Ich Killed My Pleco, Killing My Guppy And Plants!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Please help me. I have an emergency, I had a pleco and a guppy because I am cycling my 20G long tank. Long story short they both have ICH, I put them in a 5 gallon quarantine and the pleco died and the guppy I think will die. I'm not too worried about the fish, they are both doing REALLY bad. I tried my best to keep them alive but I didn't even know things like ICH can happen to these fish and kill them.

I have a planted tank with lots of plants, water wisteria, staurogyne repens, anubias nana, windelov java fern, I have a lot of plants and I don't want to kill those to get rid of the ICH that is in the tank currently. There are no fish in the tank, and I have turned my 150w heater up to 86. I also added  A LOT of freshwater salt to help kill it off but now I wish I didn't do that because everyone is saying that it kills plants.

IS THIS TRUE?? DOES IT KILL PLANTS?? Please tell me and tell me how I can keep my plants alive. I plan on doing a 50% water change tomorrow as I think that should clear out all the salt. 
Please help me I spent a lot of money on my plants.

I would change all the water now (don't forget to switch your heater and filter off first!); salt will kill plants, and ich/whitespot will die off if there are no fish in the tank for a couple of weeks.

Hopefully next time you'll do a fishless cycle on your tank; we can help you with that here.

I got Ick guard by tetra tablets and National Geographic Herbal ich relief. Which one should I use? Do these kill plants? Should I turn off my lights, heater, filter, etc? Thanks

If there are no fish in the tank and the heater is at 86F, ICK cannot survive.   ICK requires an animal host to reproduce.   Without fish it cannot reproduce.  The heat will also accelerate the like cycle of ICK.  It should die off rather quickly.  There is no need for salt in an aquarium without fish.

I've replied on your other thread. I'll close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back