How should I cycle my tank? I need to do it fast!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishies4Ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank, it’s all set up just with no plants or water yet. I want to start cycling it now though. I have a 10 gallon tank that I have plants and fish in that I would like to move into the 29 gallon by Christmas because I am giving the 10 gallon to my little sister for fish or a hermit crab. What would be the best way to cycle the tank fast? I am not moving substrate or filter because they aren’t good and I have new. I have a few little things I want to change to the rocks before I fill it up. Not sure if I should add the plants if I were to try to cycle with pure ammonia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 35
If you are not moving the mature filter media, then you could try a planted cycle in the new tank (but I am unsure if you have enough plants for that?). Others will know.

Or you could quickly start a fishless cycle with Dr Tims in the new tank if you needed it cycled by Christmas. His is better than Tetra Safe Start for me.

A fishless cycle before Christmas without Dr Tim's, would not be ready in time, in my experience.

Could you transfer some of your filter media over from the current tank to the new? Not sure what filter you have but if its a sponge, for example, you could cut in half and put one half in the new filter just to help the cycle along. Other than that adding Dr Tim's or similar, as AJ356 said, would help things along.

I'm also about to cycle a new tank, was thinking maybe it would be ready by Christmas but perhaps I'm being optimistic!!

Hello Fishies. If you don't have used media, then this has worked for me. I set up the tank with all the gear and plants and fill it with treated tap water and dose a bacteria starter according to the directions. I let the tank sit with no fish for a couple of days to establish the water temperature. I acclimate a few small fish of my choice and change half the water every few days. That's it. If you have a small tank, less than 30 gallons, change half the water twice a week. Tanks 30 gallons and larger get half the water changed weekly. After a few weeks, you can add a few more small fish if you like. I keep the number of fish small. Make sure you don't miss a water change and always dose the bacteria starter along with the standard water treatment.

Hello Fishies. If you don't have used media, then this has worked for me. I set up the tank with all the gear and plants and fill it with treated tap water and dose a bacteria starter according to the directions. I let the tank sit with no fish for a couple of days to establish the water temperature. I acclimate a few small fish of my choice and change half the water every few days. That's it. If you have a small tank, less than 30 gallons, change half the water twice a week. Tanks 30 gallons and larger get half the water changed weekly. After a few weeks, you can add a few more small fish if you like. I keep the number of fish small. Make sure you don't miss a water change and always dose the bacteria starter along with the standard water treatment.

I think I’ll go with this option. I remember when my family set up this tank a few years ago when I was little we set up the tank and maybe let it run for a day and put the fish right in, and as far as I can remember they all survived. Would I fill the tank add the plants then dose with the bacteria? I would let it run for a week or so. Then test the water parameters to make sure everything is 0 then add the fish? Do you have a bacteria starter recommendation? Since my tank is 29 gallons I would change 50% of the water twice a week and would I re-dose the bacteria after the water change? How often will I have to do 2 water changes a week for? How often are you supposed to do water changes once the tank is fully established? Thank you for all the recommendations if the tank isn’t done by Christmas I have a few other presents I’m giving my sister and I could give the tank to her a little later. Sorry for all the questions there is a lot!! My tap water is from a well so I won’t have to treat it right?

I think if doing a fish in cycle "best practice" is to test water parameters every day and then do a big water change as soon as any parameters rise, repeating this as long as it takes for the cycle to be completed.

*sigh*
Please read the two articles here on Rescuing a Fish in cycle gone wild as my bet is you will need the information.

A fish in cycle takes months to do in terms of reaching full stocking levels not having harmed fish. Done wrong it is cruel as fish are harmed or even killed.

If you can get some Dr. Tim's bacteria and some ammonia, you can fully cycle, with no plants, in about 10 days give or take a couple. Plants use ammonium (which most ammonia become when put in water) and some will react badly if there is much ammonia in the form of ammonia in the water. So one should add less ammonia if trying to encourage bacteria that tjey would in a plantless fishless cycled.
https://www.drtimsaquatics.com/solutions/fishless-cycling/

A planted cycle should have plants added and needs no bacteria. The plants will arrive with some bacteria on them. Normally plants need a little time to settle in before adding the fish. And then you add the fish gradually as opposed to all at once in a fishless cycle.

There are two main factors that determine the speed of a cycle.
1. How much bacteria and/or plants may be present at the start. More means less time needed.
2. How much ammonia is being added and when.

The more plants one has in a tank the less bacteria they need to handle ammonia.

