I Have Evil Shrimp!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Holly S**T :S :huh: ..looks like its lobster for tea then in about 6 months :hey:
I'm hoping that the size of tank will restrict growth :sad: .. I cant have monsters like that in my tank!!
Mine seem to have stopped growing. I took the second male out of the main tank and moved him into the 30g. That seems to have calmed things right down in the main tank. Ive still not noticed any aggression towards my fish. They have a little nip/poke if anything is in their way while moving around the tank. Ive seen them sat with plecs and corys at the side of them and not even attempt to attack them.
Boris shed again last week and has grown back his itenna. I'm hoping that ive got the small variety and not the wild giant one, otherwise i'm afraid they will have to go, and PETS AT HOME are going to get one large ear bashing from me fo selling these!! as I asked about size and compatability and was assured they were a small variety and not aggressive. :/

Captive specimens, if properly cared for, may attain equal or greater sizes than their wild counterparts. Females tend to stay rather smaller than males (of which dominant specimens, or "blue claws," are larger and more aggressive than subordinates, or "orange claws;" with removal or death of a dominant male, the largest "orange claw" will begin to transform into a "blue claw"). See this image to get a sense of the differences between these morphotypes (presumably stunted male also visible).

On another note, this species requires saline water for larval development.

wow awesome, looks like I'll have to get a tank set up and paypal working :D

what tank size would one of these guys need as they grow?
Duno..lol I still think they are the 15cms veriety. Mine seem to have slowed down and are at about 12cms. They have their mature claws and colouring. I have one in a 30g and he seems happy in there. Like I said before I have 2 in my community 95g and they seem happy. Yes the bigger one does chase the smaller one but he never catches it..lol
If your keeping him on his own i would say 20 - 30g. Mine are happy to hand feed now.. I offer them bits of defrosted shrimp on my tongs and they snatch and run :) They also eat anything dead thats lying around.

:huh: this is off topic but i was curus in a post befor some one said some thing about sick pirannah feeding vid ?i would like to check it out but dont no where it is? i have never seen that sort of thing with fish befor so im curus :unsure:

Captive specimens, if properly cared for, may attain equal or greater sizes than their wild counterparts. Females tend to stay rather smaller than males (of which dominant specimens, or "blue claws," are larger and more aggressive than subordinates, or "orange claws;" with removal or death of a dominant male, the largest "orange claw" will begin to transform into a "blue claw"). See this image to get a sense of the differences between these morphotypes (presumably stunted male also visible).

On another note, this species requires saline water for larval development.

Like I want them to breed???NOT!!!!
Well Boris shed his skin again today hes now nearly twice the size of what I think is the female. Hes Huge :blink: and hes claws are looking way scary I'll have to get some more pics of him. I think they are going to have to go, I'm not prepared to loose fish :crazy: Plus at the rate hes growing hell soon take over the tank :no: Hes rapidly running out of spaces to hide in..lol I would say with arms out stretched hes around if not over 15cms all ready :S
I'll have to PM the other guy whos got these to see how his are doing.

:huh: this is off topic but i was curus in a post befor some one said some thing about sick pirannah feeding vid ?i would like to check it out but dont no where it is? i have never seen that sort of thing with fish befor so im curus :unsure:
Its a very sick vid!!! and watch with caution!!!
Go over to You Tube and do a search,, there are quite a few of them on there :sick: :no: :angry:

i dont no the name of the vid file so i cant serch for it ?

Well Boris was doing a bit of upside down fishing the other day so I took the chance to grab annd measure him.. :crazy:
Sv400031.jpg

Sv400039.jpg

Its official.. hes about 20cms already :blink:
And to top it all off, I put my hand in the tank today to move around some chunks of bogwood and it must have been his little hideaway as he gave me hell of a nip on the finger..ROFL So its SHRIMP Stirfry when I catch the monster!!
If anyone wants one of these demon shrimp let me know.. otherwise they are going to local fish shop, and if they dont want them I'm afraid I'll have to let hubby sort them out :-( :devil: :rip: :byebye:

wat happened to boris? :fun:
Well Boris is on his travels tomorrow. Going to live with a blue lobster :grr: .. So I guess that will sort him out!..lol and his 2 other shrimp mates are off too. Not sure how they will fair in the same tank together, but at least they have a chance. Otherwise I was going to have take drastic measures :crazy:
I did a head count yesterday and it turns out hes eatern about 12 tetras :no: a load of baby platties :crazy: half a dozen young apple snails :blink: and a dozen fancy tail male guppies :-( :rip: :byebye: I had no idea until I took a close look as my tank was well stocked. :shout:
Oh well.. I'm fishing them out of the tank tomorrow and if the person does not turn up, I will have to kill them with kindness :unsure: Thats a bucket of cold water, throw in a few bag buddies to reduce stress, then chuck in a tone of ice cubes. Hopefully they will just go to sleep. Knowing my look they will still be alive and up for a good nipping session :/ hours later :no:

Boris nooooooooooo! :sad:

Darn, they are completely Demon Shrimp! I can't even believe the usual prey Shrimp and become the predator! And taking out an Angel Fish!

