Favourite thing about livebearers?

thisisajoke5364

New Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Points
1
Location
United States
I want to know what’s everyone’s favourite thing about livebearing fish, whether its their colours, shapes, or behaviors.

Personally what I love most about livebearing fish is their behaviour. My favourite thing is going over to my guppy tank and seeing the males do their courtship displays, or my sailfin mollys ‘fighting’ each other to determine the hierarchy in the tank.
 
Probably the amount of colours and varieties they come in, particularly guppies
 
I really got into livebearers for years, and what attracted me was the diversity of species. There are many many oddball ones that rarely appear in our tanks, but are very intriguing (not colourful) creatures. If you ever get a chance to see and appreciate all the Xiphophorus species, or the many natural Poecilia species the hobby throws together and hybridizes (ruining them) , you can be amazed.

The behaviour is part of the diversity. If I had hard water, I would still be enjoying their odd shapes and strange behaviours.
 
I really got into livebearers for years, and what attracted me was the diversity of species. There are many many oddball ones that rarely appear in our tanks, but are very intriguing (not colourful) creatures. If you ever get a chance to see and appreciate all the Xiphophorus species, or the many natural Poecilia species the hobby throws together and hybridizes (ruining them) , you can be amazed.

The behaviour is part of the diversity. If I had hard water, I would still be enjoying their odd shapes and strange behaviours.
I totally agree. I like things like corydoras or tetras as much as the next guy, but if I had to choose between a Neon tetra or something like Priapicthys nigroventralis or Xenophallus umbratillis, I would choose the ladder any day of the week.
 
I had my Priapichtys nigroventralis in the next tank to some other fish from their broader evolutionary line - Aphyosemion killies. If you like colours, who needs linebred, unnatural beauty? Nature has produced far nicer things.
 
I like the colors, varieties, and activity in the tank of livebearers. Fancy guppies and Wagtail Platies are my two favs.
 
This

i-9sf7jdS.jpg

Xiphophorus montezumae
 
I keep a 29 gallon tank with line bred livebearers to help offset the cost of the hobby. Although I am more excited when I get my A. thomasi, J. transcriptus and A. cacatuoides to spawn, the local fish stores are more interested in my colorful line bred livebearers. Go figure. Although one fish store will take as many N. multifasciatus dudes I can give them. They are breeding machines.
IMG_3624.webp
IMG_2858.webp
IMG_2369.webp
IMG_2271.webp
IMG_1169.webp
IMG_1150.webp
IMG_1045.webp
IMG_0812.webp
IMG_0739.webp
 
Fancy form livebearers are nostalgia fish for me - they remind me of the tanks I and other family members had when I was young and frisky.

A lot of stores in Canada have trouble with imported guppy health, so they're very glad to get good ones from hobbyists. One of my biggest problems with wild form livebearers was that no one wanted them. I used to sell them online within Canada, but once shipping became more expensive than the prices I was charging, it was a problem. A lot of livebearer keepers are new to this and would blame me for the shipping cost, which was far beyond my control. It stopped being fun to distribute the fish.

Xiphophorus:
nezahualcoyotl
montezumae
birchmanni
variatus
milleri
I still have milleri, but over time they have become extremely spotted compared to how they were when I first got them 12 - 15 years ago. I do no selecting, they just breed themselves.
neza11 (640x551).webp
poeciliopsis and montezumae 005.webp
birch3aaa.webp
variatus2.webp
millerizz (640x232).webp
 
GaryE
That M. picta (orange) is just stunning…..

gwand,
Love the Coral Red Platies….
 

Most reactions

Back
Top