How to Catch Koi in a Pond?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

April_ht

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My koi fry have reached the age and size where they are able to be moved to my mud pond with a capacity of around 50,000 litres (is this able to hold 10-15 full-grown koi? No filtration, but planted with lillies and other plants and frequent rainfall with an average of around 200ml/month)
Anyways, the koi are currently around 10-15cm in length. I've been using a net to scoop them, but they are very shy and always swim to the bottom when I come nearby. I can't use a seine net, as there are plant pots and bricks on the bottom of the pond that get in the way. Is there any faster/easier way to catch them?
Also, what's the best way to go about water changes in a pond? Are these necessary?

You could try catching them in a dark mesh net at either just after sunset or just before sunrise, thus not casting a shadow over the water. My late dad used to literally lie in wait til it was semi dark and net them, they never knew he was there. You might have to do it over a few days and from different areas of the pond so that they don't get wise to it and scarper.

Scoop net and a torch after dark. Wait a few hours after sunset then slowly move the net under the fish and lift it up. Try not to shine the torch on the fish because you can wake them up before they are netted.

The only other way is to remove everything from the pond and go in with a big drag net. You can make one out of mosquito netting and a couple of 6 foot lengths of pvc pipe. Get the netting glued or sewn onto the pipe. Have about 2-3 meters of netting. Get 2 people, 1 holds each side of the net and you start at one end of the pond and walk to the other end.

-------------------
How big is the mud pond?

Where do you live and get 200mm of rain per month?
I would like 20mm of rain any time, 200 would be great :)

Big ponds don't normally get water changed unless you have access to a lot of free water and there are lots of creatures in the pond. Have lots of plants growing around the edges and in the water and let them keep it clean.

Have a drain with a screen a few inches below the top of the pond so excess water from rainfall can flow out through the drain instead of washing fish over the edge.

Scoop net and a torch after dark. Wait a few hours after sunset then slowly move the net under the fish and lift it up. Try not to shine the torch on the fish because you can wake them up before they are netted.

The only other way is to remove everything from the pond and go in with a big drag net. You can make one out of mosquito netting and a couple of 6 foot lengths of pvc pipe. Get the netting glued or sewn onto the pipe. Have about 2-3 meters of netting. Get 2 people, 1 holds each side of the net and you start at one end of the pond and walk to the other end.

-------------------
How big is the mud pond?

Big ponds don't normally get water changed unless you have access to a lot of free water and there are lots of creatures in the pond. Have lots of plants growing around the edges and in the water and let them keep it clean.

Have a drain with a screen a few inches below the top of the pond so excess water from rainfall can flow out through the drain instead of washing fish over the edge.
Agree with this. Fish are sluggish at night, making them easier to catch.

Hello April...

When I transfer fish from my outdoor pond to another tank, I have to drain most of the water from the pond and use an extra large net. By draining most of the water, the fish have nowhere to swim and by using the much larger net, I can easily catch them.

1650031743501.gif

Thank you all, I'll start with the net after dark method. I'm really hoping this works. This pond is much smaller, with a capacity of about 4000 litres. It was meant as a temporary home for the koi until they could no longer be eaten by the other full-grown koi in the mud pond. The bottom is also absolutely covered in sludge, and the water has turned vey dirty so I'm currently searching for a filter or even a pump to circulate water so that I can scoop it out. Love the advice, the action starts tonight ;)

NSW, Australia in an area near the coast. The 200mm was the average the past few months due to flooding, sometimes we even got 500mm in a month :D The monthly average overall though I think is 80mm? I could be wrong, sources are all over the place.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back