How much would you trust your pet to defend you in a fight?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Me and my fam were talking about if someone attacked us, would our pups defend us. And, it ain’t looking good for us 😂😂

Tomi- Score: 4/10. our first dog, Shiba Inu. He was super independent; would rather be outside 18 hours a day than inside and was a master escape artist, deadly hunter, and could *brawl* with the best of them. Killed small animals regularly, including catching a bird mid flight. Held his own against a full grown German Shepard. So, 10/10 could protect us *if he wanted to*. Downside? When me and my siblings would wrestle, Tomi would help whoever he perceived as winning and nip at the “looser”. The more the looser wiggled the more he bit (never enough to break skin tho). So wrestles quickly turned into a 2 v 1 situation. So: if you got in a fight and you were winning, you’d have a wingman. If you were loosing… well… Tomi was the opposite of a loyal dog.

Ellie- Score 2/10 - Alaskan Klee Kai. She’s currently 8 years old. Absolute loser. She barks and acts all big and has initiated way more fight than you would expect from someone who has never ever won a fight. “Fight me” she says and the proceeds to get her fluffy buns absolutely handed to her. So. She would definitely *try* to protect us. But she’d be more of a hinderance than a help, and need to be promptly rescued.

Yuki- Score 0/10 - Jindo Jack Russel mix, celebrated her second birthday yesterday. She can also brawl with the best of them. Everytime Ellie’s initiated a fight with her when she first got here a year and a half ago, she had Ellie WHOOPED. Ellie is the only one who ever got injured in these fights. Luckily they don’t have any more fights, but they play wrestle quite a bit and Yuki has to *let* Ellie win. So she, like Tomi, could in theory, protect us. But downside: she’s terrified of anything that moves. She someone would break in and she would just mysteriously materialize away- no seeing her escape. She would be there one moment and gone the next.

I don't think my fish or bird would serve much as to defending me. ;)

However, when I lived in Florida I had a black lab. The thing was a totally friendly gentle giant but don't mess with his family. If you threatened me or my roomie he would tear you apart and was totally able to do so.

Dogs are not the only critter that can defend. Before I left Ohio in 1987 I knew a biker that had a cockatoo that would ride on his handle bars. This bird was normally quite friendly but. like my lab, don't mess. When this guy was in a bar he would leave the cockatoo on the bike. Lay a finger on the bike and you might lose the finger.

However, when I lived in Florida I had a black lab. The thing was a totally friendly gentle giant but don't mess with his family. If you threatened me or my roomie he would tear you apart and was totally able to do so.
Labs are great, black labs are especially great (the first family dog I remember growing up was a black lab/whippet), and despite their general soppiness, if a big black lab is growling and snarling at someone, they'll soon realise it's a pretty large, solidly built dog and has just as many teeth as a shepherd or dobie.

My current Springer Spaniel/Border Collie would absolutely defend me. I know because she has. None of my previous dogs would have, but she's chased thieves from the garden, baying for blood and standing her ground in a way I'd never seen from her before - and they ran as if I'd released the hound of the baskervilles.

The other two times were when that peeping tom was peering in my window at night. She went nuts growling and trying to get at him, and absolutely meant it. I wouldn't let her fight for me - I signed up to protect her, that's my responsibility, and my job. She's not a large, strong, young or intimidating dog either, so I wouldn't want her to try. But she would try, and she'd alert me to any trouble before I'd pick up on it either, just as she's done those times. So I value as much for her much sharper senses, protective instincts, and that most people instinctively know when a dog has real intent behind the snarls, and don't want to get bitten or tangle with a dog of any sort, so will fuplie off and look for an easier target.

Dogs are not the only critter that can defend. Before I left Ohio in 1987 I knew a biker that had a cockatoo that would ride on his handle bars. This bird was normally quite friendly but. like my lab, don't mess. When this guy was in a bar he would leave the cockatoo on the bike. Lay a finger on the bike and you might lose the finger.

haha, absolutely! My Amazon is silly tame with me, but when he was younger and once when he was frightened by something, he's bitten me, hard. They have a lot of power in those very sharp beaks! Even then, I could tell it wasn't a full strength bite because we're bonded, and that he could crack my finger pretty easily if he wanted to.

