How many guppies can I keep in a 10 gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

✨Eurobeat✨

Reaction score
How many guppies can I keep in a 10 gallon? No other fish, just guppies(All males or all females so they don't breed), as well as a couple snails. I don't want to do water changes more than weekly since I usually just do tank maintenance over the weekend.

How many guppies can I keep in a 10 gallon? No other fish, just guppies(All males or all females so they don't breed), as well as a couple snails. I don't want to do water changes more than weekly since I usually just do tank maintenance over the weekend.
probably 5
it is safer to get males since females might already store sperm
weekly water changes is good

which type of snail?
you could keep a couple of small nerites or some rams or bladders

probably 5
it is safer to get males since females might already store sperm
weekly water changes is good

which type of snail?
you could keep a couple of small nerites or some rams or bladders
I was thinking I might get a couple different kinds of snail, one of each.

I was thinking I might get a couple different kinds of snail, one of each.
there are MANY types of snail!!!
which types do you want?
send a pic if you do not know the species
most snails wont be annoying but assassin snails will bully and kill other snails because yummy

there are MANY types of snail!!!
which types do you want?
send a pic if you do not know the species
most snails wont be annoying but assassin snails will bully and kill other snails because yummy
Yes I know what different kind of snails are. Usually I just go to the store, See what looks cool, and google it to make sure it's compatible with my tank if I don't already know what it is, but some species I'm considering for it are nerite snails, mystery snails, and ramshorn snails.

Or bladder snails I like them too. Also Malaysian Trumpet Snails are cool but I haven't researched their care yet so have no idea if they'd actually fit.

I’d do 5-7 males.

I will keep 7 to 8 male guppies in a 10 gallon tank and I will make sure that I have the best tank filter for my guppies. Snails are an excellent choice for your 10 gallon tank.
If you are looking to lower the number of guppies and add more tank mates for your guppies then consider molly fish, swordtail, cory catfish, platy fish, harlequin rasboras, cardinal tetra and bristle-nose plecos for your tank.

Most of the fish in that list won't do well in a 10 gallon tank. Mollies and swordtails need a much bigger tank and even tetras, harlequins etc need a tank 60 cm/24 inches long.
Then there's the hardness question. Mollies, swordtails, platies and guppies are hard water fish, the rest are soft water fish.

Most of the fish in that list won't do well in a 10 gallon tank. Mollies and swordtails need a much bigger tank and even tetras, harlequins etc need a tank 60 cm/24 inches long.
Then there's the hardness question. Mollies, swordtails and guppies are hard water fish, the rest are soft water fish.
We can lower the number of male guppies to 3 or 4 and add one of these larger fishes like molly fish or a swordtail.

We can lower the number of male guppies to 3 or 4 and add one of these larger fishes like molly fish or a swordtail.
Hi Fish Dude. Am I right in thinking that you are new and have just tagged onto another thread to ask about your own fish selection? If so could you start a new topic for yourself so you'll be better informed.
For what it's worth, guppies, albeit being lovely, are in need of more space than most of their related family, ie Endlers.
You can put a few more of them in the same size tank and they look terrific.

poecilia_wingei_male_1[1].jpg

Take a look at this article. It states "A tank measuring 18″ x 12″ x 12″ (45cm x 30cm x 30cm) – 40.5 litres is big enough to house quite a substantial colony of these".
There are numerous types of Endler too so there's enough choice.

For what it's worth, guppies, albeit being lovely, are in need of more space
There are also smaller sized fancy guppies. Not all fancy guppies are large.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back