Plants outside of the tank?

FattyFish

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Joined
Jul 14, 2026
Messages
145
Reaction score
241
Points
43
Location
Durham UK
I know many aquarium keepers have plants growing outside of the tank with the roots in the water, and I know that the most common are the Pothos type. I'm just wondering if there are some others that have been successfully kept, as I have had reasonable success with the following, and wondered if there are others that may be worth a look at trying to keep. The list below is what is currently growing out of my tank.

1. Golden Pathos
2. Peace Lily
3. Anthurium Flamingo (currently flowering)
4. Triostar, prayer plant
5. Purple waffle plant
6. Swiss Cheese Plant
7. Mona Lisa (Lipstick Plant) currently flowering.

The reason for having all these plants is to make the aquarium more of a feature and to fit in among our other houseplants.

IMG_1655.webp
 
To me, a tank with a canopy can not beat an open tank where plants grow out... I just love open tanks...!
I basically have a number of what you've mentioned in my open tanks.
 
I like playing with these ideas. I've had some good results over about 20 years, though not as spectacularly as @Magnum Man. I have most of those, plus Bacopa caroliniana flowering, like Calla lilies do planted in shallow tanks. You can also grow basil to eat. I've done that before. I'm starting some up next week. "Chinese evergreen" also grows well in low light.

I keep a number of jumpy fish, and overhanging leaves calm them down.
 
I have plants growing on the rim of five of my tanks, not so much for aesthetics, but as a reservoir for nitrate. I planted several kinds of Pothos, Chinese evergreen and peace lily.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top