My dad's old Scarlet Macaw had a much larger and more powerful beak! And he was my dad's bird, and loathed my mum (he was probably actually a she, but was already named, so "he" stuck) and would chase her around the kitchen table if she got too close to my dad! Those birds can do real damage, haha. Heck, even a budgie bite (especially the hens, that bite and then twist) hurts like mad!

Ellie- Score 2/10 - Alaskan Klee Kai. She’s currently 8 years old. Absolute loser. She barks and acts all big and has initiated way more fight than you would expect from someone who has never ever won a fight. “Fight me” she says and the proceeds to get her fluffy buns absolutely handed to her. So. She would definitely *try* to protect us. But she’d be more of a hinderance than a help, and need to be promptly rescued.

Yuki- Score 0/10 - Jindo Jack Russel mix, celebrated her second birthday yesterday. She can also brawl with the best of them. Everytime Ellie’s initiated a fight with her when she first got here a year and a half ago, she had Ellie WHOOPED. Ellie is the only one who ever got injured in these fights. Luckily they don’t have any more fights, but they play wrestle quite a bit and Yuki has to *let* Ellie win. So she, like Tomi, could in theory, protect us. But downside: she’s terrified of anything that moves. She someone would break in and she would just mysteriously materialize away- no seeing her escape. She would be there one moment and gone the next.

It's great that Yuki and Ellie settled who is in charge and get along now! I can imagine the early fights though, phew! Just for future reference, it's usually better when getting a second dog, to get one of the opposite sex. A male/female (neutered of course, I'm not encouraging backyard breeding!) are much less likely to fight. Usually the ***** will be above the male in the pecking order.

Two males can work- they might tussle or fight, especially as they reach adolescence, but they'll generally sort out who is dominant and then be pretty peaceful. But two bitches, especially if they're well matched size and temperament wise, and either close in age, or too wide an age gap, can establish a grudge and never settle together sometimes. I'm glad your two settled down though!

Labs are great, black labs are especially great (the first family dog I remember growing up was a black lab/whippet), and despite their general soppiness, if a big black lab is growling and snarling at someone, they'll soon realise it's a pretty large, solidly built dog and has just as many teeth as a shepherd or dobie.

My current Springer Spaniel/Border Collie would absolutely defend me. I know because she has. None of my previous dogs would have, but she's chased thieves from the garden, baying for blood and standing her ground in a way I'd never seen from her before - and they ran as if I'd released the hound of the baskervilles.

The other two times were when that peeping tom was peering in my window at night. She went nuts growling and trying to get at him, and absolutely meant it. I wouldn't let her fight for me - I signed up to protect her, that's my responsibility, and my job. She's not a large, strong, young or intimidating dog either, so I wouldn't want her to try. But she would try, and she'd alert me to any trouble before I'd pick up on it either, just as she's done those times. So I value as much for her much sharper senses, protective instincts, and that most people instinctively know when a dog has real intent behind the snarls, and don't want to get bitten or tangle with a dog of any sort, so will fuplie off and look for an easier target.

haha, absolutely! My Amazon is silly tame with me, but when he was younger and once when he was frightened by something, he's bitten me, hard. They have a lot of power in those very sharp beaks! Even then, I could tell it wasn't a full strength bite because we're bonded, and that he could crack my finger pretty easily if he wanted to.

My dad's old Scarlet Macaw had a much larger and more powerful beak! And he was my dad's bird, and loathed my mum (he was probably actually a she, but was already named, so "he" stuck) and would chase her around the kitchen table if she got too close to my dad! Those birds can do real damage, haha. Heck, even a budgie bite (especially the hens, that bite and then twist) hurts like mad!
Yes, dogs are probably the best protectors as you become the alpha of the pack and they will instinctively protect the alpha. Still birds are under rated. Sure, my cockatiel is not going to best an intruder but but their small hook bill is like a razor knife and can shread skin and draw a lot of blood... Even though small they can do damage. Still Terrabit is not going to drive off an intruder as a back hand slap would easily put him out of commission. However when you get to birds such as as Macaws, Amazons and Cockatoos they are large enough to take some abuse and their hook bills are much larger while not as knife sharp. The bills are also much stronger with the ability to remove fingers and easily break bone in a human's hand. I would not even consider messing with one of these birds if it were ticked off. They will tear you up!

