I Have Evil Shrimp!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lozronz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey Hey would love some suggestions,
About 3 months ago I decided that I needed some extra scavengers in my tank as it extremely heavily planted and could get a little algied up (real word, I made it up). I did a little research into shrimp although obviously not enough. Most sites said- put with small fish, very shy, need hiding places e.t.c

I found some red clawed shrimp about an inch long. i was a little worried for their heath as I have a knifefish which is partial to chopped shrimp. but figured that there was loads of hiding places and it is a 4ft tank I bought 5.

For a month everything lived in harmony but they grew really fast and didn't seem fussed on hiding at all. I started noticing fish going missing, then came down to find a shrimp polishing off an angel fish twice his size.

I've since found them dropping off plants and killling and eating fish, I thought they were predominantly scavengers but they are the most vorocious predators I have ever kept!

In the time it took me to buy and set up a new tank (about 4 days) they ate a giant cory, a three inch tooth carp, one of themselves, a fairly large gorami and a ghost knife fish.

They are now probably 3.5 inches (except one which has stayed about an inch- female?) brown with kind of horizontal tiger stripes, very thick set with big black claws and getting bigger by the day. Does this sound like Red-clawed shrimp?

I put the remaining fish in the new tank but left two largish Pim catfish and a 5" African Knifefish in the tank as they all seem to have a begrudged respect for each other.

Despite how evil they are, how the largest will even have a pop at my hand if im weeding and how my girlfriend will no longer go in the kitchen for fear of them. I find them fascinating and the plants now look awsome. I want to keep them.

Can anyone tell me from the description whether they are Red clawed shrimp and could anyone suggest fish that maybe suitable to live with them- big enough without being a threat to them (although I think that just rules out Hammerheads at this point)

Cheers

Cheers Man!

Interesting little site, They do look kind of like that but thicker set bodies, black claws and more defined patterning. I got them from a garden centre on the motorway halfway between Swindon and Chippenham. Can't remember the name, will have a look for you next time I go past.

From what that site says it sounds like I might have 3 males and a female so I will give you a shout if I have any joy breeding them. I did once see a wierd litle white sac type thing in the tank that they were eating perhaps that was eggs, if another turns up i will try to rescue it before it gets comsumed.

Hey, to carry on this thread by myself a bit but the shrimp have kinda gone blue! does anyone know if they do this?

Two of them have red brown claws still but the massive two now have dark blue HUGE claws and blue tinted tails. I did have a bit of a problem with my heater a week back and the temp went u and up (i'm too embarrassed to say by how much but there wasnt a great deal of room left on the themometer strip).

Everything survived but could that cause the colour change?

Just incase anyone thinks i'm particularily stupid- no, they are definately not fresh water blue lobster!

Cheers

LOL.. what you have is a variety of Long Arm Shrimp..
They can get to 10cms long, and the males tend to be aggressive.
I bought 3 2 months ago from Pets At Home.. They were sold as fresh water shrimp and were about 4 cms long. 2 months later all 3 have molted and are now doing there best to eat my fish :(.
PIc of one of the little demons up on his wood pole doing a bit of fishing below...
fishingshrimp.jpg

sideshrimp.jpg

At first you never saw them, then they moulted, grew 50% and now they are chasing the fish round the tank like mad things :crazy: . I have a 5' 90g tank so the fish have plenty of soon to get away. Ive seen them grad one of my young plecs by the tail, so I poked it with my tongs and he let go :blink:
Ive not noticed any fish going missing, but alot of my guppies seem to have nibbled tails :no:
Biggest worry with these guys is they sneak up on fish when they are sleeping, thats when they do the damage. My fish have got wise to them now and almost taunt them..lol swiming close but not close enough to get caught. The shrimp makes and grab and always misses..lol

Mine changed colour too after they moulted, I have one thats mainly blue, the one you see on his fishing pole, and another is clear and very stripy.. sideways picture. The third is a mixture of the two.

Nikki

Thank F%&K! someone knows them! Thankyou so much, yup thats definately them... 10cms... Awsome!

What do you keep with them? Honestly mine are like little assasins, when they can't catch fish they pull each others claws off, they are constantly having to regrow limbs. I have found them shedding loads they must all done it two or three times.

One has not grown at all, female? looks like your bottom pic.

Questions, questions questions, please let me know any stuff you have found out about them, I find them fascinating.

I would be careful with your tank, I put in two large tiger barbs the other day, I was pretty sure witth them being fast, big and aggressive they would be cool, they took the first in under an hour, i took the other back to the shop, head in hands.

Did yours cut their own orange nose things off? Mine seem to be into self-sculping! Although I have a tattoo so I'm not judging them!

