I’m having withdrawal symptoms!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CraiginWales

Reaction score
So due to disability I’ve had to reluctantly give up my last remaining 500l aquarium of American Cichlids. A lifelong hobby over & I’m gutted 😞!
I was always under the impression that larger tanks were easier to keep. A lot of people have been suggesting I should get a small, planted aquarium & design it so there’s hardly any work involved.
I’ve only ever kept a community tank once; many, many years ago.
I have no idea where to start? Tank size? Fish? Best plants etc?
Can anyone guide me in this direction please of an aquarium with the most minimal of work? TIA

Hello Craig. There are a number of aquarium kits that are available. Something in the 100 liter size should work very well for you. You could keep some small Tetras or Danios.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Hi Craig, sorry to hear you've had to give up your tank, I think most tanks are quite similar in ability to keep but the more water to change and lug around means they are harder to deal with so a smaller tank could be the answer!

Would something like a python system work to help you with water changes? Its just a case of getting the pipes in place and screwed to your tap which lets you empty and fill the tank direct from the sink through a hose.

In terms of how to set up a low maintenance tank, I'd go for something around 100 litres as mentioned above and I'd go for a lightly stocked tank with fish with personality. Dwarf Puffers might be a good option to go for or potentially some kind of Target or Potato Puffer if you are ok with just one fish in the tank. Set the tank up with a lot of slow growing plants like crypts, anubias and ferns so you dont have to constantly trim stems and I'd recommend growing house plants from the surface to help take up nitrates which will give you flexibility on a water change regime.

Wills

Small planted tanks can be quite nice and easy to manage. I have kept an assortment of planted tanks for over 20 years. I never vacuum the substrate. I may vacuum the plants and decor if they have junk accumulated on their surface. But usually my maint. involves a water change, maybe a media rinse and then any ferts get added with the refill. It takes me about 5 minutes to do weekly maint on my 5.5 gal. (about 21L). I am down to my final two pearl danios and the red cherry shrimp. That shrimp colony has been self sustaining in that tank for at least a dozen years even as the fish in the tank have been changed.

I have a 15 gal with enough plants in it for at 30 gal. or bigger. It holds 6 white cloud mountain minnows, a bunch of blue velvet shrimp and a few amano shrimp. I do vac this tank every few months but mostly it is water changes, add ferts and maybe change the filter floss. This takes me about 15 minutes each week.

I do not use any special substrate and I have used Tropica fertilizers now for over 21 years. These tanks basically take care of themselves. The "secret" is that the planting is heavy and the stocking is light.

I an 75 years old ans have 20 tanks. It has become too much for me and I am selling a lot of the tanks and inhabitants. I am trying to figure out how I can keep my favorite tank- a 150 gal with my clown loaches. I do not think it is possible. My plan is to keep a smaller tank or two just to keep myself in the hobby for a bit longer. Small well planted tanks are pretty easy to care for mostly. So I sympathize with your situation. Fish keeping can be hard to give up.

edited to fix typos

Last edited:
Hi Craig, sorry to hear you've had to give up your tank, I think most tanks are quite similar in ability to keep but the more water to change and lug around means they are harder to deal with so a smaller tank could be the answer!

Would something like a python system work to help you with water changes? Its just a case of getting the pipes in place and screwed to your tap which lets you empty and fill the tank direct from the sink through a hose.

In terms of how to set up a low maintenance tank, I'd go for something around 100 litres as mentioned above and I'd go for a lightly stocked tank with fish with personality. Dwarf Puffers might be a good option to go for or potentially some kind of Target or Potato Puffer if you are ok with just one fish in the tank. Set the tank up with a lot of slow growing plants like crypts, anubias and ferns so you dont have to constantly trim stems and I'd recommend growing house plants from the surface to help take up nitrates which will give you flexibility on a water change regime.

Wills
Great ideas there, thanks. Never kept pufferfish, I’d like to.

Small planted tanks can be quite nice and easy to manage. I have kept an assortment of planted tanks for over 20 years. I never vacuum the substrate. I may vacuum the plants and decor if they have junk accumulated on their surface. But usually my maint. involves a water change, maybe a media rinse and then any ferts get added with the refill. It takes me about 5 minutes to do weekly maint on my 5.5 gal. (about 21L). I am down to my final two pearl danios and the red cherry shrimp. That shrimp colony has been self sustaining in that tank vfor at leat a dozen years even as the fish in the tank have been changed.

I have a 15 gal with enough plants in it for at 30 gal. or bigger. It holds 6 white cloud mountain minnows, a bunch of blue velevet shrimp and a few amano shrimp. I do vac this tank every few months but mostly it is water changes, add ferts and maybe change the filter floss. This takes me about 15 minutes each week.

I do not use any special substrate and I have used Tropica fertilizers now for over 21 years. These tanks basically take care of themselves. The "secret" is that the planting is heavy and the stocking is light.

I an 75 years old ans have 20 tanks. It has become too much for me and I am selling a lot of the tanks and inhabitants. I am trying to figure out how I can keep my favorite tank- a 150 gal with my clown loaches. I do not think it is possible. My plan is to keep a smaller tank or two just to keep myself in the hobby for a bit longer. Small well planted tanks are pretty easy to care for mostly. So I sympathize with your situation. Fish keeping can be hard to give up.
Thank you so much. I hope you get to keep enjoying your hobby

Wills
Water changes are relatively easy for me - tube out the back door to the drain & hose pipe through the window to fill it back up. It was all the cleaning involved, my fish weren’t being properly looked after & it made me feel awful.
Houseplants is a fantastic idea & I’ve always thought they looked great in a setup.
I’m going to do some studying on puffer fish. Thanks

Water changes are relatively easy for me - tube out the back door to the drain & hose pipe through the window to fill it back up. It was all the cleaning involved, my fish weren’t being properly looked after & it made me feel awful.
Houseplants is a fantastic idea & I’ve always thought they looked great in a setup.
I’m going to do some studying on puffer fish. Thanks
This is a great resource for puffers https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldwide.com seriouslyfish.com is also a great site for profiles and info.

Is it just the amount of physical work on a big tank or is it any issues with reaching in etc? I don't want to pry too much just get an idea of what to recommend.

Thanks. It’s okay, I don’t mind. It’s literally the physical effort that’s too much; my balance is bad too so going on a step ladder for cleaning was never a good idea.

Ah ok that makes sense so yeah I think what we've said so far could be a good route - maybe even go for a rimless tank with a jump guard on so you can access the tank from all angles. I have an Aquascaper 600 and I'm just under 6 foot and I can comfortably reach the back standing at the front.

Here is another good puffer resource. https://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/

There is a lot of good infor there of a general nature as well. A loy of is is written by RTR Robert T . Rickets. When I was entering the hobbdy he participated on a site with chat where z had joined. I learned a lot from him. He was a legend in the hobby at the time I got my first tank in early 2001.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back