You're not doing regular water changes on the current tank, how are you expecting to do a fish-in cycle now with this one? I hope I'm not coming across as rude as that's not my intention, but you must be reasonable here.

I still think your easiest solution to this would be to reuse your current sand. You can separate the aquasoil from the sand by using a magnet or a sieve. You wouldn't need to use all of it, just put a layer of it on the bottom then cover it with your new gravel or whatever you've chosen. That way you'll still have loads of beneficial bacteria and you would be OK to add your fish straight away

You're not doing regular water changes on the current tank, how are you expecting to do a fish-in cycle now with this one? I hope I'm not coming across as rude as that's not my intention, but you must be reasonable here.

I still think your easiest solution to this would be to reuse your current sand. You can separate the aquasoil from the sand by using a magnet or a sieve. You wouldn't need to use all of it, just put a layer of it on the bottom then cover it with your new gravel or whatever you've chosen. That way you'll still have loads of beneficial bacteria and you would be OK to add your fish straight away
I don’t need to add my fish for another month. I will do the ammonia one if it will get done by Christmas. If what twotankadmin said is true and it will only take 10 days then I’ll do that for sure. I just want to get it done by Christmas. If I were to do the ammonia cycle would I add the plants in too?

I think I’ll go with this option. I remember when my family set up this tank a few years ago when I was little we set up the tank and maybe let it run for a day and put the fish right in, and as far as I can remember they all survive
Would I fill the tank add the plants then dose with the bacteria? I would let it run for a week or so. Then test the water parameters to make sure everything is 0 then add the fish? Do you have a bacteria starter recommendation? Since my tank is 29 gallons I would change 50% of the water twice a week and would I re-dose the bacteria after the water change? How often will I have to do 2 water changes a week for? How often are you supposed to do water changes once the tank is fully established? Thank you for all the recommendations if the tank isn’t done by Christmas I have a few other presents I’m giving my sister and I could give the tank to her a little later. Sorry for all the questions there is a lot!! My tap water is from a well so I won’t have to treat it right?
Hello again. Dose the bacteria starter according to instructions when you fill the tank and every time you change out the water. I've always used API "Quick Start". There are others, but I've used the API product. Change half the tank water twice a week. Say, on Wednesday and Saturday for example. This will keep the water safe for your fish. But, you'll need to follow this routine for as long as the tank is up and running. You won't need to worry about the tank being established as long as you follow the water change routine I've given you. No matter what the source of your water, you should always use a water treatment just to be safe and a bacteria starter. You can use the API "Tap Water Conditioner". Let me know if there's anything that doesn't make sense. You want to be sure of every step before you add your fish.

Hello again. Dose the bacteria starter according to instructions when you fill the tank and every time you change out the water. I've always used API "Quick Start". There are others, but I've used the API product. Change half the tank water twice a week. Say, on Wednesday and Saturday for example. This will keep the water safe for your fish. But, you'll need to follow this routine for as long as the tank is up and running. You won't need to worry about the tank being established as long as you follow the water change routine I've given you. No matter what the source of your water, you should always use a water treatment just to be safe and a bacteria starter. You can use the API "Tap Water Conditioner". Let me know if there's anything that doesn't make sense. You want to be sure of every step before you add your fish.

Ok just to be extra clear I would have to do 2 50% water changes a week for ever and I would have to continue to add the bacteria? If I were to do the ammonia route and cycle the tank would I have to do water changes this frequently and to that great extent?

Fishies. The standard cycling process with ammonia takes many weeks and you won't have the benefit of having fish in the tank during this kind of process. I do recommend using both the water treatment and the bacteria starter for the life of the tank. The two water changes weekly will guarantee the best water conditions for your fish. Any process you use to cycle a tank will require the same water change routine. You must change the water frequently to remove the toxins created from the fish waste material. You can never allow the dissolving waste to build up in the water or you risk poisoning your fish. Small tanks up to 30 gallons need half the water removed and replaced twice weekly. If you had a tank larger than 30 gallons, you would only need to change half the water once a week. The reason being that larger tanks have more water to dilute the dissolving waste material.