Thank F%&K! someone knows them! Thankyou so much, yup thats definately them... 10cms... Awsome!

What do you keep with them? Honestly mine are like little assasins, when they can't catch fish they pull each others claws off, they are constantly having to regrow limbs. I have found them shedding loads they must all done it two or three times.

One has not grown at all, female? looks like your bottom pic.

Questions, questions questions, please let me know any stuff you have found out about them, I find them fascinating.

I would be careful with your tank, I put in two large tiger barbs the other day, I was pretty sure witth them being fast, big and aggressive they would be cool, they took the first in under an hour, i took the other back to the shop, head in hands.

Did yours cut their own orange nose things off? Mine seem to be into self-sculping! Although I have a tattoo so I'm not judging them!
ROFPMSL :lol:

Well after seeing your thread this evening i got a little suspicious of my own little darlings, so Ive spent the last few hours watching them. To be honest mine only seem to nip if something comes too close to them, they like to get up high and if anything gets too close again the claws come out :hey: . My tank if full of bogwood and valis etc so they tend to get tangles in the stuff..lol They seem very clumsy and from what i have seen, would only catch something if it was dying anyway. They seem to enjoy sorting through the gravel looking for left overs and dead things :sick:
I think the reason you are having so much trouble with yours is due to the amount you have. I have 3 in a 5' tank and i think thats puching it 2 would be better.
The females are smaller in size, but the most obvious thing is the claw size, the bottom pic is my female. the other 2 are deff males.
Males are known to be very aggressive, short tempered etc. but as for self mutilation..lol no mine have all body parts intact :sly: . One arrived with only one claw but that has grown back now.
Yours sound like they are really stresed to behave like that, and I would put that down to space etc.
et rid of a few :huh: .. it may sort the aggression problem for you.
As for eating your fish :blink: .. i dont know what to say, mine dont seem quick enough to catch a cold..lol let alone fish, and they seem to tolerate each other and the other fish well.

Awsome! now I have a name when I google them, I actually get something that resembles my shrimp! And not advice like "These timid little creatures will rarely be seen, many hiding places should be provided, for these fragile little beings or else they may fall prey to your fish" All the while I'm reading, I can feel their eyes burning into my back from ontop of their bogwood, as they decide whether or not they can take me down next time I put my hand in the tank, whilst chowing down on my 7" Gibbicep.

O.k that is perhaps a smidge of a hyperbole, but not far off.

I also was sold these under a different name, 'Ghost shrimp', however the YTS girl also told me that she thought the large syndontis in the corner tank was a type of dolphin (Hand on heart, honest) so I probably should have suspected something earlier.

You might be right about the amount in my tank, three males and a female is probably the wrong way around for these bad boys, but Ill be damned if I'm putting one in any of my other tanks... Ill have a think, I'm reluctant to get rid of any of them. My friend did offer me an ex display tank from a Maidenhead Aquatics, 6,2,2ft. I didn't fancy trying to convince my housemate but at that size I could free up two of my other tanks, any excuse for another tank!

Hey, have you tried feeding them by hand? they get the hang of it really quickly. Apparently they are really intelligent and tests have been done to see if they can remember how to get food in wierd and wonderful ways, like opening a lid or going through a maze, but if you stop doing it, they will starve themselves because they miss the stimulus. Well thats what my brother recons he read. Perhaps I should whack in a rubik's cube, see if that calms them down a bit!

Do you know anything about breeding them? I would love to try as a project and my LFS despite the bad press I'v been giving them really wants some.

Cheers

P.s Those are really crisp pictures, what camera do you use?

Awsome! now I have a name when I google them, I actually get something that resembles my shrimp! And not advice like "These timid little creatures will rarely be seen, many hiding places should be provided, for these fragile little beings or else they may fall prey to your fish" All the while I'm reading, I can feel their eyes burning into my back from ontop of their bogwood, as they decide whether or not they can take me down next time I put my hand in the tank, whilst chowing down on my 7" Gibbicep.

O.k that is perhaps a smidge of a hyperbole, but not far off.

I also was sold these under a different name, 'Ghost shrimp', however the YTS girl also told me that she thought the large syndontis in the corner tank was a type of dolphin (Hand on heart, honest) so I probably should have suspected something earlier.

Hey, have you tried feeding them by hand? they get the hang of it really quickly. Apparently they are really intelligent and tests have been done to see if they can remember how to get food in wierd and wonderful ways, like opening a lid or going through a maze, but if you stop doing it, they will starve themselves because they miss the stimulus. Well thats what my brother recons he read. Perhaps I should whack in a rubik's cube, see if that calms them down a bit!

