I think my betta fish has fin rot

JackieP

New Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2020
Messages
31
Reaction score
19
Points
8
Location
Florida
Her fins really just look bad to me. They’ve darkened and it looks like they’re becoming smaller. I think she actually just had dropsy which is now better because of the epsom salt baths. I know dropsy is just a symptom of a disease. Let me know what you think.
 

Attachments

  • 3D570781-9D0C-4BC0-B82E-81B228B04341.webp
    3D570781-9D0C-4BC0-B82E-81B228B04341.webp
    237.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 183D3383-5377-4026-9A92-CB372BAB0998.webp
    183D3383-5377-4026-9A92-CB372BAB0998.webp
    216 KB · Views: 188
  • 81240EC5-4E5E-434F-A211-F4F64EC5D441.webp
    81240EC5-4E5E-434F-A211-F4F64EC5D441.webp
    226 KB · Views: 167
  • F4673A62-D33A-4C6E-A2DC-885B809512FB.webp
    F4673A62-D33A-4C6E-A2DC-885B809512FB.webp
    233.4 KB · Views: 201
  • AB2BEDE7-6997-45DE-BFCB-D763A0C1E5AB.webp
    AB2BEDE7-6997-45DE-BFCB-D763A0C1E5AB.webp
    180 KB · Views: 215
  • 6A9DCB1F-D568-40D0-89D3-3E949A457469.webp
    6A9DCB1F-D568-40D0-89D3-3E949A457469.webp
    170.4 KB · Views: 176
Are the pictures above before the fin rot?

This disease forms due to poor water quality and affects the fins. Bettas that have had recent injuries to the fins are the most at risk to develop fin rot. Fin rot can be treated easily. 75%+ daily water changes per day, for a week usually clears up fin rot. Added aquarium salt can also reduce the chance of infection. The same treatment above can help solve a few of the common injuries including missing scales and torn fins. Weekly water changes after the fin rot has disappeared will help prevent this in the future.
 
Are the pictures above before the fin rot?

This disease forms due to poor water quality and affects the fins. Bettas that have had recent injuries to the fins are the most at risk to develop fin rot. Fin rot can be treated easily. 75%+ daily water changes per day, for a week usually clears up fin rot. Added aquarium salt can also reduce the chance of infection. The same treatment above can help solve a few of the common injuries including missing scales and torn fins. Weekly water changes after the fin rot has disappeared will help prevent this in the future.
I just took these pictures this morning. Her fins have been looking torn for a while. I’ve done daily water changes for a week and that hasn’t changed anything about her fins. She’s acting fine I just feel like her fins are starting to look worse.
 
The first pictures actually look pretty good. Any pictures before you started water changes?
 
Well this is what her fins looked like when I first got her 6 months ago. She had torn her fin a month after I got her which was my fault. I always kept the water clean but her fins have never looked the same since then. I check the ammonia and nitrates and nitrates every couple weeks. Everything’s normal and I do water changes twice a week. Maybe it’s just in my head but I was feeling like her fins used to look healthier. There shouldn’t be anything in her tank that would tear her fins anymore. I think the dropsy was very stressful I just want to make sure nothing else is wrong.
 

Attachments

  • B952C240-39F8-4EF6-9C71-7FD6131BE36F.webp
    B952C240-39F8-4EF6-9C71-7FD6131BE36F.webp
    198.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 9BAAF04B-250D-410A-B7D3-8B62AF68925B.webp
    9BAAF04B-250D-410A-B7D3-8B62AF68925B.webp
    139.1 KB · Views: 188
  • F49687B8-0122-4F07-AF69-CDE3E9451DD8.webp
    F49687B8-0122-4F07-AF69-CDE3E9451DD8.webp
    137.3 KB · Views: 206
It may look bad, but I don’t actually see fin rot. I see new fin growth. Her fins now actually look rather healthy.

Once a Betta has fin rot, you are never going to get their fins looking exactly the way they were, when you got him/her.
 
It may look bad, but I don’t actually see fin rot. I see new fin growth. Her fins now actually look rather healthy.

Once a Betta has fin rot, you are never going to get their fins looking exactly the way they were, when you got him/her.
Okay great thank you for replying ?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top