How to prepare twigs or branches?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I've no idea what those shrub species might be, so they may or may not be safe.

Moving on from that big "?", if the branches have been off the shrub long enough to become dead dry, OK. I would not boil them as they may completely fall apart (boiling does weaken and separate wood fibres), and it is questionable what beenefit boiling might have anyway. Anything absorbed by wood can take years to leech out.

EDIT. As I was typing, Sylvan posted they are Privet. Apparently Privet is poisonous to dogs, so I would not put them in an aquarium.
So I can't put them in the tank sadly :( Disappointing but fish are more important :)

I don't know if it's the same with fish but with horses a good rule of thumb is if the plant has a waxy leaf then it's most likely poisonous to them.
Does this apply to Amazon Rainforest's waxy leaves? :rofl: Sorry, I'm tired lol:blush:

Do they sell spider wood? You can get some and cut some parts of the wood to get a twig-like appearance.

Pets at home do 3 for 2 on bogwood no matter the size and I think it's only a fiver anyway.
Does this apply to Amazon Rainforest's waxy leaves? :rofl: Sorry, I'm tired lol:blush:
Probably, most things are trying to kill a lot of other things.

Bogwood is £8.00 and other ones are £5.50. Java fern or anubias on a coconut hut are £9.90
That is dirt cheap.

At my LFS, for a small piece of driftwood cost me $18.99. Medium pieces cost $25+ and big pieces cost $40+.

That is dirt cheap.

At my LFS, for a small piece of driftwood cost me $18.99. Medium pieces cost $25+ and big pieces cost $40+.
Oh. My. God?! Where are you located on Earth?! Oh my god! That got me real shocked lol. Nooo.. seriously?! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Pets at home do 3 for 2 on bogwood no matter the size and I think it's only a fiver anyway.

Probably, most things are trying to kill a lot of other things.
Waiiitt... You're in UK? My tank is not big enough for 3 big pieces of bogwood, still £8.00 applies for me... :(

Oh. My. God?! Where are you located on Earth?! Oh my god! That got me real shocked lol. Nooo.. seriously?! :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Waiiitt... You're in UK? My tank is not big enough for 3 big pieces of bogwood, still £8.00 applies for me... :(
Yeah it's pretty expensive at pet stores here in the US, Amazon has some pretty great prices tho!

Most reactions

Back