the above. Im glad you called to confirm its only Ammonia and Water, as the bottle above states "Ammonia Solution". On that alone, i wouldnt use it, as some companies put surficants etc into them to make them clean better. Since its going to be used for fishless cycling, not only is this not helpful, its EXTREMELY harmful to the fish.

The 1 to 10 thing they are talking about is likely the concentration. Most that people use Ammonia on this forum (UK anyway) comes from either Boots online, or Homebase, from the store (where i got mine). These have a concentration between 9-10%, or 1:10 ratios, 1 part ammonia to 10 parts water = 10%. Either way, its pretty potent stuff.

I posted on Mola's other thread that I thought that the Dyas product was not suitable, but since he's called the manufacturer and they've confirmed it's just ammonia and water, then that should be fine.

I believe they are correct in calling it ammonia solution, as it is ammonia diluted with water. It is not 100% ammonia. It is 10% ammonia, 90% water.

Lol I just went in and asked their pharmacy if they stocked it :) - its over the counter though.

I called one branch of Boots yesterday and also went into another this morning. They both told me that they used to stock it, but have stopped doing so quite recently.

On their website it currently says unavailable, so I wonder if it is getting harder to find than it used to be.

I posted on Mola's other thread that I thought that the Dyas product was not suitable, but since he's called the manufacturer and they've confirmed it's just ammonia and water, then that should be fine.

I believe they are correct in calling it ammonia solution, as it is ammonia diluted with water. It is not 100% ammonia. It is 10% ammonia, 90% water.

Completely agree with the above, unless it shows a concentration level, it would make me wary, and would likely make me do what Mola has done, and call the supplier to check.

You would assume its an "ammonia solution" without reading the ingredients, but one would assume if there is more than one ingredient, (which there clearly is, even if its water) then they would just say that, like the Boots and Homebase Varieties;

Ingredients - Ammonia (9.5%), Water.

I think writing "Solution" as the ingredients says there is something else in there that they're not telling me about...... (Perhaps im just paraniod)

..... :)

Lol I just went in and asked their pharmacy if they stocked it :) - its over the counter though.

I called one branch of Boots yesterday and also went into another this morning. They both told me that they used to stock it, but have stopped doing so quite recently.

On their website it currently says unavailable, so I wonder if it is getting harder to find than it used to be.

I don't think they have much stock on the website either. It was unavailable yesterday, however I was able to order some a couple of hours ago

I reckon this method will reduce the likelyhood of stalls, but it is untested yet (I am looking for volunteers ;) ).
I read your blog quite early on, so maybe if others are doing the same, place something on their asking for volunteers. I would have done it if i had known Kat!! :)
:blush: I just might do that!

Hmm, it was available when I checked a few days ago.. but yes, I have heard almost everyone who was recently looking for some say that they do not stock it in the shops any more.

I'm a bit dubious as to the actual strength of this ammonia.

I put in 4ml about an hour ago. The filter has been running and I took a test a few minutes ago (left it for 5 minutes), and I got a reading of 0.5ppm.

I have added another 5ml and will check again in an hour. That probably won't be enough, but I don't want to overshoot and go too high.

Just posting this in case it could be of use to others.

I've had a bit of a hard time finding ammonia to do a fish-less cycle. It seems that my local Boot's stores used to stock it, but have stopped. The same with Wilkinsons and HomeBase. I've also tried various hardware and pound stores, but to no avail.

I finally managed to get some at Robert Dyas, and at least the couple of local stores I called had it.

The ingredients are not too clear, but I have called the manufacturer today (Homecare Products), and they confirmed to me that it is just ammonia and water (they also said that it was "1 to 10%", which I didn't quite understand), but they also said that they have heard of it used in fish tanks.

I've attached a couple of shots of the bottle.

Hope this is helpful, and I'd also appreciate any advice on how to best figure out how much to use in my tank (80L).

Mola, thank you for putting this picture up. I saw the same product on ebay and was about to buy it however i was given advice that it could contain H2O2 so i didnt buy, I will ask my mum if she needs anything from boots and if she does i way as well buy it from there (online) but if not ill get it from ebay!

Just another quick question, im going tesco today to help my mum with the shopping, any ideas if they sell it there?

thanks

No idea if Tesco stock it; never heard of them having it, but it could be worth a look.

It is getting hard to buy as it can be used as in ingerdient in making explosives for terrorist bombs, apparently :(

The Manchester Fort Boots had ammonia in stock on the shelf (not over the counter) with other cleaning products.....it was on special mind you so not sure if they were getting rid of stock. That was just over a month ago when I was starting my cycle...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back