I caught wild sailfin mollies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I haven’t seen sailfin mollies ever here. I might have to order.

Please check with your state/county laws, to make sure what you did is legal. The only reason why I say this, is because here in Kentucky, it is illegal to take any wild animal in as your pet. Other than that, cool fish. :good:

Ya they are a non game fish so as long as they are not threatened or endangered which they arent there is not laws on keeping them. But they are already starting to eat flakes off the top. I might have to remove the big female because she is picking on the smaller ones.
Also you are able to keep fish at pets in kentucky as long as they are not threatened or endangered or have size limits.

So,when are we going to see photos of the river? The vegetation?..plants in the river? Do you have a go pro or other that you cant put underwater? What other fish are there? Texas Cichlids? Tetras?..I hear that the Mexican tetra ventures into south Texas. Makes a nice school..in the wild..they might be nippy in the aquarium.

Because of the corona virus I cant go to the river near my house anymore untill it goes away. But there are alot of species of gambusia and there are also amazon mollies were I live and also killisfish live here. But I dont have a gopro but next time I go I will send pictures of the wildilfe and plants. Yes texas cichlids live all over in the river I caught like 20 a week
Screenshot_20200404-233552_Drive.jpg
ago.

You are so lucky to have killies. What type?

Least killifish but I havent caught any yet because I just found out that they live here but I am going to try and find some.

There are a couple of vids on the San Antonio river. Where I saw the Mexican tetras,the Cichlids and ..it stuck with me,Brazilian Pennywort growing as a groundcover in the faster waters...it was flat and alongside Vallisneria.
I'm going to look again because I think he did find some mollies..not sure. It was fast water and all the fish were on the fin treadmill..good for them and healthy!

It would be interesting, that one you have fry and reproduce them, how the generations could develop other colors

I would be cool to keep them pure, as well as cross breed with store bought ones

Ya the san antonio river has mollies I have seen vids of them. I might try crossbreeding but I want to see how the fry look first.

I did find a vid on Sailfin Mollies in the Yucatan..was going to link,forgot. But I think youtube search should find it. I notice I saw just one male..with a blue tail and maybe 30 or 40 females in part of a very small pond with crystal clear water. So,Males must NOT like one another.

No I think that females dont give birth to many males because I saw a video of a guy catching some and he got like 2 males and 100 females. Also I have caught like 6 females and only 1 male.

I did find a vid on Sailfin Mollies in the Yucatan..was going to link,forgot. But I think youtube search should find it. I notice I saw just one male..with a blue tail and maybe 30 or 40 females in part of a very small pond with crystal clear water. So,Males must NOT like one another.
I am going back years, but I think I read somewhere on mollies, that the alpha/elder/dominate male get the color/markings and the look, herds around the female, juvvies (some males) and some lessor males, that have tried to blend in

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back