The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have white cloud minnows though, and they are a cold water fish so I’m unsure what to do
How cold is the water?
If the temperature is above 22C (72F) then take it up to 30C (86F) and use heat. If the temperature is below 22C, use a liquid medication but work out the correct volume of water in the tank as described in post #10.

I could not disagree with @Rocky998 more, as good a fishkeeper as he is. Do not stop the meds. You chose a path (the best one) and now you need to follow it. I've beaten Ich more times than you want to imagine, and using malachite green or methelyne blue is the best method.
There are heat resistant Ich forms, there are parasites that look like Ich but aren't, and salt is as much a chemical as a medicinal dye. The dyes are easier to get out later. There's a myth it's more natural, but that's just a myth. Found in nature and found where your fish originated are different things.

When we are new to aquariums, we often miss the early warning signs. Ich gets a solid foothold, and can get into the gills of its hosts. The parasite can't be killed until the white cyst bursts and the parasites swim out looking for new victims. Salt makes it hard for them to burrow in as it irritates the skin of the fish and makes it produce more slime. Heat accelerates the life the life cycle of the parasite, weakening it. Dyes make it unable to reproduce. Take your pick.

The parasite kills, which is why we react so strongly to it. If you put 3 aquarists in a room, you'll have 19 opinions on every subject, so bear with us. But I would stay the course, make sure you didn't overdose and follow the instructions on the med. You may lose fish for certain. Ich running loose is nasty.

Don't bother with salt, it does nothing to white spot. The heat is safer than medications and all tropical fishes can tolerate it for a couple of weeks.
Ok, but doesn't the salt HELP kill off the ich when it's in the tank? I thought you even said that before? Maybe I'm wrong?

Have you been using salt on your tank?
I will use it whenever my fish get a wound I feel needs care... Or if there is a disease that salt can treat. (Luckily I have had no diseases YET)

I could not disagree with @Rocky998 more, as good a fishkeeper as he is. Do not stop the meds. You chose a path (the best one) and now you need to follow it. I've beaten Ich more times than you want to imagine, and using malachite green or methelyne blue is the best method.
There are heat resistant Ich forms, there are parasites that look like Ich but aren't, and salt is as much a chemical as a medicinal dye. The dyes are easier to get out later. There's a myth it's more natural, but that's just a myth. Found in nature and found where your fish originated are different things.

When we are new to aquariums, we often miss the early warning signs. Ich gets a solid foothold, and can get into the gills of its hosts. The parasite can't be killed until the white cyst bursts and the parasites swim out looking for new victims. Salt makes it hard for them to burrow in as it irritates the skin of the fish and makes it produce more slime. Heat accelerates the life the life cycle of the parasite, weakening it. Dyes make it unable to reproduce. Take your pick.

The parasite kills, which is why we react so strongly to it. If you put 3 aquarists in a room, you'll have 19 opinions on every subject, so bear with us. But I would stay the course, make sure you didn't overdose and follow the instructions on the med. You may lose fish for certain. Ich running loose is nasty.
This is true. And I have heard those PARTICULAR meds are good, BUT he/she was using something called "ich clear" which I have never heard of and I wasn't sure how strong that med was...

@Redtailedshark, I would listen to the advice from others here...
But do keep in mind, most medications can be very rough and they are unregulated sense it's for fish and not for humans. So SOME are very risky to use.
But the meds @GaryE mentioned are usually really good for these things.

The one you're using plays the secret ingredient game, but the instructions are what is done with the good products. I imagine since they sell fizzing tabs as a gimmick, they want to protect their secrets. But it isn't herbal, and it isn't copper, and since you already started it, stay the course.

Ok, but doesn't the salt HELP kill off the ich when it's in the tank? I thought you even said that before? Maybe I'm wrong?
Colin has said many times that salt doesn't kill ich. Marine fish live in salty water and they can still catch ich. What salt can do is prevent the wound left when the parasite drops off becoming infected.

Colin has said many times that salt doesn't kill ich. Marine fish live in salty water and they can still catch ich. What salt can do is prevent the wound left when the parasite drops off becoming infected.
I thought saltwater ich was a different species... That's why I didn't think much of it

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back