Ideal conditions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Ideal conditions for an aquarium are a holy grail, and an impossible dream. But you can get close.

Whatever water you have is your current ideal. If you want better, you may have to move....
Get an analysis, or do one with a proper test kit (The API master test kit is too limited). Know your hardness and pH. Then hit the books, or reliable online sites like Seriously Fish or fishbase, and look for species that come from very similar conditions. Success is not in technology, but in knowledge.

It's a myth that captive bred fish don't care about water - they have not adapted that quickly or conveniently, although a lot of people say it. Some fish come into the hobby as generalists who adapt to most water, and myths have grown from that.

It takes a little self discipline to avoid buying soon to be unhappy fish. But the info's good if you look for it, and if you do regular water changes on a weekly basis, ideal can be in range.

I think most people go into the hobby, not knowing the specifics of their water, & assuming that their water is acceptable for most fish...

... & there are a lot of fish, that their conditions change pretty regularly with flood plains & droughts... but there are also lots of lake fish whose conditions rarely change... so not all fish can accept changes, & not all fish would necessarily die if the water wasn't like their normal... just depends on the water & the fish...

I've been in fish tanks for a long time all together, & I assumed the soft water for the whole house softener... learned a lot this last year... our water situation was bad enough. I just installed an RO, so with additives I can attempt to make idea conditions for each tank...

I think most people go into the hobby, not knowing the specifics of their water, & assuming that their water is acceptable for most fish...

... & there are a lot of fish, that their conditions change pretty regularly with flood plains & droughts... but there are also lots of lake fish whose conditions rarely change... so not all fish can accept changes, & not all fish would necessarily die if the water wasn't like their normal... just depends on the water & the fish...

I've been in fish tanks for a long time all together, & I assumed the soft water for the whole house softener... learned a lot this last year... our water situation was bad enough. I just installed an RO, so with additives I can attempt to make idea conditions for each tank...
Most fish stores don't really care and will sell hard water fish right along with soft water fish. So people will see that and just assume water is water.

I was in a store last week and as I walked to the checkout to pay the store worker was in conversation with another couple of customers. She was explaining to them that as they were local to the store, they would have soft water so guppies would not last long. They asked about mollies and she told them they are hard water fish which wouldn't last long either, that they were better looking at tetras. At this point, the couple said 'the other shop didn't say anything about this when we bought them'.
I have to admit being pleasantly surprised that someone working in a fish store actually knew what hardness was, let alone which fish suited which water.

(Horizon Aquatics, Newton Aycliffe)

Equally I'm lucky to have hard water :) I spent faaarr too long fighting against it and I've noticed a difference in the years since I started focusing on it I've had longer lived fish, healthier fish and just feel more at peace about it generally :)

And I say I'm lucky to have hard water because it means I get simple access to Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, huge swathes of Central America and some Asian biotopes as well.

Wills

When I had hardwater, I had fantastic mollies. Now I have soft, and I enjoy my killies. We adapt.

The best water tests are online municipal water reports. If you are out in the woods, you can buy add on tests for API or the other systems that let you test hardness, GH and KH. That should be part of any "master" test kit as there is so much more to this than ammonia and pH, but the side kits are easy to use.

Equally I'm lucky to have hard water :) I spent faaarr too long fighting against it and I've noticed a difference in the years since I started focusing on it I've had longer lived fish, healthier fish and just feel more at peace about it generally :)

And I say I'm lucky to have hard water because it means I get simple access to Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, huge swathes of Central America and some Asian biotopes as well.

Wills
I'm happy with my options but I am jealous of people who can have African cichlids.

That kit is fine for new starters who need to make sure there's no ammonia/nitrite in the tank. But apart from pH it doesn't include testers for water parameters. It's a pity they don't include GH in the master set, but many of us can get that info from our water providers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back