That is just like geese. Don't ever approach when they have young following. They will beat you to a pulp and there have actually been cases where they have killed a human in protecting their young.

Omg. I would probably pee myself if a bigbutt bird came bearing down on me. I’ve only been bitten once by a smallish medium bird, through the bars, and that thing was sharp. No more sticking piggy fingers where they don’t belong. It happened bc every time I stopped to watch her (pet of a LFS owner) she would stick one of her claws out at me making a grabby motion. So, naturally eventually, I gave her my finger and she latched onto it with her talon, balanced herself, and then promptly took a chunk out. I didn’t even stick my hand IN the cage. Just hovered it outside. Never again. Despite the fact she still makes grabby motions when I take a moment to look at her.

Ellie and Yuki are wonderful guard dogs! Luckily We haven’t had any human enemies but they have definitely let us know when the mailman arrives and if a raccoon is in our backyard. So, I definitely doubt anything would be able to sneak up on us. But, again, actually defending? Not a chance. Ellie lost against a raccoon on two separate occasions. She tried her best, ran after them, accidentally cornered them, and got her fluffy buns dragged (how she hadn’t gotten any major injuries is a miracle). I wouldn’t actually want them to put themselves in harms way, If there was a fight. But it was just a fun conversation to have with the fam 😂it’s also just a good way to know the habits of your dogs to know what to expect in that situation. Example: Yuki running/getting off leash out of fright, Needing to shove Ellie out of the way if she tries anything/making sure she isn’t targeted instead.
It's great that Yuki and Ellie settled who is in charge and get along now! I can imagine the early fights though, phew! Just for future reference, it's usually better when getting a second dog, to get one of the opposite sex. A male/female (neutered of course, I'm not encouraging backyard breeding!) are much less likely to fight. Usually the ***** will be above the male in the pecking order.
Goodness gracious the first few months were rough. There was a lot of resource guarding which is typically what triggered the fights. Ellie resource guarding our affection/Yuki (the rescue) resource guarding food and toys. The worst injuries Ellie got were surface level scratches, as most fights were broken up pretty fast by us. But now they can’t get enough of each other. It’s constant sneeze filled wrestling. Yuki sometimes regresses, and we have to keep a closer eye on them but all closer calls have been defused by us before a fight could break out. We got Yuki to help with Ellie’s separation anxiety- we used to get complaints from neighbors that Ellie would be squealing for hours after we left home. And, it ultimately worked. Ellie is now right as rain whenever we leave. We didn’t know the opposite gender thing until after the first few fights… we simply wanted a female dog again because, in our experience, they were more affectionate and less territorial, and easier to give tummy rubs. Well. We’ve learned. And love them both to pieces.

They will tear you up!

Birds are dinos after all! I wouldn't want to tangle with a cassowary, or an angry emu or ostrich either. Most people are wary of them when they come face to face!
That is just like geese. Don't ever approach when they have young following. They will beat you to a pulp and there have actually been cases where they have killed a human in protecting their young.

I can't find any info about anyone actually being killed by geese. Yes they're pretty mean, territorial and often hostile birds, especially when they have young, but can't find a case of a fatal goose injury. Found one poor guy who died while checking on a swan nest though... He was their caretaker, so probably got into a bit of a routine and over-confident, then with how relentless swans can be combined with the freezing water. Poor man, and his family.

I love the GIF site, I really do! The fact it's older style is the appeal, it would lose all it's charm if it had the latest, smoothest, stupid same old GIF reactions that get overused everywhere else. The new fish ones you haven't added yet are adorable!

