How To Make Rocks Safe

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

starlitsunrise

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, 

I was just wondering what methods you guys use to make any rocks you may find outside safe for aquarium use? I have read you can boil them or bake them but I just wanted more opinions :)

Thanks!

I wash mine well with water, brush them and I don't use soap. But if you don't want to raise the pH of your tank you should use the vinegar test to test the rocks, If it bubbles it raises the pH

Please don't bake the rocks! Some can have trapped air pockets and in an oven this air can expand breaking the rock apart with force!

Boiling's probably OK, but perhaps just pouring boiling water over them a few times is just as good. A clean with a brush and then another soak with boiling water should be plenty to clean it. 

A few more considerations are the type of rock/stone. It should be very a hard rock, granite, quartz or slate, for example, one that won't dissolve and inadvertently change the water chemistry. As Derp suggests, the vinegar test is a good start. Try to avoid ones that crumble easily in your hands or appear to be chalky.

Boiling can cause rocks to explode as well.

fluttermoth said:
Boiling can cause rocks to explode as well.
very true, tried this a while back I do not recommend this :D My gravel blew up in a matter of 30 minutes

It is a good thing I asked! Thank you everyone for your advice! :)

OK, definitely no baking, and definitely no boiling! 
smile.png

starlitsunrise said:
Oh and while I'm at it, how do I make wood safe?
You can soak the wood for 3 days and boil it, if it is pre soaked boil it

I wouldn't boil wood either; it 'cooks' the fibres and causes it to break down faster.

Soaking in very hot water is all that's necessary.

Indeed, a good scrub and a good soak and it good to go.

Again thanks for the multiple view points :) you guys are very helpful!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back