I Want To Get Gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

comocrayfish5

Fish Addict
Reaction score
so i might be switching tank with my friend and i will get her 10 gal. i really want to put a few dwarf gouramis in there. i have only had goldfish, livebearers, neon tetras, and bettas. on the little info sheet in the lfs it said that the powder blue (and another dwarf gourami i cant remember the name of) will be fine in a 10gal. i just want to know how many i can put in by themselves and if only a few, what tank mates i can get. i know they are disease prone but i want to know more info. what would stocking look like for my 10gal? what do your gourami tanks look like?

these are the two kind i was looking at. if other tank mates are in your stocking plan for me, then i am limited to the fish at Petsmart :)

dwarf_gour_male_100721b3_w0480.jpg

20120529031407%21Powder_Blue_Dwarf_Gourami.jpg

Well, these guys do grow. They would both outgrow your ten gallon. I don't think they would work well for this size. PetsMart has a habit of labeling their fish for smaller tanks. They can sell them more easily that way. Gourami species are best suited for larger tanks.

20 gal should be better because they are fish that progressively grow. More likely that they will do better in a 20 gal :)

You could get a pair of Honey Gourami's, they are smaller and more peaceful. They are also not carrying the Iridovirus which Dwarf Gourami's are. Tank mates, I would get something agile for if the Honey's breed like a small Rainbowfish. Threadfin Rainbowfish - Iriatherina Werneri - would be good in your tank. I'd say something like this;

2x Honey Gouramis - Male and female or 2 females.
6-8x Threadfin Rainbowfish
6-8 Corydoras Hastatus - Dwarf Cory, Tail Spot Cory.

:)

TallTree01 said:
Threading rainbows??? No. They need a 20 gallon tank.

I have Threadfin Rainbows in a 30" tank... I've also kept and bred them in a 2ft tank before so 12 gallons. They do not need a 20 gallon tank.

An aquarium with the dimensions of 60cmx30cm should be the minimum considered.
Quote from Seriouslyfish.

They should not be kept in an aquarium of less than 60cm(55 litres) long.
Quote from rainbowfish.angfaqld.org

TallTree01 said:
Just because fish breed doesn't mean they are doing well/ thriving. Guppies will breed no matter the conditions they are kept in. Bettas bubble nests are also commonly interpreted to be a sign of health and well being even if theyre treated like dirt. Here's a link on the r care of threadfin rainbow fish:
http://www.talkfishy.com/resources/fish-photos/rainbowfish/499-threadfin-rainbowfish

You link one site, I give two quotes and I can find more. Also, ask my partner... He bought me the Threadfins and if he didn't think they'd be fine in my tank he wouldn't have spent £22 on six of them. Trust me, they do not need a 20 gallon tank. Sites also say they need RO water and are finicky and hard to feed because of their small mouths... Mine readily take bloodworm and flake easily and my tank had got to be the most unstable mature tank ever since I only do water changes when I remember which could be anywhere from twice a week to once a month and they are always only 3 gallons of water out of a 19 gallon tank...

I will add that I've only just taken the time to actually find out how many gallons my tank is and I'm sure 19 gallons is close enough to 20 gallons to be acceptable. Now you can't say I'm not keeping them correctly since the tank is 1 measly gallon off 20 gallons. They are living with 6 Sparkling Gourami's, 2 female Guppies, 3 Shadow Catfish and multiple baby Guppies. I'm upping the numbers to about 15-20 soon but at £22 for six I can't afford to get them all at once.

Alright, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable on them so I'll step down...... This time. I've had a good look on the Internet and have found that about 90% of sites say 10-15 gallons is the minimum tank size. I thought you meant you were still keeping them in a 12 gallon, which I think we can agree on is a tad small for threadfins. I trust that if you are going to up the numbers to 20 you'll be upgrading the tank to accommodate the bioload.

@Paradise other than your stocking suggestion would overstock a 10 gal. Your quote from the rainbowfish website mentions at tank of no less than 60cm. That is just shy of 24inches. As a 10gal. is 20 inches, oops too small.

The interweb is full of conversion charts, metric to standard/standard to metric. Try one out some time.

As to asking your partner, what is this person's expertise? Other than opinion and spending £22.

As for trusting you, 3,000+ posts does not make you an expert. And if you go back and read the original post as to fish had in the past, not much tropical experience.

On a side note, being familiar with petsmart of the fish suggested, doubt you'll even find sparkling gouramis.

frapadoodle said:
@Paradise other than your stocking suggestion would overstock a 10 gal. Your quote from the rainbowfish website mentions at tank of no less than 60cm. That is just shy of 24inches. As a 10gal. is 20 inches, oops too small.

The interweb is full of conversion charts, metric to standard/standard to metric. Try one out some time.

As to asking your partner, what is this person's expertise? Other than opinion and spending £22.

As for trusting you, 3,000+ posts does not make you an expert. And if you go back and read the original post as to fish had in the past, not much tropical experience.

On a side note, being familiar with petsmart of the fish suggested, doubt you'll even find sparkling gouramis.

Being in the UK sparkling gourami's are easy to find and I've had them before. I never said I knew every thing or that I was an expert. I'd like to see you say not much tropical experience if I gave you a run down of every fish I've kept from livebearers - puffers - cichlids. I just said that rainbows do not need a 20 gallon tank. Also, 10 gallon doesn't have to be 20" long, that's why I work with the size of the tank rather than how much it holds. You could have a 10 gallon tank that's 2ft tall but only 1ft long. So really, the 10 gallon can be 24" long. I do work with the charts thank you very much. My partner works in one of the best aquatic stores and has done for 8 years. An aquatic store that has a policy of "Not cycled? No fish." and a few others like "Not a suitable tank? No fish" I asked him if I was alright having a male sailfin molly having kept one before to test this and he said "In your size tank? No. A 6" fish in a 30" long tank is ridiculous!" Fair to say he passed the test. Also, it would not overstock the tank if they only got 6 of the rainbows & corys. I've had threadfins before, bred them and then sold them. I've now got threadfins again and if you want to say they are not happy then come see me in the UK and you can tell me if the, so far, 6 of them are unhappy when they are coloured up and displaying to each other.

@Tall tree: Threadfins hardly add to the bioload and the filteration I have on the tank gives me room to "overstock" slightly. I was thinking of aiming more for about 12-15 rather than 20 as I agree that 20 would be a bit much in a 19 gallon tank.

@paradise, touched nerve did we? One check original posting, Mass. USA.
As you don't seem to have petsmart, go to your partners fishhouse.
And by the way, the UK stopped being the center of the universe a couple hunndred years ago.

frapadoodle said:
@paradise, touched nerve did we? One check original posting, Mass. USA.
As you don't seem to have petsmart, go to your partners fishhouse.
And by the way, the UK stopped being the center of the universe a couple hunndred years ago.

I'm not saying any of this. And yes the original poster isn't in the UK but when did I suggest they get Sparkling Gourami's? I'd like to see you point it out. And it's not a fish house. It's an actual shop. No nerves touched, I was responding in a completely civil way. How you took it, I do not know. The UK isn't the centre of the universe but neither is the USA.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back