ROFL.. The rubiks cube is a great idea ;)
I know what you mean about advise.. Pets at home just said they were fresh water shrimp and scavengers, wouldnt harm fish at all..PMSL..Yeh right and ive got 3 eyes and a 2 foot tail ;)
I did you a couple of vids.. Sad I know but I wanted to stick something on Youtube anyhow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Rmn25wPBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcPSqigAKhY

The first ones shows the male in action nipping everything as he goes by..lol I'm rather impresed how he can see the large male plec covering his breeding cave below his feet, and he cant resist giving it a nip to see if it wil respond :grr:
One of my males and my female were next to each other last night and it gave me a good chance to see the differenaces. female is 25% smaller... colour is small amount of blue but has red/pink all over, most noticible on the head and claws, and claws are about 30% size of the males too.
Ive not had a go at hand feeding... my tanks 2' to the gravel and stands 5' high on its base, as i'm only 5' 2" I have isues with doing anything in there including cleaning..lol I have to use a step ladder!!.. and to be honest if I accidently fell in they would probably try and eat me :S lol My hubby always said it would make a great glass coffin for when I die!!.. I think he may have plans for me...ROFL
Second vid shows the full tank at the end.

Breeding... from what I have read, they dont need brackish water to breed unlike alot of other large shrimp species, and the eggs hatch to fully formed young and not a laval state as most do. I guess its down to water perameters, enough hidding places and space, and if they feel happy or not. I would say with the male to female ratio you have its highly unlikley, they will be too busy beating the s**t out of each other to get round to any humping ;)

A tail you say!

Cheers for the video's, I haven't been able to see them yet, I'v only just rejoined the web after a year of being without, Its all changed! Utube, myspace etc is all new to me. I'm Mac based and everything is horribly out of date. I can't work out how to play video's at the moment but I'm working on it.

I don't get it, my shrimp seem to clumsily struggle through my tank getting themselves caught up in everything and having to untangle themselves from the plants. But if they are suprised or fighting they can get right across the tank in a flash.

I think I'm gonna try to segregate them more with bogwood to see if I can kind of mark out their territory artificially, who knows, total shot in the dark, but it might work!

I also have problems with the cleaning, but its not really to do with my height.

Cheers

P.s they finished the Rubik's cube, I now have one doing suduko, and the others reading Ulysses by James Joyce. I'm not convinced my brother was right about them being intellegent, they are really struggling with the symbolism.

Thjank god for this post, i was about to buy 2 of these labelled as 'prawns'. I figured they were shrimp but didnt know they would be the pet of the devil. Thx think I'll give them a miss.

Woah thats really cool. I've seen them in my lfs as teeny little babies just over an inch long labelled as "long-armed freshwater shrimp", but i dont think i'll risk it.

Good videos too, but one of the 'related' videos that came up at the end of the first vid you posted really really disturbed me and pissed me off :angry: . I warn everybody not to actually watch it but just to leave a bad rating-its really disgusting and although common practice i think its unfair when it can be avoided. Its called "FishyF*ckers" :-( .

Woah thats really cool. I've seen them in my lfs as teeny little babies just over an inch long labelled as "long-armed freshwater shrimp", but i dont think i'll risk it.

Good videos too, but one of the 'related' videos that came up at the end of the first vid you posted really really disturbed me and pissed me off :angry: . I warn everybody not to actually watch it but just to leave a bad rating-its really disgusting and although common practice i think its unfair when it can be avoided. Its called "FishyF*ckers" :-( .

that vid is sick, usually when I watch other cruel fish vids (people post em on the forum, I don't look for em) I feel bad but that was sick

was it still moving at the end? :sick: :sick: :sick:

:sick: You must be talking about the pirannah feeding vid :sick: , someone posted it a few days ago in the Photo section on here. I must admit it was really sad to watch, not that I watched it all... That poor fish :-(

Long arm shrimp.. Demon crustation from hell :hyper: ..lol
Ok they are a bit nippy ;) .. but mine have only nipped to make way for themselves to get from A -B Ive started hand feeding them with bits of defrosted shrimp and they love it :nod: . If figure if i keep them full they wont be tempted..ROFL.. First sign of trouble and the males are in the PAN!!.. The female bothers nothing, she just cleans the gravel and picks up scraps.

My large male was sat one his woodpole the other day and I had to do a double take.. he was eating his own head!..ROFL Hed just malted and was eating the head part of the moult..lol Then after he finished that he started to nibble down one of his feelers that had got broken off. Not sure if it came of when he molted or the other one nipped it off, but he nibbled about 1cm off it and took it right down to the skeleton part that covers it at the base :sick: .. I think it must have hurt as he did winde while he was doing it :crazy:

They sell these all over at the moment and on e.bay too.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back