Most of us do a 50% water change every single week as routine. Water changes are just part of keeping fish, like cleaning out a rabbits hutch or mucking out the horses 🤷‍♀️ just one of those things you have to do

I have a 29 gallon tank, it’s all set up just with no plants or water yet. I want to start cycling it now though. I have a 10 gallon tank that I have plants and fish in that I would like to move into the 29 gallon by Christmas because I am giving the 10 gallon to my little sister for fish or a hermit crab. What would be the best way to cycle the tank fast? I am not moving substrate or filter because they aren’t good and I have new. I have a few little things I want to change to the rocks before I fill it up. Not sure if I should add the plants if I were to try to cycle with pure ammonia.

You don’t want to move the old filter to the new 29 gallon tank because you have a new filter. But are you OK to move the old filter to the new tank for 2 or 3 weeks while placing the new filter in the 10 gallon during that time. You can swap the filters after a few weeks. That way you’ll do what most of us do, weekly water changes and no need to worry about dosing bacteria every time you change the water.

Of course, there’s more than one way to do things, but for many of us who have a day job or attend school, a weekly water change is much better than 2 or 3 water changes per week.

Here is he best advice i can give you here. Ignore everything you have read in this thread except the following and you will be fine, They key is to follow the directions on the site where I am about to send you. Bo not deviate from the directions, do not listen to anybody who suggests you should and you will have your tank up and ready to recive a full fish load in short order.

I have cycle a bout 150 tanks or more over the years. I can set up a tank and stock it 100% in a single day and lose no fish. But I have been at this for a few decades. The keys to cycling are pretty simple.

1. How much bacteria one can have at the start is the first major derterminent of how long a full cycle will take.
2. The bacteria reproduce when there is more ammonia/nitrite than they need to thrive. Conversly they die back when there ius less than they need.
3. There are a few more things they need- carbonates/bicarbonates/CO2. The need inorganic carbon. they need iron and some other trace elements, many of these are in our tap.
4. Plants use ammonium (NH4) and the bacteria prefer ammonia (NH3). The plants can use ammonium faster than the bacteria can use ammonia. Elevated ammonia (NH3) can actually harm plants. And just like with fish different plants can be more or less susceptible .
5. It is possible to use only plants to make a tank ammonia safe. This takes time and requires one stock gradually. Tanks plants actually host nirtifying bacteria.
6. When using plants one must understand that different [plants will use ammonium faster or slower and that the toal mass of plants in a tank is also relevant in terms of how much bacteria is needed in addition to the plants.

Since you want to move over all the fish, you need to know the new tanks is safe for them all. Since we cannot see or measure tha actual bacterial numbers in a tank, the only way we can tell if a tank is fish safe is to test for ammonia and nitrite.

So if you are in a rush to get a tank cycled you have a few options depending on you level of knowledge and experience. You can get the tank ctcled in about 10-14 days with no plants and using Dr. Tim's One and Only. If you want to try the planted clow cycle, then you need to pant and let the plants settle in for about 10- 14 days. The add fish.

If you want to do a light planting and use bacteria, you need to reduce the amount ammonia being added to protect the plants. If you want to got the plant only route, then you still need to do an ammonia dose to know how much ammonia the plants can handle. if you want to go that route, I can explain how you can dose and test safely. It is important to use the right ammonia or you can use ammonium chloride.

Dr. Tim sells ammonium and so does Fritz- Firtx Fishless Fuel
https://fritzaquatics.com/products/fishless-fuel

Please be aware that both of the above products use a different scale for testing than most of us as hobbyists do. Scinece uses the Nitrogen scale which only measures the nitrogen. Hobby kits test total ions which means they include the Hs in ammonia (NH3) and the Os in Nitrite (N02) and Nitrate (NO3). So, you need to compensate for this in your testing and dosing.

Fortunately, both products use 4 drops/gallon to produce what they call 2 ppm of ammonia using the Nitrogen scale.
On a hobby kit this should read about 1.29 times as much. So our test kits will measure that 2 ppm as 1.56 ppm. For nitrite the multiplication factor becomes about 3.28. it gets bigger again for nitrate but do not worry about that here.

Finally. both unplanted and planted tanks need their water changed weekly. We do this for two reasons. The first is it removes some of the bad things we do not want yo accumulate in the water. The second reason is that things we need and want in the water get used up by the fish. Plants and any other critters we keep. So the regular water changes serve 2 purposes. There is a bit of wiggle room. Heavily stocked tanks may need more frequent changes while lightly sticked tanks can go a bit longer between changes. I just change water in all 20 of my tanks weekly. It makes it easy to keep track.

Just bear in mind that you will never hear about fish dying because their water was too clean. Clean doesn't mean pure, it means not having things in it that can harm the fish etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back