Hey! New Here And Ready To Talk Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ninjouzata said:
Aquabid, thewetspot, liveaquaria are good onlines places for fish.
smile.png

I have heard of liveaquaria but not the others. Thanks! 

Aquabid can be a fantastic resource. I've purchased many fish from various sellers with great success. Gunpowder aquatics, based in Florida, are also great. They have excellent customer service and they have a wide variety of reasonably priced inverts, fish, and plants. They also sometimes cut you a deal on shipping if you're getting a bunch of stuff.

Thewetspot sell on aquabid too. They are based in Seattle, I think? Somewhere in that corner of the country. They too have a wide variety of fish, but sell fish individually so the prices seem to be higher when you're getting a school of fish. I've never ordered from them but they seem to have some fish of every sort.

welcomeani.gif
 to TFF!

Can't wait to see your new setup :) 

These are great people here and they will help you with almost anything!

Happy Fish Keeping :)

sawickib said:
Hi welcome to TFF!

IMO quick start is a terrible thing, a member here did a long article about it lol dont know hwere it is though. Heres an article on how to cycle your tank the old fashion but bery affectice way to do it. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

So I used the ammonia calculator in the cycling website. I bought pure ammonia from the dollar tree. The calculator is saying I need .33 mL of ammonia to get 3 ppm. Is that correct?? For some reason I thought I would be putting a lot more in there. Also my water is already at .25 ppm for some reason in my aquarium. I'm assuming I should do more like .25 mL of ammonia to be safe so I don't exceed 3 ppm?

Hm, what have you put in your tank (if anything)? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? You may want to put your question HERE as I think you'll get more responses.

Nevermind....I found out what I bought has surfactants and isn't actually pure ammonia. Back to the drawing board.

You should be able to find some at Ace Hardware, if that helps. :)

Ninjouzata said:
Hm, what have you put in your tank (if anything)? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? You may want to put your question HERE as I think you'll get more responses.

All I have put in my tank are fake plants I have put in past tanks, a large fake driftwood tree stump looking thing that someone else used in a past tank, sand from Petco, and a filter someone used when I bought the tank. It has a new filter cartridge though. And the filter hadn't been used for a while or the plants and tree stump so I can't imagine the ammonia would come from those. I tested the water as well and it didn't have any. It could have small traces for all I know but my testing kit doesn't test between 0 and .25 ppm

And I have heard that ace hardware has it but I don't have one anywhere close to me :/ have you or anyone else had any luck with the Tetra Safe Start? I have heard positive things and that it's better than QuickStart for sure, but wondering if I could find anyone else that has had experience.

Oh I see, hmm. It could be a false reading but I'm not sure.

I havn't used it, no. Even so I think it'd be best used with the ammonia. Stinks you dont have an ace nearby. Perhaps you can find something on HERE?

I have had luck with finding ammonia at shoprite (the clear without sulfates and scents and additives). I have also tried some bought from amazon.com, but the solution wa sso diluted, I had to use most of the bottle to get the ppm where I wanted it to be! 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back