How should I cycle my tank? I need to do it fast!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The only way to prove a tank is cycled is to add more ammonia and see if both ammonia and nitrite are zero next day. If they are, the tank is cycled; if one or both are not zero, the tank is not cycled.

With a pH that low it is worth doing a water change to raise the pH, then add ammonia. Once the tank is cycled, you'll need to do another water change as more nitrate will be made.
Ok so I need to do a water change today to get a higher pH? After that add 116 drops of ammonia and by tomorrow if the tank is cycled nitrite and ammonia should be zero? If it’s zero do a water change to take out the nitrates and then could I add the fish in tomorrow if that all works out?

Yes, that's right.

At pH below 7.0 it takes longer to grow more bacteria. The best pH for fast multiplying is the high 7s. When pH drops it is usually because KH is low, and the bacteria also need carbonate (KH) for optimum growth. A water change will add KH and raise the pH, both of which will help.
Adding ammonia will make more nitrate, and before fish are added nitrate needs to be as low as possible. Realistically, this will be the same level as the source water.

Finally had a chance to check the water levels. I checked on the 24th and the ammonia was still high. Today everything was looking good (0). The nitrates were high as expected. I just did a water change maybe about 50% and now the nitrates are at .5 or so. Would it be safe to put the fish in tonight or should I do another small water change to take out more nitrates?

Mmmmm... wait until tomorrow... (I you haven't already have the fishes right there in bags...) test before taking a decision. if it's dropping fast...

Why not.

Edit: Nitrite or Nitrate ?

Mmmmm... wait until tomorrow... (I you haven't already have the fishes right there in bags...) test before taking a decision. if it's dropping fast...

Why not.

Edit: Nitrite or Nitrate ?
What do you mean dropping? The nitrates should stay at the same level unless I do a water change. I haven’t put the fish in bags thankfully. Happy to hear that I can finally put the fish in soon it’s been awhile. I tested before and after the water change. Before was probably in the 40s I think and now it .5, about as low as it can go before zero. Thank you!

I think I’ll put them in now actually the nitrates are only .5 probably lower than in their current tank.

If your nitrites are dropping on top of your water change..

At the moment, if your nitrites are Lowering / already 0 all the time...

And if your nitrates are raising and are under 40.0 ppm
You're good to go...

Keep a close eye on ammonia and nitrite for a while.

Did you add ammonia to 3 ppm and test next day? If you didn't you cannot know if the tank is cycled or not.

Did you add ammonia to 3 ppm and test next day? If you didn't you cannot know if the tank is cycled or not.
I added the ammonia and tested the next day and it was still pretty high but it was starting to cycle because they’re were nitrites. I added the ammonia late the night before and tested more in the morning so I should have waited for a full 24 hours before testing but I had family coming over because of Christmas Eve.

Good morning. Once the tank is cycled, you'll need to maintain the best water conditions for the fish and plants. I change half the water in my tanks at least weekly. Most times, I remove and replace half more often than this. By removing and replacing a lot of tank water, waste material is never allowed to build up and make the fish sick.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back