How should I cycle my tank? I need to do it fast!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Can someone put a link for the Dr Timā€™s? For some reason I canā€™t really find the right bacteria starter for freshwater only marine tank starters come up. Thanks!!!

Ask your favourite LFS to give you a squeeze in a fish bag from filtering media of one of their established filter.

They rarely refuse to do it and. This is the fastest way to seed your new tank.

Ask your favourite LFS to give you a squeeze in a fish bag from filtering media of one of their established filter.
Assuming the tanks at the LFS are disease free. We always recommend not putting LFS water in the tank when buying new fish for a reason......

Assuming the tanks at the LFS are disease free. We always recommend not putting LFS water in the tank when buying new fish for a reason......

Yes I understand, but I never had problems doing this, I try to put as less water as possible, only squeezing the filter media in the bag a couple shots and let drip completely, just to fill it a little with dirt before adding it back to the filter. then raise the ammonia level.

If you are doing a fish-less cycle, I'm really confident that cross tank infection risk is pretty low.

It's a personal choice / risk, But if successful, it's the fastest cycle I never experienced..

@MaloK

You know there was a soldier who went into battle 11 times and came out without a scratch. On his 12th battle he was blown to bits. Based on those 11 incidents one might conclude it is safe to go into battle.

Or how about the guy who fell off the 20 story building. On his way down somebody inside yelled out the 10th floow window as he went by, How are you doing?" The answer shouted back was "OK, so far."

I have only had ich in my tanks (of which the count sometime went almost to 30) and which I have averaged 20 for at least for the past 18 years. Both times it came in with new fish. Once they were shipped to me and once i bought them from a store. I was lucky with the second time on the store bought fish, since by them I knew I had to Q new fish. 15 fish- danios and tetras went into the Q tank, one made it out cured and alive. In the first case, I lost existing fish as well as the new ones before I beat back the ich. In neither case did I see Ich on the fish when I bought or unbagged them.

I have only been in one LFS where I did plop and drop with no Q (but that was the fish not the water in the bags). But in order to work in that store one needs to pass a very strict written test of their fish knowledge. And on weekends the limos and mercedes are often triple parked out front. The fish in this store are both very healthy and also about as pricey as you can find those species.

Finally got the doctor Timā€™s and some ammonia!! Planning on adding the ammonia (116 drops I believe) and the entire bottle of Dr Timā€™s 2oz. Just planning on following the directions on the website. Just figured I would post on here if there is any special advice anyone has! I already have bladder snails in the tank Iā€™ve been trying to get rid of them but I might have to just buy an assassin snail or use the snail pest remover stuff. Thanks!!

On day 6!! I havenā€™t been testing the water, just before I add the ammonia. Today is when I have to add another 116 drops. Here are the resultsā€¦

Nitrate- 20
Nitrite- 5.0
Ammonia- .25 - .5
PH- 7.6

The results are quite high and obviously to dangerous for fish. It says by day 7 and 8 you can either keep testing or you could just and the fish in. Am I going to have to do a big water change first? Should I still add in the ammonia today or just skip it and do a big water change tomorrow and then on the 8th day add the fish if the levels look good? I have the directions Iā€™ve been following in one of the pictures below too. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8
I would persist until Ammonia and Nitrite show a steady 0 everyday, before adding new ammonia.

And after a good water changes, add the full stock of fishes at once.

But, Cycling a tank in 8-9 days is pretty incredible, Your product is very good.

This grossly how my cycles usually goes. ammonia culminates around 11-15 days Nitrite 25-29 days.

timeline1.jpg

Iā€™m actually quite surprised by the amount everything dropped! I never added the 2nd dose of ammonia but I donā€™t think it really necessary. Here are the levels for todayā€¦

Nitrite- 0
Ammonia- 0
pH- 6.6
Nitrate- 10 to 20

Defiantly need to do a big water change Iā€™m thinking today? Maybe 50% no gravel to keep the bacteria in there. Iā€™ll test the water after and if itā€™s zero Iā€™ll add the fish tomorrow. If it still a little high Iā€™ll do a second water change until itā€™s 0 and add the fish in once itā€™s done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 4
I don't understand what you mean by "I never added the 2nd dose of ammonia" ?

The cycle is completed when you can add the full dose of ammonia and overnight it all disappears to nitrate with no sign of nitrite.

If you haven't added any ammonia since the beginning of your cycle. There is a big chance that your colony has been interrupted from starvation. If no ammonia is introduced at some point They will die off pretty rapidly.

I agree. The cycle is only complete when a 3 ppm dose of ammonia is added and next day both ammonia and nitrite are zero. You added a dose on Monday and it's now Friday. How long did it take for ammonia and nitrite to read zero? If they were not zero on Tuesday, it's not cycled.

I agree. The cycle is only complete when a 3 ppm dose of ammonia is added and next day both ammonia and nitrite are zero. You added a dose on Monday and it's now Friday. How long did it take for ammonia and nitrite to read zero? If they were not zero on Tuesday, it's not cycled.
I added 2 doses of ammonia the first was just 4 drops then the 2nd was 116 it was asking for me to do another 116 drops on day 6 but all the levels were still pretty high so I was waiting. Iā€™m not sure what day it is today. I donā€™t think I should add the 3rd dose because the test results show it is cycling. I was thinking I am going to do a large water change because the nitrates are the only thing that doesnā€™t read zero. The ammonia and nitrite are zero and the ph dropped to about 6.6 instead of 7.6. The nitrates are reading 20 ppm.

The only way to prove a tank is cycled is to add more ammonia and see if both ammonia and nitrite are zero next day. If they are, the tank is cycled; if one or both are not zero, the tank is not cycled.

With a pH that low it is worth doing a water change to raise the pH, then add ammonia. Once the tank is cycled, you'll need to do another water change as more nitrate will be made.

Most reactions

trending

Back