New Here a couple weeks ago

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

LarsB

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
OK, so I was comment on someone elses into, and realized I have not yet do so, until now.
I have been dabbling in fresh water fish for well over 50 years. Been in the hobby, then out and back in several times since I was a kid. My grandma got us started, when she lived on the river with great water from a sand point. She grew WONDERFUL fish, mostly raised livebearers, mystery snails and plants...but her African Violets were out of this world (not aquarium related sorry)
Started this latest ventures, with a betta bowl. over 5 years ago, while I had a 55 gal tank (lost in the separation of relationship) and me, the dogs and betta escaped to sanity!!! that summer the place I lived, I had a large fountain and pool, so goldfish moved in....
Moved from there 8 months later, gave away the goldfish, ,but the betta, the dogs and I moved to the new place .... Internet said bettas need more, so soon 3 bettas each in their own 10 gal.... with tank mates .. (side note, my male bettas, in the long run did better, seemed happier and overall healthier, lived MUCH longer in my 2.5 gal hex tank than they ever did, over all, in the 10 gal. Most lasted a year of less, just not used to the freedom (?) not sure)
Set up a 29 gal for a betta sorority tank, 4 ladies.... did well but all faded with in 18 months. These bettas now days are not as hardy or strong as the ones we had in the 80's! I have bred and raised bettas 3 times in my life, yet no desire to do it again.
After the Males had past, I got into BN Plecos. A few long fin, a few short, some BE albino female long fins, normal fin and long fin albino..... 7 in the 29g, growing out... WELL, wait.. they say "we are old enough to breed!!!!" One day (dec 5th) looked over at the tank, thinking 'that black algae sure sprung up out of nowhere"... closer inspection, BABY BN PLECOS! he spawned again, pushing out another clutch Dec 27, though not sure who the mom was to the 2nd group. Since then, I have set up a 55gal, a 20g, a 20g long and another 10 gal. The goldfish have gone to a new home, and are indoor pond bound come spring... SO that freed up a 10 gal! The GF usually go outside to the above ground pool/fountain for the summer, but I have decided the BIG pond life at a local HS arboretum .. My friend is a teacher there, and he will keep "The Bobs" in one of his tanks until they can acclimate to the pond.... I think I am going to try some White Mountain Minnows and put them out for the summer.. any one done this??
Besides those first plecos, I have a very large BE lemon normal fin male. And recently obtained 4 BN pleco, calico juveniles and I am looking for some pure white albinos
I also have some Black neons, amber tertas, and green tets, corys, khuli loaches, snails and all of my plants are live, except for one that EVERYONE wants a piece of , and it is plastic!
OH! and my Blue Eye Java Rice Fish. Quaint little things. have a trio in a well planted tanks with many hiding places, breeding mops and a few baby plecos and some khuli's The khuli loaches have bred in that tank so I hate to move them. Rice fish spawn almost EVERY day.... eggs hatch in 1-3 weeks, After they have been in there for 3 wks, the trio will be moved to a similar furnished tank, to continue their daily repopulation of the water column! Hopefully, the residual eggs in the first tank can hatch and survive without the harassment from the adults! I would love to have a school of 20 or 30 in my big tank for Java RF!
I have some plans for livebearers (guppy, endlers, platies,,, Ideas?) and corys coming up. We have a FIsh Swap Meet, local breeders and some importers, next weekend. It is an hour and half away, but great fun, tons to see.... AND If I dont find what I want, there is a good LFS There and another Swap in April!
Baby plecos eating with dad

Attachments

• DSCN6886_Moment.jpg
    DSCN6886_Moment.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 60

Most reactions

trending

Back