At first I was really shocked and angry with them but Boris posing in that picture. :look:

Just a thought about putting them in cold water, wouldn't simply nailing them on the head with a hammer be kinder? Shame that you couldn't get a tank for them, they seem like real beautys.

Boris nooooooooooo! :sad:

Darn, they are completely Demon Shrimp! I can't even believe the usual prey Shrimp and become the predator! And taking out an Angel Fish!

At first I was really shocked and angry with them but Boris posing in that picture. :look:

Just a thought about putting them in cold water, wouldn't simply nailing them on the head with a hammer be kinder? Shame that you couldn't get a tank for them, they seem like real beautys.
Well a quick smash to the head may be kinder, but I coudnt do it :-( ... Ive used that method loads of time first put them in normal tank water, then slowly add ice cold water, then ice cubes. With the bag buddies in there it totally calms them, and makes them like..really chilled..lol so they just go to sleep in the end.

Boris is very much a charachter..lol, just to show how bright this shrimp is, ever since I took him out of the tank to measure him hes been super pissed at me..lol Before he used to come to the glass and waze his arms about until I offered him some frozen shrimp. Now If I walk into the room and he sees me hes off like a rocket under the rearest chunck of wood..lol I caught his little brother doing a bit of tetra fishing today, hung off the valis upside down waving his claws about. I switched the lights on early and caught him at it :blink: Think he was detemined to eat my last tetra before he left!..lol
My hubby said last night that it would be great to keep them, but I dont have anywhere to put another tank, so as much as I :wub: him, hell have to go and take his chances with the lobster :-( :byebye:

Your still struggling with the shrimp aswell! Mine have taken to gardening now, they hack away paths in my (even if I say so myself) what used to be a beautifully planted tank, I even had pearling, (I don't know what that is exactly, I was trying to get rid of it until I read in the plant section that it was a good thing)

I have no Idea how you have managed to keep them with such small fish for so long, mine will kill anything slower than a Pim Cat.

I did a little research, they get very aggresive if the water is even slightly out, I have found that if I leave the water out to dechlorinate (sp?) with the spare filter in, for a few days before doing the weekly water change they don't hate me as much!

I'm really curious to see how big they get now, mine too have got to about 20cm or so and I think I remember reading that only the alfa male gets blue rather than orange claws, both of mine have decided to show off and get blue claws, the female must be chuffed!

Please let me know how they fair with a blue lobster, I wouldn't try it myself, I would fear for him! but if they can live together it would be a pretty cool addition to the tank.

Boris lives to fight another day :p
Well the person never turned up for Boris and his chums :no: :huh: .. Which kinda pissed me off!! A quick e.mail or phone call to say "Thanks but no thanks" wouldnt have gone a miss :grr:
Anyhow I had already taken the two out of the main tank and bagged them up. I have a 30g corner tank that had some guppies and some albino plecs in so I thought I would turn that into a species tank for Boris and his mates :hey:
Having spent most of the day catching them from the main tank and then sticking that back together, then catching all the fish in the 30g, giving it a good all round gravel hoover and 80% water change etc. Boiling rocks and pebels, then building it up into a nice crustation paradise I'm pretty shattered :blink: . I even managed the old trick of leaving the heater on when the tank was empty, then whent he water went back in it exploded :no: :blush: Lol thats the second time Ive done that :crazy: . Luckily I had a spare :rolleyes:
Anyhow hes now sat inside a terracotta pot sulking!! :angry: .. hes so pissed at me he wont even come out to beat up the other 2 shrimp as they walk past the front of his house :hey: . Well I guess a few days and he will be back to his old self again. At least this way I can control their food intake :nod: so no more tetra snacks for them!!
I think I'll get a few red claw crabs to go in there. The rocks and wood are built up the side/back so it would be ideal for crabs to crawl out on the top. I'm sure they would be Boris proof :shifty: :lol:
Ive named his chums Zippy and George :hey:
Pics when the tank has settled a bit :)

Most reactions

Back