I’m About To Scream!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maybe its just a really bad ick out break.

Are you preforming the treatments @Colin_T suggested?

I wouldn’t say one spot on a few fish is a really bad ich outbreak. Just a stubborn one.

If it is white spot, it should have been wiped out by now, assuming you used the correct dose of medication.

There were strains of white spot that could tolerate heat and Malachite Green but they aren't very common and normally heat will kill it. You might have a resistant strain, in which case you can either use Copper or move the fish to a different container each day for a week or two.

There are also strains that can remain dormant in aquariums without fish. If this happens you need to add a small amount of water from an aquarium with fish in, to the tank with no fish that has white spot. Do this each day for a week. The white spot parasites sense the fish chemicals in the water and come out of dormancy, and start looking for a host. But because there are no host fish in the tank, they then die off.

My problem is I have no place to put 40 neons plus 17 cories. All of my other tanks are in use. My QT is holding 18 neons waiting to go to community tank. @Colin_T, should I put the fish in buckets and completely break the tank down and start over? I can disinfect the tank with bleach but what would I do with the plants? Would that even help if a couple of fish still have cysts? On top of this, I’m sick today. Should I move the cories to a small plastic bin that I have and treat tetras with Copper Safe? I heard it’s hard to get out of tank afterwards though. I have to order it for tomorrow arrival. Which would be best. I can’t keep doing what I’m doing,

There's no point moving the Corydoras out because they will have it too.

You either treat the whole tank with fish in, or move all the fish into a large plastic storage container and swap them into a clean container each day. Plastic storage containers are easier to clean and don't break down if you use bleach. Silicon does break down when exposed to bleach.

Copper can be diluted out with 4 or 5 big water changes and gravel cleans. If you are really concerned, add some carbon after you have done those water changes.

If you do use Copper, do a couple of big water changes and gravel cleans before adding Copper, so you dilute any Malachite Green.

The copper idea just honestly scares me with the cories. How can I still be getting cysts after 10 days of treatment? You’d think the cycle had been killed by now.

How can I still be getting cysts after 10 days of treatment? You’d think the cycle had been killed by now.
You either have a drug resistant form of white spot or you didn't add enough medication.

If you have concerns about copper and Cories, use the separate tank to treatment instead or look for some Praziquantel and try that.

You either have a drug resistant form of white spot or you didn't add enough medication.

If you have concerns about copper and Cories, use the separate tank to treatment instead or look for some Praziquantel and try that.
I did medication according to bottle. I didn’t even split the dose for cories. If this had only been the lottery. Lucky me!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back