April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Please bear with me, I'm a little emotional over this.
I was on my weekly stroll around the shops when something caught my eye.
I noticed a poor little Ryukin Goldfish trying to swim in one of the tanks by itself. Not being a fan of fancy goldfish, but liking Ryukins, I decided to take a closer look.
When I got within "scanning distance" I noticed he was missing his entire left eye and the socket around it. He was also missing his left gill plates and I could physically see his right eye through the socket of the left.

I can't imagine how much pain he was in, and I couldn't believe he was still alive.

I asked the clerk why won't they do anything and she responded "We're not legally allowed to put animals down."

Upon second closer inspection, he also seemed to have fungus around his mouth and dorsal fins as well as a few strands starting to form in the socket.
I knew what I had to do, I bought him and took him home. I couldn't let him literally rot away alive.

I had some clove oil and basically poured him into a container with his tank water (from the bag), mixed the clove oil with warm water and slowly added it to his jug.

As he gently slipped off into unconsciousness and beyond, he turned to look at me as if to say "Thank you".

No point in posting this I suppose, I just wanted to share my horrible day.

R.I.P Ryu

Vic.

Please bear with me, I'm a little emotional over this.
I was on my weekly stroll around the shops when something caught my eye.
I noticed a poor little Ryukin Goldfish trying to swim in one of the tanks by itself. Not being a fan of fancy goldfish, but liking Ryukins, I decided to take a closer look.
When I got within "scanning distance" I noticed he was missing his entire left eye and the socket around it. He was also missing his left gill plates and I could physically see his right eye through the socket of the left.

I can't imagine how much pain he was in, and I couldn't believe he was still alive.

I asked the clerk why won't they do anything and she responded "We're not legally allowed to put animals down."

Upon second closer inspection, he also seemed to have fungus around his mouth and dorsal fins as well as a few strands starting to form in the socket.
I knew what I had to do, I bought him and took him home. I couldn't let him literally rot away alive.

I had some clove oil and basically poured him into a container with his tank water (from the bag), mixed the clove oil with warm water and slowly added it to his jug.

As he gently slipped off into unconsciousness and beyond, he turned to look at me as if to say "Thank you".

No point in posting this I suppose, I just wanted to share my horrible day.

R.I.P Ryu

Vic.

bless you :sad:

reading your story about
you and this little fish
as reduced me to tears
i am glad you did what you did instead
of letting die a slow painful death

Thank you everyone for your kind words and sentiments.

I told the Mrs as she walked in why there was a dead goldfish on her table and broke down into tears. I haven't cried like that in years.

Amazing how such a little life can really effect you..

Grow a pair its a fish it died move on millions of other animals die everyday, I have killed around 5 mosquitoes in the last 20 mins. I am not saying what you did was wrong I think it was honourable and correct but being reduced to tears over it is another matter.

I have euthanised loads of fish because of bad spearfishing in the areas I have worked, the insides are literally ripped out of wrasse and other less desirable species as people shoot spears at the large barracuda and tuna or other desirable species. As a result I get my dive knife out and slice its spine and if possible its head to ensure its death as opposed to twitching on the sea floor.

Grow a pair its a fish it died move on millions of other animals die everyday, I have killed around 5 mosquitoes in the last 20 mins. I am not saying what you did was wrong I think it was honourable and correct but being reduced to tears over it is another matter.

I have euthanised loads of fish because of bad spearfishing in the areas I have worked, the insides are literally ripped out of wrasse and other less desirable species as people shoot spears at the large barracuda and tuna or other desirable species. As a result I get my dive knife out and slice its spine and if possible its head to ensure its death as opposed to twitching on the sea floor.

Particular reason you decided to chime in and attack me?
Nothing nice to say, say nothing at all.

It must make you very proud being so hard! Very impressive!

Vaegavic, well done. You did the right thing!

oh grow up saltynay
clearly that was just posted for a reaction.
pathetic.

Vaegavic well done for doing the right thing for that poor little fish.

VaegaVic good for you for caring not everyone has a heart when it comes to little animals/fish dying painfully

ash

VAEVAGIC if there were more people in the world like you then it would be a much better place! In my opinion its much better to be too soft than too hard! :good:

I really am so sorry :-(

I'm sorry you had to do that, but good on you for helping the poor little thing :-(

And since when did caring about the welfare of an animal mean that you "have to grow a pair". It's called being compassionate, and I would hope that most people would be upset to some degree about having to end a life.

you did a good thing....

how much did you spend on the fish to "euthanise" it?

you did a good thing....

how much did you spend on the fish to "euthanise" it?

£2 for Ryu
£1.09 for the oil.
£2 for the container.

£5 in total to help ease suffering = bargain.

Thank you again everyone for your kind words, it was hard but necessary.

Hopefully little Ryu can now rest in peace.
I'm ok now, I just hope I don't have to do that again for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back