I’m About To Scream!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The safe level for treatment (only) is 2 g of salt per liter, and 1 level tsp is 6 g for 3 liters, and 3 liters is roughly 1.5 US gallons. For 5 gallons of tank water, it would be 6 level tsp. This is going to be about four times more than you used. But check my conversion math, this is not a strong point for me.
I get confused with conversions. Good to know I have some room if need to increase but things looking better with salt. :)

Last edited:
Well, corydoras are catfish which are scaleless, which means they are very sensitive to copper. Honestly, if there is still ich because ich can survive even with the harshest chemicals, I would completely empty all of the water out of the tank, remove the gravel, get new gravel, and replace everything but the filter pads. Ich likes to hide in the gravel especially.
This a 55G tank that I just set up last month. I think I’ll stick to standard treatment but thank you so much. Besides, if I kept the filter pads I would still risk the chance of introducing the parasite back into the tank. The pads would have to be completely dried out to kill any ich on them and then you lose your bb anyway. :)

Salt does not kill white spot (Ichthyophirius). White spot is found in fresh, brackish and salt water aquariums.

Salt will kill some external parasites like Costia, Chilodonella and Trichodina.

-------------------
The parasites fall off the fish after a couple of days so even tho the fish don't have as many spots now, it doesn't mean they are free of the disease. It simply means the parasites have moved into the next stage of their lifecycle, where they divide inside their white spot cyst that is sitting on the bottom of the tank. In a couple of days the cyst will open and release hundreds of new parasites into the water.

-------------------
White spot can find fish in the dark, just like velvet parasites can. They pick up on chemicals, carbon dioxide and movement coming from the fish. And when you have thousands of parasites in the water, some of them are bound to come across a fish.

-------------------
You could try Praziquantel (tapeworm treatment for dogs, cats and fish). One of the shops I knew claimed they used Praziquantel on tanks with white spot and it cured the problem. I can't guarantee it will work because I didn't do treatment, but I do trust the people who did it.

Praziquantel is safe and won't harm the fish. It remains in the water for a few days so you would have to do a big water change after a couple of days and re-treat the tank.

Salt does not kill white spot (Ichthyophirius). White spot is found in fresh, brackish and salt water aquariums.

Salt will kill some external parasites like Costia, Chilodonella and Trichodina.

-------------------
The parasites fall off the fish after a couple of days so even tho the fish don't have as many spots now, it doesn't mean they are free of the disease. It simply means the parasites have moved into the next stage of their lifecycle, where they divide inside their white spot cyst that is sitting on the bottom of the tank. In a couple of days the cyst will open and release hundreds of new parasites into the water.

-------------------
White spot can find fish in the dark, just like velvet parasites can. They pick up on chemicals, carbon dioxide and movement coming from the fish. And when you have thousands of parasites in the water, some of them are bound to come across a fish.

-------------------
You could try Praziquantel (tapeworm treatment for dogs, cats and fish). One of the shops I knew claimed they used Praziquantel on tanks with white spot and it cured the problem. I can't guarantee it will work because I didn't do treatment, but I do trust the people who did it.

Praziquantel is safe and won't harm the fish. It remains in the water for a few days so you would have to do a big water change after a couple of days and re-treat the tank.
I think I’ve heard of that too. Interesting and thanks!

OK. Nothing is working. I am now treating with Ich-X, 86F, and aquarium salt. Story still the same. I know some will say I’m going to kill my fish with this witches brew but I’m desperate. They are all going to die anyway if I can’t get rid of this ch. Ready to throw in the dang towel. I spent a small fortune on this tank. What a waste of money! Just want to cry. My poor cories and neons. The tank was looking beautiful. What else could it be? Been treating with Ich-X for 7 days. I need to stop the meds. Too long now. One white spot on 4 or 5 tetras out of 40. Anything else cause white bumps? Everyone still eating well right now. What can it be??? :(
P.S.- Posted pic. Excuse bubbles everywhere. Spot is right behind dorsal fin. I’m so tired. I know you guys are sick of hearing about this.
965C106E-278A-47DD-A4BB-430F9A507975.jpeg

Last edited:
There is no other disease that causes white spots like those, to my knowledge... (Expect maybe a funky fungal infection. But fungal infections are usually in a large, concentrated area)

I'm sorry that must be super frustrating

Are the spots dropping off the neons or are they still in the same place?

I thought I understood the ich cycle. Can someone explain how I am still waking up to Ich parasites 10 days into treatment? Always 1 spot only on a fish. Last night I had no parasites when I went to bed on any fish. Woke up to 3 fish with one each this morning. Shouldn’t the cycle be broken by now. Maybe I missed something in Ich-101. Can someone explain how I’m still getting new cysts? Please! @Byron . @Colin_T. @essjay

It may not be ich. I will leave that for Colin who has more knowledge/experience with fish ailments than I (fortunately) have.

Yes... as I said it may be a weird fungal infection. But I'm not 100% sure.

It’s not fungal. The med I’m using treats ich, fungal, and velvet. Doesn’t look fungal either.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back