How to cure Ich without killing beneficial bacteria

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Nstr95

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a case of ich in my tank. Just wondering what the best treatment for it would be. I have melafix and Pimafix, but Iā€™m wondering if those are strong enough. Iā€™m also nervous about killing off my beneficial bacteria because I donā€™t want to have to cycle my tank again.

Also FYI I have filter cartridge that has activated carbon inside of it.

Thanks for any help :)

You'll have to remove the carbon once you begin to medicate.
Seachem Paraguard worked great for me when I had an ich outbreak, didn't harm the cycle one bit...

You can increase the temperature of the tank (slowly) to 86 and leave it there for two weeks. Watch for the ich to fall off the fish and as they do, gravel clean them out of the tank. The temp increase will not affect the BB in the tank. Not all ich is affected at 86 degrees, some variants need 88 or even 90 degrees, so I would also use something like Paraguard along with increasing the temps to 86 degrees. This way you are sure to remove the ich before it removes your fish.

Last edited:
I completed the heat treatment a few weeks ago & everything stayed fine upto now, Although i do have a Bronze Cory that has something on his tail fin( in another thread) But dont think the 2 are related

Melafix and Pimafix won't cure ich, which is a protozoan parasite.

You either need to buy a medication specifically made to cure ich, or use the heat method.

You can increase the temperature of the tank (slowly) to 86 and leave it there for two weeks. Watch for the ich to fall off the fish and as they do, gravel clean them out of the tank. The temp increase will not affect the BB in the tank. Not all ich is affected at 86 degrees, some variants need 88 or even 90 degrees, so I would also use something like Paraguard along with increasing the temps to 86 degrees. This way you are sure to remove the ich before it removes your fish.
Thank you!

Don't use medication and heat at the same time because the combination will probably kill everything in the tank.

Heat puts the fish under a lot of stress and so does chemical medications. Combining the two can kill fish.

Either use heat (30C/ 86F) or medication but not both.

If you use medication you will need to remove the carbon from the filter.

You should increase aeration/ surface turbulence whenever you use medications or increase the temperature.

The following link has information about white spot and various ways to treat it. Post #1 and 16 are worth a read.

Don't use medication and heat at the same time because the combination will probably kill everything in the tank.

Heat puts the fish under a lot of stress and so does chemical medications. Combining the two can kill fish.

Either use heat (30C/ 86F) or medication but not both.

If you use medication you will need to remove the carbon from the filter.

You should increase aeration/ surface turbulence whenever you use medications or increase the temperature.

The following link has information about white spot and various ways to treat it. Post #1 and 16 are worth a read.
Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back