So, @Fishmanic , please can we request a fuplie reaction, a confused elderly person reaction, and enable animate gif avatars, pretty please!
begging pug.gif

One time I went hiking with my family and on a lake shore we sat down to eat lunch at a picnic table, only to unfortunately attract the attention of two very very large geese. And they kept creeping closer, to the point where they were in touching distance. And then I dropped a chip. That landed between my feet. And I watched as one of the geese just slowly put his head down there, between my legs, making beady eye contact with me the entire time with his freaky beak teeth on display, and I honestly thought that’s that’s how I was gonna go- dropping a chip and getting wrecked by a goose.

Luckily he just took the chip and scooted away but dang.

One time I went hiking with my family and on a lake shore we sat down to eat lunch at a picnic table, only to unfortunately attract the attention of two very very large geese. And they kept creeping closer, to the point where they were in touching distance. And then I dropped a chip. That landed between my feet. And I watched as one of the geese just slowly put his head down there, between my legs, making beady eye contact with me the entire time with his freaky beak teeth on display, and I honestly thought that’s that’s how I was gonna go- dropping a chip and getting wrecked by a goose.

Luckily he just took the chip and scooted away but dang.

Hey, I'm usually pretty good with and fearless around animals (respectful, but fearless - we don't really have much dangerous wildlife here after all) but that would make me nervous too! Geese don't play!

When I was a kid we used to go to a local park that had paddleboats and a man-made lake, and we'd go there often to feed the ducks, swans and geese. Once when I was about six I was standing at the edge throwing bread to the swans, when one swam up and scared the life outta me by going "NAM NAM NAM" and clapping his beak around my ankle! Didn't really hurt - was just shocked and upset! Still a pretty vivid memory all these years later! It was cygnet season, and that male turned out to be a bit of a bird nutter, and had to be moved or something. Too overprotective.

I may have never stated facts as to cases of geese actually killing a human but it is established that they have caused serious injury. As to the aspect of killing a human that comes from stories from my Great Grand-dad and may have just been an attempt to get me to leave his geese alone.

Still, even leaving out killing a human, gees will beat you to a pulp.

Well my cat spends most of her time asleep, and generally doesn't like other people that she hasn't met before (unless given a few days to get to know them) because she is a grumpy old cat (11 human years, it was her birthday 2 days ago :) ). I really don't think a Medium African Land Snail would be great (I say medium because he is still growing xD)

And fish speak for themselves. I mean. They are in a tank. Even though I like to refer to my danios as murder beans xD

I really don't think a Medium African Land Snail would be great (I say medium because he is still growing xD)

I mean, you could hold the snail up and threaten to slime the person? A lot of people freak out at the idea of a huge snail. Be weird and out-creep them, it might work!

When I was younger my cousins had geese - lots of them as they had a farm. When we (or anybody) went to visit we would drive into the garden and hoot until somebody came out to shoo them away.
As for my lab - the biggest threat to intruders is being licked to death :rolleyes:

I mean, you could hold the snail up and threaten to slime the person? A lot of people freak out at the idea of a huge snail. Be weird and out-creep them, it might work!
Oh you would be surprised at what a snail can do. :) ... or a garden slug.

I was what may be considered a rotten little brother with a sister 3 years older. Now consider that older sister was running water for a bubble bath. Now consider that our back steps were made from cut down rail road ties and a good source for worms and slugs for my fishing....

Of course I would never admit to such an atrocious act but say that one were to put a big juicy slug below the bubble line when an older sister was running a bubble bath. Of course such a critter would not like the suds and would climb to try to avoid.

Of course I NEVER did such a terrible thing but such a slug did happen to be in a bubble bath tub. With a sinister chuckle I still deny any involvement but my sister streaked the house with a scream and trailing water and bubbles. Not sure what ever happened to the garden slug as, of course, I was totally innocent and not at all involved. Still, even though I was obviously innocent, my mother tried to blame and punish me. Funny thing was that she could not stop laughing long enough to really punish. Are you all not lucky I was never your little brother even though, of course, I never did such a thing... ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back