How to prepare twigs or branches?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Does this apply to Amazon Rainforest's waxy leaves? :rofl: Sorry, I'm tired lol:blush:

Yes, it might. Several years ago when I was discussing a tocxin problem with the curator of Freshwater Fish at the Vancouver Aquarium, who happens to be a cichlid enthusiast, he mentioned collecting some dwarf cichlids in South America and bringing them home along with some of the fallen dead leaves that cover the substrate in their habitat. He set them up, and all seemed well until suddenly the fish began dying rapidly. Turned out the leaves were toxic. In the habitat this was no problem because the water in the stream carried the released toxins further away, but in the confines of an aquarium the toxin had no where to go but in the fish.

Oh. My. God?! Where are you located on Earth?! Oh my god! That got me real shocked lol. Nooo.. seriously?! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Waiiitt... You're in UK? My tank is not big enough for 3 big pieces of bogwood, still £8.00 applies for me... :(
I am and they do mixed sizes. I've got a piece that's probably over a foot long in one tank and down to 6 inches in another tank. I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else yet.

Yes, it might. Several years ago when I was discussing a tocxin problem with the curator of Freshwater Fish at the Vancouver Aquarium, who happens to be a cichlid enthusiast, he mentioned collecting some dwarf cichlids in South America and bringing them home along with some of the fallen dead leaves that cover the substrate in their habitat. He set them up, and all seemed well until suddenly the fish began dying rapidly. Turned out the leaves were toxic. In the habitat this was no problem because the water in the stream carried the released toxins further away, but in the confines of an aquarium the toxin had no where to go but in the fish.
Oh wow, I never knew that :eek:o_O

They also sell azaela roots, but I'm not sure on spiders

Azaela is deadly toxic. Spiderwood frequently carries a toxic fungus that will suddenly leech out, and this can kill fish. I experienced this first hand.

I am and they do mixed sizes. I've got a piece that's probably over a foot long in one tank and down to 6 inches in another tank. I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else yet.
I never had a proper look at the sizes. My local one has like 2-3" wood and IS still for 5 quid

Azaela is deadly toxic. Spiderwood frequently carries a toxic fungus that will suddenly leech out, and this can kill fish. I experienced this first hand.
I have an azaela root and it never poisoned any of my fish.

Fish stores here rarely have safe branch-type wood. I have used oak branches that I collected after squirrels cut them off the tree in my garden. I left the branches to dry for several months (they were brittle dry), then left them out in the rain to rinse off. They worked very well in the aquarium, though in a few months they do get water logged and easily break apart. But oak is safe (leaves and wood), as is beech. Provided you collect it from a safe location.

I have an azaela root and it never poisoned any of my fish.

You were lucky. See this from online:

What is Azalea Poisoning?

Azaleas are a flowering shrub, closely related to the Rhododendron family of plants. It contains the potent neurotoxin grayanotoxin which can disrupt the ability of the cells of the body to return to their normal state after excitation. When ingested they can interfere with skeletal and nerve functions as well as hinder the action of the heart muscle. Abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, and low blood pressure are three of the signs of Azalea poisoning that can lead to serious health issues. If your pet has sampled any part of an Azalea plant, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian immediately. The flowering shrub Azalea contains a powerful neurotoxin called grayanotoxin which can disturb the proper function of the body’s cell membranes. Azalea poisoning should be treated as an emergency.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/condition/azalea-poisoning

Keep in mind that anything in a plant that can be acquired by eating will also readily leech out in water.

It can really depend on when you go in. For ages they had small pieces in my local one and then just as I was setting up my new tank they got larger ones in.
But I think that my local one has foot long ones..
Fish stores here rarely have safe branch-type wood. I have used oak branches that I collected after squirrels cut them off the tree in my garden. I left the branches to dry for several months (they were brittle dry), then left them out in the rain to rinse off. They worked very well in the aquarium, though in a few months they do get water logged and easily break apart. But oak is safe (leaves and wood), as is beech. Provided you collect it from a safe location.
I think that either my LFS sell safe ones or just azaela is just not toxic, but I could be wrong. I'll be looking for some safe ones (oak, beech and maple) then..

You were lucky. See this from online:

What is Azalea Poisoning?

Azaleas are a flowering shrub, closely related to the Rhododendron family of plants. It contains the potent neurotoxin grayanotoxin which can disrupt the ability of the cells of the body to return to their normal state after excitation. When ingested they can interfere with skeletal and nerve functions as well as hinder the action of the heart muscle. Abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, and low blood pressure are three of the signs of Azalea poisoning that can lead to serious health issues. If your pet has sampled any part of an Azalea plant, it is imperative that you contact your veterinarian immediately. The flowering shrub Azalea contains a powerful neurotoxin called grayanotoxin which can disturb the proper function of the body’s cell membranes. Azalea poisoning should be treated as an emergency.

Read more at: https://wagwalking.com/condition/azalea-poisoning

Keep in mind that anything in a plant that can be acquired by eating will also readily leech out in water.
Ok its a murderer :blink: :blink: :X

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back