I Have Evil Shrimp!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Littleme, I told you they were into self sculpting! plus perhaps they struggle sometimes shedding, I heard they are quite vunerable when and after they shed.

The dilema about having three males has resolved itself, whilst I was umming and arrrring about what to do, the two biggest ones took it apon themselves to team up and pull the other one limb from limb, I got there at about the point of no return. To pull him out would have probably prolonged the death.

So I just kind of sat and watched, it was horrible but a bit like when you drive past a car accident on the motorway, you kind of have to look. The irony was that they worked quite well as a team in the mindless destruction of their own kind (a bit like humans I spose)

bugger!

For anyone interested in further research the scientific name is Macrobrachium rosenbergii.

Those who have them make sure you plan for something that can grow to around 10 inches long and take out practically any fish they want, i learnt the hard way and lost an expensive predatory catfish to one.

For anyone interested in further research the scientific name is Macrobrachium rosenbergii.

Those who have them make sure you plan for something that can grow to around 10 inches long and take out practically any fish they want, i learnt the hard way and lost an expensive predatory catfish to one.

Thanks for that CFC! :) I thought i read somewhere they only got to 10cm, which would have been a very big mistake :crazy: .

Littleme, I told you they were into self sculpting! plus perhaps they struggle sometimes shedding, I heard they are quite vunerable when and after they shed.

The dilema about having three males has resolved itself, whilst I was umming and arrrring about what to do, the two biggest ones took it apon themselves to team up and pull the other one limb from limb, I got there at about the point of no return. To pull him out would have probably prolonged the death.

So I just kind of sat and watched, it was horrible but a bit like when you drive past a car accident on the motorway, you kind of have to look. The irony was that they worked quite well as a team in the mindless destruction of their own kind (a bit like humans I spose)

bugger!

I think you must have the demon version :devil: lol.. or its down to the tank size. Apart from eating bits of themselves, and a dead platy I gave them to share the other day :sick: they only clean up. I noticed the other day one picking a dead young apple snail out of its shell. A bit like your road crash thing :sick: a bit grusome but you just have to watch. I guess I must just have the right ratio and size of tank to get away with it. that and the fact they are well fed :huh: I just hope it stays that way as I would hate to have to get rid of them.

Species type.. I saw above someone mentioned 10inches in size. As far as Im aware this type only get to 10cm body + 5cms arms.. 15cms max. Looking at that I would say my big male is 3/4 the way there already after 3 months and 3 moults. But just watch them go and prove me wrong!..ROFL
Even as big as he is, ive not seen him attack anything, other than chase the other shrimp when they had something he fancied having a nibble of :S So either this is how they will stay **HOPES ** or they are lulling me into a false sense of security :sly:

if you do need to get rid of em, I want I want I want :lol:

PMSL.. I'll box them up and even pay the postage :good: .. If they step out of line!!

I was talking some pics of the tank earlier and he must have thought it was lunch time :hey: .. as I was just about to take a pic of one of male albino bristles sat on a lump of bog wood, when a pair of claws got thrown over the top of the wood and I got this shot..
Sv400103.jpg

:hyper: ..Hes turning out to be quite the charachter B) :shifty:

You can see the antenna that he lopped off :lol: . Great picture :) . All the Macrobrachium species listed on petshrimp.com seem to require alkaline water, so unless i just happen to find a smaller species that likes acidic water then i think im just going to settle for a giant African filter shrimp(which are still very cool). Of coarse, this is in the 'near' future when i get my 67 gallon :rolleyes: .

Also, i dont know if that is Macrobrachium rosenbergii -_- . All the pictures i get on the internet seem to look different, mainly just the claws though. Having said that, alot of the pictures on the web look diferent from each other too :/ . I think its just that all the shrimp are at different ages.
If that is Macrobrachium rosenbergii, expect his claws to grow all freaky-looking...........its kinda funny imagining him catching something with those claws, but i wouldn't risk it anyway.
26.jpg

Oooooooh this is tempting, eight is a bit much though and i need to reasearch what water they need. Also if i was to get only one or two £23.49 is a kinda expensive :/ . I think im going to have to wait till i get my bigger tank... :( .

is there any way we could share costs and shrimp?

then again I suppose you can't trust me lol

I would but i cant seem to find out much about them or what water they need(all the sites about them seem to be in russian or something) and i think im going to wait till i get my 67 gallon-which is probably going to be ages :( .

Also we kinda live pretty far away so im not sure how that would be possible lol.

Nice idea though and maybe in the future :) .

You do indeed have juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii. This widely aquacultured and highly personable species, in nature, ranges from Pakistan to Australia. As the following images should evince, these shrimp typically get much larger than 10 cm:
Holly S**T :S :huh: ..looks like its lobster for tea then in about 6 months :hey:
I'm hoping that the size of tank will restrict growth :sad: .. I cant have monsters like that in my tank!!
Mine seem to have stopped growing. I took the second male out of the main tank and moved him into the 30g. That seems to have calmed things right down in the main tank. Ive still not noticed any aggression towards my fish. They have a little nip/poke if anything is in their way while moving around the tank. Ive seen them sat with plecs and corys at the side of them and not even attempt to attack them.
Boris shed again last week and has grown back his itenna. I'm hoping that ive got the small variety and not the wild giant one, otherwise i'm afraid they will have to go, and PETS AT HOME are going to get one large ear bashing from me fo selling these!! as I asked about size and compatability and was assured they were a small variety and not aggressive. :/

You do indeed have juvenile Macrobrachium rosenbergii. This widely aquacultured and highly personable species, in nature, ranges from Pakistan to Australia. As the following images should evince, these shrimp typically get much larger than 10 cm:

* Massive adult male
* Shed skin
* Exuvium owner
* Papuan morphotype
* Specimen against ruler

My word, those are some long claws, why they would evolve anything like that is a mystry to me :blink: . Then again there are stranger things in the world.

PETS AT HOME are going to get one large ear bashing from me fo selling these!! as I asked about size and compatability and was assured they were a small variety and not aggressive. :/

Lol, i hope you kept your receipt guarantee thing, should be a laugh :lol: . Pets@homes only ever good for buying equipment, i was in one of the pets@home up here and i found them selling a 'rare loach' for £15. It was really just a yo-yo loach :rolleyes: .

My word, those are some long claws, why they would evolve anything like that is a mystry to me :blink: . Then again there are stranger things in the world.

PETS AT HOME are going to get one large ear bashing from me fo selling these!! as I asked about size and compatability and was assured they were a small variety and not aggressive. :/

Lol, i hope you kept your receipt guarantee thing, should be a laugh :lol: . Pets@homes only ever good for buying equipment, i was in one of the pets@home up here and i found them selling a 'rare loach' for £15. It was really just a yo-yo loach :rolleyes: .

I love Pets @ home..PMSL :lol: They are great at giving out #### advise to poor unsuspecting buyers!!lol
Yes the advise is crap, but to be honest out of all the places I have bought fish from they have been best for quality. Ive had no deaths at all, where as both my large local fish shops ive lost about 60% within a few days of adding to my tank. Dont ask me why, i aint got a clue, i guess they must be getting their stuff from better suppliers.
I love the way they try to sell me more than one dwarf gourami..PMSL.. dwarf are best kept on their own, if you get 2 they just beat the c**p out of each other , but they will have it they are a group fish and you should buy 2..GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I like to go in there when I need a good argument! :hey:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back